What our children's children will still listen to?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 02/13/2012 22:34
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
I would be quite pleased if the future rugrats were listening 2 The Beatles and talking about peace and love.

Lord knows this world could use a whole lot of both.

If one listens 2 classical music from the masters of past centuries. Is that wrong ?

Are they being nostalgic ? Or do they not feel that there have been greater classical artists since then, so they continue 2 listen 2 what they just plain consider the best music made?

Classical music and pop/rock music are quite different beasts and I was talking about popular music not classical music. But I am happy to take the discussion further if you like.

Classical music isn't really a hundreds of years old in the same sense. Nobody alive today has ever heard an original Mozart or Beethoven composition because at the time they were originally performed there was no way of recording the music. So when people listen to classical music today, they are listening to some kind of (in most cases what could be defined as modern) interpretation of the original sheet music that was written down hundreds of years ago. You have absolutely no way of knowing for certain whether it is being performed in the way that the original composer intended.

Think of it as a kind of cover version - produced/played in good faith but a cover version all the same. This is not dissimilar to the folk example I gave in one of my earlier posts (traditional music with a modern interpretation).

In the case of the Beatles, you are listening to original recordings by that band, exactly how the band intended their music to be played/interpreted.

To me that is different.

Look I am not in anyway saying it is wrong - if you like a certain band then great Very Happy . I just don't really want my grandchildren to be rocking out to the Beatles, The Sex Pistols or The Smiths!

I hope they don't say 'groovy', 'bummer', 'far out', 'wicked', 'rock out' or 'top banana' either... Confused

Last edited by Guest on 02/13/2012 22:47; edited 1 time in total
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/13/2012 22:46
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
GARY wrote:
I would be quite pleased if the future rugrats were listening 2 The Beatles and talking about peace and love.

If one listens 2 classical music from the masters of past centuries. Is that wrong ?

Are they being nostalgic ? Or do they not feel that there have been greater classical artists since then, so they continue 2 listen 2 what they just plain consider the best music made?

Classical music and pop/rock music are quite different beasts and I was talking about popular music not classical music. But I am happy to take the discussion further if you like.

Classical music isn't really a hundreds of years old in the same sense. Nobody alive today has ever heard an original Mozart or Beethoven composition because at the time they were originally performed there was no way of recording the music. So when people listen to classical music today, they are listening to some kind of (in most cases what could be defined as modern) interpretation of the original sheet music that was written down hundreds of years ago. You have absolutely no way of knowing for certain whether it is being performed in the way that the original composer intended.

Think of it as a kind of cover version - produced/played in good faith but a cover version all the same. This is not dissimilar to the folk example I gave in one of my earlier posts (traditional music with a modern interpretation).

In the case of the Beatles, you are listening to original recordings by that band, exactly how the band intended their music to be played/interpreted.

To me that is different.

Look I am not in anyway saying it is wrong - if you like a certain band then great Very Happy . I just don't really want my grandchildren to be rocking out to the Beatles, The Sex Pistols or The Smiths!

I agree. Thank you for answering Very Happy

I like 2 learn so I ask a lot of questions.

Personally, I'll just be happy if my grandchildren avoid prison Very Happy

We are a wild bunch with trouble in our DNA Anxious

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 02/13/2012 23:08
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
GARY wrote:

To me that is different.

I hope they don't say 'groovy', 'bummer', 'far out', 'wicked', 'rock out' or 'top banana' either... Confused

Let me see if I understood you correctly. So since classical music is sort of a cover version it's more ok for young people to listen to it than for example The Beatles, who were performing their own works?

Does that mean it would be more ok for your grandchildren to listen to Beatles-covers than the original versions?

And regarding classical music, is it more ok for young people to listen to Beethoven performed on a grand piano, because it sounds more "contemporary", than on the instruments of those times: the fortepiano and the hammerklavier? (this is getting way outta hand Laughing )
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/13/2012 23:10
  • Post subject:
See now you have totally confused me....

Think

I think I am saying you can listen to whatever you want to... I just hope that my Grandchildren aren't still listening to The Beatles, The Sex Pistols or The Smiths but to their own music!

But I am old and get easily confused so I might have meant something else altogether Anxious
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 02/13/2012 23:13
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
See now you have totally confused me....

Think

I think I am saying you can listen to whatever you want to... I just hope that my Grandchildren aren't still listening to The Beatles, The Sex Pistols or The Smiths but to their own music!

But I am old and get easily confused so I might have meant something else altogether Anxious

Yeah, I'm completely lost aswell... Think
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/13/2012 23:16
  • Post subject:

Far out man

• Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/13/2012 23:18
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:

Far out man

Mr. Green

Didn't you mean bummer?
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2012 01:06
  • Post subject:
I already have children's children and have tried to expose her to as many different things as possible. Every time she likes something a lot I add it to a playlist. She is four years old and it looks like this at the moment:

Alvin & the Chipmunks feat. Chris Classic - Witch Doctor
Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
Baha Men - Who Let the Dogs Out
Billy Joe Shaver - I Been to Georgia on a Fast Train
Bob Seger - Get Out of Denver
Chuck Berry - You Never Can Tell
Dry County - Cowboy Up
Far East Movement - Like a G6
Joan Jett - I Love Rock N' Roll
Laura Bell Bundy - Giddy On Up
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This
Middle of the Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep
Randy Houser - My Kind of Country
Ray Charles - Let the Good Times Roll
Slade - Run Runaway
Technotronic - Pump Up the Jam
The Coasters - Charlie Brown
The Coasters - Yakety Yak
The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger
The Knack - My Sharona
The Rolling Stones - Rip This Joint
Was (Not Was) - Walk the Dinosaur

She has rejected both The Beatles and Radiohead so far.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/14/2012 01:13
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
Middle of the Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep

That songs is almost as old as me... it was released not long after I was born. My dad for some reason gets a funny reaction every time he hears it Laughing

Bork wrote:

What a truly awesome Granddaughter you have Bork Laughing
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/14/2012 01:18
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
I already have children's children and have tried to expose her to as many different things as possible. Every time she likes something a lot I add it to a playlist. She is four years old and it looks like this at the moment:

What about Iron Maiden Think

• Visit poster's website