Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2018 04:42
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
Morrissey always sounds like such a miserable man. Heaven knows....

Whereas Bono, regardless how heavy the subject matter, is a glass-half-full-type-of-guy.

Someone has talked about this before. Maybe you?

Anyway, this is one reason I come back to U2. Even with the heaviest of subjects, somehow Bono has hope. It's like dude, this is utter shit, but I get it and you get it and... that's the beauty of life. Idk - talk about emotional depth sometimes the joke with U2 is take me to church and I'm not a religious person, but I feel like Bono has a way to connect humans in a way very few have. His EQ is through the roof - which is funny because sometimes it turns people off. They probably can't emotionally handle him, so they just dismiss him.

If you want to talk about the greatest emotional strength, show me a man who can simultaneously connect with 100k people in a heartfelt serious way? I mean it's been talked about on this site and with many over. I'm not just making this up.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2018 04:45
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Ha!

I am what I am.

I even bought a copy of Morrissey's Viva Hate a few weeks ago, thinking I might like that. No go. He was as annoying as ever.

I should like Cocteau Twins too, but don't.

But, I do dream-pop like The Sundays and The Innocence Mission, which I acknowledge to be descendant from all of the above.

Sorry, but I have to agree. I've gotten really close to liking Morrissey - probably because of a bout Gowi had with me about them.

I listened to a few albums more intently. Saw something... like maybe something at the end of a tunnel and it was just gone... and I ended up just remembering how annoying it was that the music and the vocals often didn't match and how at times Morrissey seemed sarcastically sincere and other times I just wanted to punch him in the face.

But we gotta remember we are defending Bono against Morrissey and well... I can see the arguements against Bono and sometimes want to jump on the bandwagon myself, and then I evaluate them both against facts and logic and somehow it all goes away... Morrissey likely isn't any more annoying than Bono. It likely is a personality thing like you said and well, Morrissey grinds us the wrong way somehow. Even though RKM and I get mos

On a second note, I nearly thought the explanation about The Smith's could go for U2 too, but most people wouldn't get that because they stopped listening to them in the 90s.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2018 04:46
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
I took it as a light-hearted jab at me, for my naval-gazing explanation as to why I like U2.

Hmm... I guess by the definition of the word you were claiming to have traits that maybe he saw as something that then would=The Smith's are great. And they weren't so pretentious means: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

So by that point of view sure.

I didn't think that at all though. That's a common thing as was stated to compare personality traits to musical interests.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/09/2018 07:33
  • Post subject:
I had always thought this song was about his dying father, but I was wrong.

MIRACLE DRUG
I want to trip inside your head
Spend the day there...
To hear the things you haven't said
And see what you might see

I want to hear you when you call
Do you feel anything at all?
I want to see your thoughts take shape
And walk right out

Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a new born baby's head

The songs are in your eyes
I see them when you smile
I've had enough I'm not giving up
On a miracle drug

Of science and the human heart
There is no limit
There is no failure here sweetheart
Just when you quit...

I am you and you are mine
Love makes nonsense of space
And time... will disappear
Love and logic keep us clear
Reason is on our side, love...

I've had enough of romantic love
I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up
For a miracle, a miracle drug, a miracle drug

God I need your help tonight

Beneath the noise
Below the din
I hear a voice
It's whispering
In science and in medicine
"I was a stranger
You took me in"

I've had enough of romantic love
I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up
For a miracle, miracle drug

Miracle, miracle drug
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/09/2018 07:35
  • Post subject:
From Bono...

"We all went to the same school and just as we were leaving, a fellow called Christopher Nolan arrived. He had been deprived of oxygen for two hours when he was born, so he was paraplegic. But his mother believed he could understand what was going on and used to teach him at home. Eventually, they discovered a drug that allowed him to move one muscle in his neck. So they attached this unicorn device to his forehead and he learned to type. And out of him came all these poems that he'd been storing up in his head. Then he put out a collection called Dam-Burst of Dreams, which won a load of awards and he went off to university and became a genius. All because of a mother's love and a medical breakthrough."
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2018 08:57
  • Post subject:
RKM - can't you see that's just baseless stadium rock ala KISS?

