Updated Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy
  • Posted: 09/30/2020 16:54
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
But technically that's less than 10% of the list because it's so broad. When comparing 500 to 100, it's a lot easier for the bigger list to carry albums from a lot of people's top 100. If you have a top 500 list like Rolling Stone and both lists had say 49 in common for every 100 then there's a better reason to be legit. Rolling Stone's chart had the exact same number 2 as my chart and there are other albums in common with it. But my chart also has classical, jazz, prog and an ambient drone album as well as three soundtracks.

Sorry- I meant I have 49 in common with the top 100 of RS' list so it is really similar to my chart. The most similar chart on all of BEA apparently! I guess this is because I try to rank by cultural impact and I'm swayed quite a lot by popularity/sales. If I did a more personal list there would no way be this overlap. Still I was surprised the overlap was quite so high.
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/30/2020 17:02
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Yann wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
@ Yann

The list is titled 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Yes, but from today's point of view. So when you say "it would be nice if they realized that Jazz was THE music vanguard of the 50s and 60s", probably they're aware of that, but eventually their list didn't show that element of the past.

They can choose whatever they want but should re-title their list if theyre not truly taking "all time" into account. Its clearly geared (by far) towards today's trends. 5 years from now these trends will have passed (most likely, give or take). John Coltrane, Miles Davis, et al, will still have revolutionized music forever, even if they werent "poptimists" and didnt take part in the current hip hop trends.

Miles probs would've, mind.

Truth
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States
  • Posted: 09/30/2020 23:07
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Sorry- I meant I have 49 in common with the top 100 of RS' list so it is really similar to my chart. The most similar chart on all of BEA apparently! I guess this is because I try to rank by cultural impact and I'm swayed quite a lot by popularity/sales. If I did a more personal list there would no way be this overlap. Still I was surprised the overlap was quite so high.

I'd like to see something more personal. Discussing a personal opinion is much more interesting to me.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States
  • Posted: 10/01/2020 14:08
  • Post subject:
As others have said, I'm disappointed by the underrepresentation of jazz, but I quite enjoyed browsing through this list. This list is very USA-centered and it's especially a shame to see so few jazz albums considering that. I don't have too much of a problem with the list being so heavily American, it is an American publication. I'm also happy to see there's less compilations than older RS lists, although there's still enough compilations that it's problematic.

I wish that whoever wrote the blurb for each album got a little more personal and had their name(s) tagged on, that would've made for better reading. I guess I like the way Pitchfork does that (although I dislike the way Pitchfork does LOTS of things).
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 10/01/2020 14:47
  • Post subject:
i still have no energy to care about what RS's posturing this week
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States
  • Posted: 10/01/2020 16:13
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
I don't have too much of a problem with the list being so heavily American, it is an American publication.

Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2020 22:22
  • Post subject:
Rolling Stone was relevant for a short time, mostly around the music now known as Classic Rock. Just because RS has continued to exist beyond the Classic Rock period does not mean that they have been relevant. To EXPECT RS to consider jazz (or hip hop) higher than they do is foolish. That was not their purpose. They were a rock and roll magazine that saw its usefulness end at the same time that AOR FM stations became Classic Rock (oldies) stations. Just as many of the publications and people who ranked and rated albums...they all have periods and specific areas where they were relevant. It's okay that they aren't anymore. We shouldn't expect more from them. They served their purpose, and their views of a certain period have merit...but the RS view (and others) of all time falls short of what we are expecting it to be here.

RS falling short in anything other than pre-alternative rock is not disappointing to me. It's what I expect from them. I think the fact they may be even trying to expand at this point is kind of an embarrassment. It's too late to be playing catch up now...
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States
  • Posted: 10/01/2020 22:40
  • Post subject:
So which magazine do we attach our strings to now? I don't now about you, but ideally I'd love a magazine that treats jazz and classical with the same respect as mainstream radio, but I have a feeling searching for such a magazine through the top 100 lists for everyone of them would be an exercize in futility.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 10/01/2020 23:04
  • Post subject:
Big up Hip-Hop Connection's '100 Best Albums 1995 - 2005' list. If you know, you know. Which, y'know, you won't, because you probably weren't a budding, teenage, British hip-hop head when it came out. But that shit was transformative. Maybe the single biggest influence on my listening habits.

Still haven't checked this list. Might, some day.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States
  • Posted: 10/02/2020 00:26
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Big up Hip-Hop Connection's '100 Best Albums 1995 - 2005' list. If you know, you know. Which, y'know, you won't, because you probably weren't a budding, teenage, British hip-hop head when it came out. But that shit was transformative. Maybe the single biggest influence on my listening habits.

Still haven't checked this list. Might, some day.

I'd say 7/10 at best.

I didn't really care which lists I took recommendations from. In my youth I had a simple set of rules for truing out new music: if it was on a few lists, or I've heard a bunch of an artist's songs on the radio, or it sold well, I'd check it out. I stayed fairly mainstream with metal and fairly underground with punk, so I ended up loving metal/punk styles like grind, metalcore and crossover thrash.