Are you really giving all music the same chance?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 16:25
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
There have actually been many instances where I have tried to close the door on specific types of music. Being someone who loves music above pretty much everything, this bothers me. And what I have discovered in many cases is that the reason why I don't like certian things is because I haven't given it a real chance, or I haven't listened to it with a seriously open mind. I've been told to not bother trying because I shouldn't waste time trying to force myself to like something I don't like...but I have found that simply isn't true (for me, anyway).

I think that there's something in all types of music for me. Getting my sometimes stubborn mind to allow for that can be a challenge, but more often than not, my patience has been rewarded. Hanging out here has helped me with this more than anything else I've ever done. I have had difficult times getting into things (hip hop, for example). I have come to know myself well enough that if I can take down that STATEMENT inside of my head that says "I don't like hip hop" and really give it a chance, that I can start finding those things about it that I do like, and I can start building an appreciation for that music. I cannot honestly say that I completely get hip hop, and maybe I never will. Who knows? But I DO have a growing appreciation for it. I can listen to it with an open mind and learn about it. Had I taken the advice that said to not bother, I'd be missing out. And I really don't want to miss out on any positive music experiences.

I don't know...it's hard for me to articulate all of this, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. More now than at any time in my life, I am finding that I can at least be open to pretty much everything I hear. And I'm finding that being able to do so is a damn happy place for me.

If you swap "hip-hop" for "metal" this post is pretty much my thoughts on the issue.
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 20:52
  • Post subject:
I honestly can't think of an album that I've heard that I've actively disliked.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 20:55
  • Post subject:
For me, there are only a small handful of them. Usually either I like it or I don't really care about it, but don't actively hate it or something. That's why I have less than 10 ratings of 65 or less, and most group around 75 or 80.
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada
  • Posted: 04/29/2013 04:46
  • Post subject:
Question: Are you really giving all music the same chance?

Answer: Nope.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 04/29/2013 05:16
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I honestly can't think of an album that I've heard that I've actively disliked.

I envy you. I wish I could say the same.
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada
  • Posted: 04/29/2013 05:34
  • Post subject:
In short, Tekin's first post says exactly what I think.

I have checked my top 100 and there are 15 albums from bands/genres I actively disliked or openly wanted to dislike but got caught because the music overwrought my hipness. That is not taking into account bands like U2 and REM which I actively disliked when they were "alternative" (the word back then for what is meant by indie nowadays) and started to like only when they became mainstream (how awful of me) - probably for the same reason they became mainstream (i.e. the music got better).

And since I am a fan of prog and my guilty pleasures are Billy Joel, Offsrpring and Blue Oyster Cult, I think it is obvious I do not like my music because the hipster crowd likes it - I am still looking for a first friend to like one of them with me (well I found one friend who also likes Billy and one distant friend I have convinced to love Smash by the Offspring but he always refused to listen to Americana which I find much superior and as for Blue Oyster Cult, I am still preaching in the desert).

Though it might be possible that I do not like Radiohead as much as I let it show -Oh1 man now I am gonna get it. I mean I did get OK Computer and Hail to the Thief, the National Anthem and Creep full blown but as for the rest I am still wondering why I bother listen to In Rainbows and king of Limbs every once in a while ... alright now I am going to get it for real.

An as far as An_Outlaw goes in creating this post or being himself a music snob, I judge a hread by how much it makes music talk, one of my favorite post had no single re-post from the original poster but went on for pages with people fighting over it and this post will soon reach the 10 pages milestone so, good job an_outlaw whther you meant it or not.

`
Necharsian wrote:
Hahaha is that greatness or hive mind you tell me

Isn't the hive mind an integral part of art appreciation. We rise with our idols but if they fall by making a crappy album we fall with them and hence strive to defend them.

I did try to like My Dark twisted Fantasy. It is so highly rated by so many people I respect but sorry. I tried. This just ain't music for my old weary ears. But i did swear once upon a time that punk music was too debased for such a connoisseur as me but Lord help me if I can resist Fresh fruit for Rotten Vegetables by the Dead Kennedys. There can be only one, one day i migt find the one and only hip hop album I like but so far for me

"That Kind of music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock'n roll"
- Bob seger

"It's only rock'n roll but I like it"
- The Rolling Effing Effing Stones

"Not till I'm ready for you, not till I'm ready for you Can I have it all now?"
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Silver
  • Posted: 04/29/2013 06:33
  • Post subject:
I think it's funny that Outlaw made this thread when he's one of the worst offenders of this on the site. I agree with the general idea of the thread in that people should try to generally give all music an equal chance, but Outlaw is using this thread as a way to say everyone should have his taste. Marvelous.
ColumnatedRuins

United States
  • Posted: 04/29/2013 07:42
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
I think it's funny that Outlaw made this thread when he's one of the worst offenders of this on the site. I agree with the general idea of the thread in that people should try to generally give all music an equal chance, but Outlaw is using this thread as a way to say everyone should have his taste. Marvelous.

Pretty much this, and that's all I have to say. Dumb thread. Agee with it in principle, but pretty sure the OP's insinuating that people who don't share his taste in music or like music he dislikes (particularly records that are acclaimed around here- Spiderland, Talk Talk etc) are doing music wrong, for lack of a better phrase. Or, more succinctly, disliking things like Fun's Some Nights must be pretentious "hipster" posturing based on petty cool kid disingenuity and nothing else. And that's pretty insulting, really. This is snarky and probably has already been said and said better but I'm procrastinating on studying for my exam tomorrow, so whatever.

lol man how can people dislike music I like and like music I dislike. they're not listening to music correctly that must be it
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 04/29/2013 13:11
  • Post subject:
Simply Outlaw came here and said you are all snobs, people responded and requested explanation but he chickened out and never showed up again.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia
  • Posted: 04/29/2013 14:09
  • Post subject:
I think if you listen to a highly acclaimed album (or an album that you expect to like) and you don't "get" it, you're more likely to keep trying than when this happens with an album that you don't have any expectations for or that not many people like. I think that's normal if not exactly "fair".

And then there's what tekin mentioned
Quote:
Sometimes you're indecisive about value of an album or your degree of enjoyment so you want to settle it with more listens but with some albums you see they're downright disgusting just with few songs.

And that's what I have to say about the topic at hand.
  • Visit poster's website