Kidding aside, that's actually one of my favorite songs on this album. Had no idea what it was about.

The way the guitar explodes feels and sounds more like a drug hit than almost anything I've ever heard. Even more than Heroin. But emotional and conceptual amateurs they be.

Probably best song on the album.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/09/2018 09:54
  • Post subject:
Vertigo is about the nature of power, desire, and temptation. Power can corrupt. Desires, even good ones, can be twisted and used against you.

It's an allusion to the temptation of Christ: the last one where Jesus is taken to a high mountain and offered the kingdoms of the world if he'll bow down.

Vertigo also links to the songs, City of Blinding Lights and Yahweh, with reference to the idea of a city on a hill.

It also links to A Man and a Woman, regarding desire. The "girl with crimson nails and Jesus around her neck" is the object of desire. Man doesn't live by bread alone...

Before anyone starts saying Bono thinks he's Jesus, I think there's truisms in there for any human, which is why these phrases live on.

--------------------------------------------------

Matthew 4:1-11
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Temptation of Jesus
4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He [a]then became hungry. 3 And the tempter came and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” 4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.’”

5 Then the devil *took Him into the holy city and had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and *said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down; for it is written,

‘He will command His angels concerning You’;
and

‘On their hands they will bear You up,
So that You will not strike Your foot against a stone.’”
7 Jesus said to him, “On the other hand, it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

8 Again, [b]the devil *took Him to a very high mountain and *showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory; 9 and he said to Him, “All these things I will give You, if You fall down and [c]worship me.”
10 Then Jesus *said to him, “Go, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and [d]serve Him only.’” 11 Then the devil *left Him; and behold, angels came and began to minister to Him.

-------------------------------------------------------

VERTIGO

Unos dos tres catorce!

Lights go down, it's dark
The jungle is your head
Can't rule your heart
A feeling is so much stronger than
A thought
Your eyes are wide
And though your soul
It can't be bought
Your mind can wander

Hello hello
I'm at a place called Vertigo
It's everything I wish I didn't know
Except you give me something I can feel, feel

The night is full of holes
As bullets rip the sky
Of ink with gold
They twinkle as the
Boys play rock and roll
They know they can't dance
At least they know

I can't stand the beats
I'm asking for the cheque
The girl with crimson nails
Has Jesus round her neck
Swinging to the music
Swinging to the music
Oh oh oh oh

Hello hello
I'm at a place called Vertigo
It's everything I wish I didn't know
But you give me something I can feel, feel

Check mated
Oh yeah
Hours of fun

All of this, all of this can be yours
Just give me what I want and no-one gets hurt

Hello hello
We're at a place called Vertigo
Lights go down and all I know
Is that you give me something

I can feel your love teaching me how
Your love is teaching me how, how to kneel

Yeah yeah yeah yeah

Last edited by rkm on 01/09/2018 10:16; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/09/2018 10:13
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
RKM - can't you see that's just baseless stadium rock ala KISS?

Kidding aside, that's actually one of my favorite songs on this album. Had no idea what it was about.

The way the guitar explodes feels and sounds more like a drug hit than almost anything I've ever heard. Even more than Heroin. But emotional and conceptual amateurs they be.

Probably best song on the album.

I can only imagine that. Too gutless to ever try anything. Always curious about LSD, but too gutless. Red wine will have to do.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/09/2018 10:22
  • Post subject:
@ rkm

re: Meyers-Briggs associations to Morrissey...

Who knows, I don't think it's really worth analyzing. What's on the album is probably partially him + theatrical persona. I'm sure his actual life and actions are completely different and much more nuanced, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 01/09/2018 22:31
  • Post subject:
People take Morrissey waaaay too seriously.

It was my dad who introduced me to The Smiths and I think witnessing my parents' approach to their relationship gave me an instant recognition of what Morrissey is doing in his love songs. "To die by your side, is such a heavenly way to die", it's gallows humour on the surface but look underneath and there's truly heartfelt devotion. Morrissey was always very sexually detached and repressed and this had the great fortune of inflecting all his romantic expression with a kind cynicism that was so earnest it defeated itself.

I personally think there's no album that better expresses what it's like to be a lower-middle class Brit than The Queen is Dead
  • Visit poster's website