What Classifies a Genre or Sub-Genre?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:43
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
For example, just look at the new Lady Gaga album. What in God's name do you think would happen if it wasn't labeled pop? If it were labeled metal or hip-hop, would more people who are fans of metal and hip-hop buy it?

Would they buy it if it were labeled metal or hip-hop? If they listened to it first, probably not, because that's not the kind of music they're into. Or maybe they will regardless of the genre label because they like that music.

I think it's kind of ridiculous to think that the label matters more than the actual music to people. Not too many people buy an album without at least listening to some samples first.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:45
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
You are grasping at straws and genres not existing as a concept is frickin' terrible.

What the fuck would be hurt so badly if genres didn't exist? Honestly, they're just there for images in mainstream music right now. What would happen if Justin Bieber suddenly made a metal album? Seriously, tell me right now, what the fuck would happen? All of the emo kids would pick up his new album and all of the old fans would pick it up, too because they are just absolutely in love with Bieber. Now I'm not saying that Bieber would just come out with some grand musical opus some day, I'm saying that he's just going to get labeled differently to pick up more money. The whole thing is a pyramid scheme that makes me want to vomit. It's disgusting. If genres didn't exist, all of the music, good and bad, would be united as one. How would that be so bad, sir?

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:47
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ is a useful beginners tool for that. But I do not find it ridiculous as all. This is like saying medieval historical fiction as a literature genre is ridiculous or useless and of which I refuse to agree.

Lol, you people take what I say too seriously. Laughing I was just joking around, I understand their place, and I just meant they were ridiculous sounding from my more ignorant viewpoint. Anyways, that site should help, thanks.

But I do agree with you that genres are helpful and should exist.
yourself

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:47
  • Post subject:
Genres I actually find useful in understanding things I don't instinctually like. If I know a piece of music is from a specific genre I'm not used to, I can read about that genre, what its elements and structures are, how fans of said genre appreciate it, the history and context behind it. Without that you could be stuck listening to, I dunno jazz wondering where the thrash metal riffs are, or serialism wondering where the chorus is.

The problem isn't genres, its how you use them.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:48
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Would they buy it if it were labeled metal or hip-hop? If they listened to it first, probably not, because that's not the kind of music they're into. Or maybe they will regardless of the genre label because they like that music.

I think it's kind of ridiculous to think that the label matters more than the actual music to people. Not too many people buy an album without at least listening to some samples first.

Yes, the image matters more to people these days. It's sad. I've seen it first-hand, and all the people care about is the type of publicity stunt the artist is pulling. Honestly, I've heard many, many people say they don't like "so and so" because they haven't been publicly active. Disgusting.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:50
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
What the fuck would be hurt so badly if genres didn't exist? Honestly, they're just there for images in mainstream music right now. What would happen if Justin Bieber suddenly made a metal album? Seriously, tell me right now, what the fuck would happen? All of the emo kids would pick up his new album and all of the old fans would pick it up, too because they are just absolutely in love with Bieber. Now I'm not saying that Bieber would just come out with some grand musical opus some day, I'm saying that he's just going to get labeled differently to pick up more money. The whole thing is a pyramid scheme that makes me want to vomit. It's disgusting. If genres didn't exist, all of the music, good and bad, would be united as one. How would that be so bad, sir?

Are you assuming that people are buying albums solely based on the genre that the album is labeled with? Because that's wayyyyyy off

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:50
  • Post subject:
yourself wrote:
Genres I actually find useful in understanding things I don't instinctually like. If I know a piece of music is from a specific genre I'm not used to, I can read about that genre, what its elements and structures are, how fans of said genre appreciate it, the history and context behind it. Without that you could be stuck listening to, I dunno jazz wondering where the thrash metal riffs are, or serialism wondering where the chorus is.

The problem isn't genres, its how you use them.

Yes, but if there were no genres, you wouldn't have to waste your time reading about this new genre you've discovered. Instead, you could just open your mind to some wonderful music.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:51
  • Post subject:
For one? If genres didn't exist (which is inane) there would be no cohesive way to find anything especially for those individuals who seek a certain frame of art. I like classical literature and despise young adult when it comes to bookreading. If I were to find book after book of young adult and find nothing that pertains to my taste I would likely quit reading. Genres are NECESSARY for cataloguing of history of music evolution and transcension, cataloging/archival basis of sound, and even a good major sense of understanding through review criteria.

Your "ideal world" is an anarchic disregard of necessity and utility.

Quote:
Honestly, I've heard many, many people say they don't like "so and so" because they haven't been publicly active.

This has NOTHING to do with genre classification; popularity and the status quo would not change in your fairyland.
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:53
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Are you assuming that people are buying albums solely based on the genre that the album is labeled with? Because that's wayyyyyy off

That's exactly what musically-inexperienced people are doing these days. It's true. I've seen it so many times. They don't care how actually sounds, if it's labeled metal and sounds like pop, people will buy it anyway. Bam! More fucking money for the music industry.

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:54
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
That's exactly what musically-inexperienced people are doing these days. It's true. I've seen it so many times. They don't care how actually sounds, if it's labeled metal and sounds like pop, people will buy it anyway. Bam! More fucking money for the music industry.

Lol, so? How they listen to music is their business (and they would still cling to the same sounds even if there wasn't a name for the sound), genres are helpful to us that appreciate different styles.

Also, I find that musically inexperienced people are usually fairly ignorant of genres...That is why you'll often hear them say things like "I listen to everything".