Best Ever Actors and Actresses [LISTS]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 02/11/2018 17:29
  • Post subject:
Fine, let's do 100 Westerns. But not now. Isn't this thread about acting, haha? What was up with Jane Fonda missing the list?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 02/11/2018 17:44
  • Post subject:
Here's a list I made real quick for reference when we get there.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls021945899/
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States
  • Posted: 02/11/2018 20:42
  • Post subject:
So will Westerns be our next list? Or will we do a different list before then?
badseed

United States
  • Posted: 02/11/2018 22:08
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Fine, let's do 100 Westerns. But not now. Isn't this thread about acting, haha? What was up with Jane Fonda missing the list?

Like I said, I think it's a public persona kind of thing. I don't give a crap about political stuff but she did something that offended half the country a few decades ago. I think she said she wanted to smash George Segal during the filming of Fun with Dick and Jane. The outrage was hilarious but it definitely put a damper on her popularity and career.

But yeah it's odd, all her contemporaries (Keaton, Spacek, Burstyn) did great while she didn't do so hot.

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Here's a list I made real quick for reference when we get there.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls021945899/

Great list. Quite a few I left off in my five minute rant. Blazing Saddles definitely counts, and Hell or High Water falls into the post western genre. El Topo, also fantastic. . We both omitted a few Sam Peckinpah films; Ride the High Country is spectacular and The Ballad of Cable Hogue is awesome. We also forgot The Magnificent Seven (and its sequels and remake - haven't seen the remake yet). What's everyone's thoughts on Treasure of the Sierra Madre? It's kinda western, kinda post western, kinda not western at all.

hereforashortime wrote:
So will Westerns be our next list? Or will we do a different list before then?

Depends on who's hosting and when they wanna do it. I assumed 2017 was next but if someone wants to squeeze out another list before then, have at it. I'm down to participate but I'm not trying to run another one right now. It's actually a tad exhausting. But in a month or two once I get my stamina back I'd be happy to host that one. Also really tempted to jump start a new horror list next October and just ignore all lists containing more than one Saw or Final Destination Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 02/11/2018 22:58
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

Depends on who's hosting and when they wanna do it. I assumed 2017 was next but if someone wants to squeeze out another list before then, have at it. I'm down to participate but I'm not trying to run another one right now. It's actually a tad exhausting. But in a month or two once I get my stamina back I'd be happy to host that one. Also really tempted to jump start a new horror list next October and just ignore all lists containing more than one Saw or Final Destination Laughing

I'd be up for starting the 2017 list, but it wouldn't have a deadline for like... 2 months. They def are a bit exhausting to run Anxious I think a list before then would fit snug.

And let's remember to keep it democratic Laughing .... but I know where you're coming from Anxious
badseed

United States
  • Posted: 02/12/2018 00:20
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
badseed wrote:

I'd be up for starting the 2017 list, but it wouldn't have a deadline for like... 2 months. They def are a bit exhausting to run Anxious I think a list before then would fit snug.

And let's remember to keep it democratic Laughing .... but I know where you're coming from Anxious

Lol you don't know how bad I wanted to make another bea account just to get Christopher Lee on the actors list. I wouldn't actually ignore anyone's list but hopefully if the people who voted for all that are still here they've had time to discover some better stuff. Then again stuff like that is basically mainstream gateway horror for the non horror fan, stuff they think is edgy or gory because they haven't actually seen a really grotesque film. Kind of like the western situation. A lot of users hadn't seen twenty real solid films so instead of just making a top 20 they filled out their list with all the crap they've been talked into seeing by teenage girls (which is why if you can't come up with a big list, don't put a bunch of 2/10 films in spots 15-100 just to fill it out as that gives better films that more people need to see less chance of making it because Saw 3 or Young Guns 2 has been seen by way more people than Zombie or El Topo). Dammit, here I go ranting on our shitty horror picks again. I digress.

But yeah it's a tight fit on doing another list before the 2017 list. We usually take minor breaks to stop worrying about making lists and use that time to discuss the most recent one. With that said we're not some kind of official publication. We're a games forum. Everyone here has the ability to do it at any given time. Just space them out a bit, no need to hurry. All I ask is that respect is given to the lists and hosts of the past as I think we've got a good method down. And if you're gonna host, commit to it (and make sure Hayden doesn't have a hankering to do that particular topic, because let's face it, he's the man, and when it comes to a single top 100 list nobody can pull off a more appealing post). Preferably a veteran host if we're still doing movie themes (y'all wanna do video games or books or whatever, it's not really part of this series so do what you want). High IQ or being generally good with numbers or statistics really helps as well as having a solid, fool-proof technique* when it comes to compiling. It's a lot of work. Mistakes can easily be made if you're not experienced or dedicated.

