Your most collected artist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
OFarrio

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2013 23:34
  • Post subject:
I've got a ridiculous amount of Beatles material thanks to my dad who had an obsessive collection, but I don't have any sort of idea what this adds up to, so the next artist I have most collected is probably Beck. Physically I own I think around six or seven albums.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 02/20/2013 00:47
  • Post subject:
Double digits:

Beatles
Aerosmith
R.E.M.
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Rolling Stones
Blue Rodeo
Tragically Hip
Wilco

Close:

Flaming Lips
Beck
Led Zeppelin
Roots
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 02/20/2013 02:56
  • Post subject:
Physical:
Josh Ritter - 7 albums, ~8 singles and other promo shit
Beck - 11 albums

On my computer:
DJ Sharpnel - ~50 albums

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/20/2013 12:24
  • Post subject:
Confession time again! My first collection of an artist's material started with a cassette of Purple Rain. I then purchased a cassette of every Prince album released up to then and continued buying cassettes of each album as it was released, right up to Batman, plus a bootleg copy of The Black Album, makes twelve.

When we got our first CD player, I purchased everything from Purple Rain to The Gold Experience with the exception of Come (which I realised sucked even back then).

Even without including the countless 12"s and CD singles I picked up along the way, this all adds up to a terrifying total of twenty three albums before I realised I probably should have stopped at Sign "☮" the Times.

Needless to say, my desire to slavishly collect the output of one artist ended shortly after I emerged from my teens. I don't even remember when I last listened to a Prince album and writing this down makes me think I must have been insane!.. Just one more reason for me to hate teenagers.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/20/2013 13:58
  • Post subject:
ButterThumbz wrote:
Confession time again! My first collection of an artist's material started with a cassette of Purple Rain. I then purchased a cassette of every Prince album released up to then and continued buying cassettes of each album as it was released, right up to Batman, plus a bootleg copy of The Black Album, makes twelve.

When we got our first CD player, I purchased everything from Purple Rain to The Gold Experience with the exception of Come (which I realised sucked even back then).

Even without including the countless 12"s and CD singles I picked up along the way, this all adds up to a terrifying total of twenty three albums before I realised I probably should have stopped at Sign "☮" the Times.

Needless to say, my desire to slavishly collect the output of one artist ended shortly after I emerged from my teens. I don't even remember when I last listened to a Prince album and writing this down makes me think I must have been insane!.. Just one more reason for me to hate teenagers.

You should go relisten to The Gold Experience ASAP. I think it might be in my Top 5 favourite Prince albums (although that could be nostalgia, given it was one of the first CDs I ever bought). I probably still listen to it half a dozen times a year, and it never disappoints.
ButterThumbz

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/20/2013 14:29
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
You should go relisten to The Gold Experience ASAP. I think it might be in my Top 5 favourite Prince albums (although that could be nostalgia, given it was one of the first CDs I ever bought). I probably still listen to it half a dozen times a year, and it never disappoints.

I hope I didn't give the impression that The Gold Experience was the reason I stopped buying Prince albums, I was just a bit Princed out by then. And yeah, there are a few really good albums after Sign "☮" the Times and I probably should have added NPG's Exodus to that list.

[Edit] You're right, it is better than I remember!
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2013 15:33
  • Post subject:
ButterThumbz wrote:

prince is one of those rare instances of an extremely popular artist who was also extremely talented. you were far from insane. his output from the early 80s through the early 90s is loaded with great songs/albums. unfortunately, his output has been spotty since after the aforementioned Gold Experience. even his lesser albums contained pretty good songs (Come had "let it go").
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2013 15:34
  • Post subject:
ButterThumbz wrote:
... and I probably should have added NPG's Exodus to that list.

i've heard a couple npg albums, and while they're ok, they're definitely skippable.
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/20/2013 16:47
  • Post subject:
paladisiac wrote:
i've heard a couple npg albums, and while they're ok, they're definitely skippable.

Exodus plays like a B side album to The Gold Experience and has a nice P-funk vibe. While I'll agree it's far from essential, it was certainly more interesting than albums like Come or Chaos And Disorder.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2013 16:58
  • Post subject:
ButterThumbz wrote:
Exodus plays like a B side album to The Gold Experience and has a nice P-funk vibe. While I'll agree it's far from essential, it was certainly more interesting than albums like Come or Chaos And Disorder.

yeah, come and chaos & disorder both had 1 good song, with the rest of chaos and disorder being a complete throw-away, so it's not saying much that another album was better than those, but i'll put exodus on the list to check out..
  • Visit poster's website