*Here's a sample of the technique I used for the actors list. Basically for each vowel I started a new page. A-D, E-H, I-N, etc. Probably could have split it a little better (U-Z had considerably less names than the other four pages) but it was my first time doing something on this scale. It worked out well though. I could have used a table but my laptop is cheap so I don't have any of those cool document programs. Being good with numbers, I didn't add very many people's points. I eyeballed all the totals. If they looked like they were over 80 I used a calculator to add their total and if it was 90 or more I wrote the name and score down (again I'm really good with numbers, so the calculator was just a useless crutch that slowed me down but I wouldn't even recommend the eyeballing part to most people). Then out of all the names over 90 points it was easy to sort them into proper order.

Interesting fact you can see from that picture, if the handwriting is legible. Brando appeared on the first 12 lists then missed the last three (not the exact order of submission as the intergender lists got added last). For a while I thought he was gonna make a clean sweep.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 02/12/2018 01:53
  • Post subject:
^^^ You have neat handwriting. But wow you did it by hand. Impressive. I used a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet when I hosted the Sci-Fi/Fantasy lists. I retyped everybody's lists on the spreadsheet in reverse order. That way, whatever cell # a movie appeared in would be the # of points it received. That may have been more work than necessary, but it made it very easy in the end. The math basically did itself, and the lists wrote themselves.

Anyway, as for the next polls, I think Westerns belongs to badseed unless he passes it to someone else. But first, the 2017 poll hosted by Hayden in the near future. If we're gonna do something else before the 2017 poll, I prefer it be something quick and easy.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 02/12/2018 03:56
  • Post subject:
For sure, let's do a list for 2017 films next, I just wanted to get some thoughts organized for a future Western list.

I just watched "Brigsby Bear" and "Lucky" the other day. I would recommend both if you have not caught them.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States
  • Posted: 02/12/2018 04:17
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
^^^ You have neat handwriting. But wow you did it by hand. Impressive. I used a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet when I hosted the Sci-Fi/Fantasy lists. I retyped everybody's lists on the spreadsheet in reverse order. That way, whatever cell # a movie appeared in would be the # of points it received. That may have been more work than necessary, but it made it very easy in the end. The math basically did itself, and the lists wrote themselves.

Anyway, as for the next polls, I think Westerns belongs to badseed unless he passes it to someone else. But first, the 2017 poll hosted by Hayden in the near future. If we're gonna do something else before the 2017 poll, I prefer it be something quick and easy.

I had to attempt to write somewhat neat since I was trying to fit two names per space. My handwriting can be hit or miss as a whole. If I'm writing something I feel I'm gonna save for reading in the future it's neater than a 12 year old girl. If I'm writing a shopping list or leaving a note on the fridge it's usually chicken scratch.

The excel spreadsheet idea was ideal but I didn't mind writing it. I buy and throw away ten notebooks a year. I like to write. Plus I actually have a good eye for my writing so I can scan down a piece of paper to find what I'm looking for faster than I can use a scroll bar.

As for the western poll I suppose if I'm penciled in to do it, that works for me. I'm not rushing it. If nobody has any good ideas after 2017 I'll do it then but if another idea musters up a lot of excitement I can wait as well.

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
For sure, let's do a list for 2017 films next, I just wanted to get some thoughts organized for a future Western list.

I just watched "Brigsby Bear" and "Lucky" the other day. I would recommend both if you have not caught them.

Nice. I'll look into them. Haven't even heard of Brigsby Bear. I gather it's a western too?

<late edit> Just for fun I've used multiple sources to find what I believe to be every western I've seen. I've got 137. For some reason I was expecting more. So yeah, I guess I don't blame most of you guys for not being able to list many, but like I said, yay for recs. I dunno. Still might go 50/50 western/war but I'm just not the biggest war movie fan generally and I'd fear we only see Sergio Leone representing the spaghetti westerns of Italy if we did that, or no Anthony Mann films... To bring it full circle back to the actors list, James Stewart was in FIVE tense, gripping westerns directed by Anthony Mann. Each one of them is a great film, so much that I really couldn't pick a favorite or a least favorite without thinking it over and likely rewatching them. I'd wager not everyone who helped put Stewart at #1 on this list has seen all of them so there's my on-topic recommendation of the day.

Last edited by badseed on 02/12/2018 08:18; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 02/12/2018 08:06
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Quote:
Nice. I'll look into them. Haven't even heard of Brigsby Bear. I gather it's a western too?

Not... really... Think BUT, it's brilliant, and it'll definitely be on my 2017 list. Same with Lucky. Good picks ChiefRocka.

Badseed, if you're going to watch Brigsby, don't know anything going into it. Just hit play.

Also, I use Google Sheets, which makes everything uber fast. Couldn't even imagine doing it all by hand, that's insane. Shocked Hope nobody changed their lists last minute.