Rank The Director (Coen Brothers)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Who's filmography should be ranked next?
Ingmar Bergman
4%
 4%  [2]
Jean-Luc Godard
7%
 7%  [3]
The Coen Brothers
21%
 21%  [9]
Wes Anderson
14%
 14%  [6]
Tarkovsky
14%
 14%  [6]
Martin Scorsese
12%
 12%  [5]
Linklater
2%
 2%  [1]
David Fincher
2%
 2%  [1]
Hitchcock
9%
 9%  [4]
Woody Allen
9%
 9%  [4]
Total Votes : 41

Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2015 03:34
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
for someone so adamantly opposed to discriminatory -isms, i'm surprised to see you pushing the agenda of making people on BEA watch more Adam Sandler movies than we've already agonized through

Inorite? I totally understand the hate that many have for him (and why he doesn't deserve any more ticket money), but I also can't deny the soft spot I have for his juvenile surrealism. He also is a genuinely great producer, doing a much better role there than he ever does as a writer or actor. And of course, I've always found it easier to appreciate overt discrimination as a punchline than when it's more subtle. At least most of us should realize that Adam Sandler is being racist and sexist half the time, and that we shouldn't imitate him.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/12/2015 03:35
  • Post subject:
"genuinely great producer"

so he knows how to invest money. there's a lot of VISIONARY ARTISTS you should go meet who are doing just this! they're also overtly discriminating against people of color and the poor in how they allocate housing properties. you'll know not to be just like them. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

i just find it funny that you'll complain about the regressive tendencies of the fucking Peanuts movie and glorify Sandler
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2015 03:40
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
"genuinely great producer"

so he knows how to invest money. there's a lot of VISIONARY ARTISTS you should go meet who are doing just this! they're also overtly discriminating against people of color and the poor in how they allocate housing properties. you'll know not to be just like them. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

i just find it funny that you'll complain about the regressive tendencies of the fucking Peanuts movie and glorify Sandler

I know I'm being a hypocrite, and I don't even know if I glorify his entire filmography (nearly half of his filmography I probably wouldn't stand), but I find that his best work (from Punch Drunk Love to Paul Blart Mall Cop to this year's The Cobbler) completely deconstructs all his issues. On my movie-tier system, I'd probably put his "auteur" in Tier 5 (which is where Matt Stone is, another comedy auteur that is extremely problematic)

EDIT: I guess it's also that I'm really biased towards these sorts of dumb bro-comedies. They're such a good comfort food for me, so it's easier to overlook Sandler's (many) flaws more than I do with Michael Bay (though his best movies are bro-comedies too, like Bad Boys 2 and Pain & Gain)

Last edited by Applerill on 11/12/2015 04:05; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/12/2015 03:56
  • Post subject:
this is the most interesting conversation I've ever seen take place re: Adam Sandler

actually this is the most interesting anything I've seen take place re: Adam Sandler

Punch-Drunk Love is pretty aight tho
CubaZed

• Posted: 11/16/2015 16:19
  • Post subject:
My personal rankings (still need to see True Grit, Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers but I don't really care about the last two) :

1) Barton Fink

The film about an unempathetic, misanthropic "tourist with a typewriter" that attempts to write about complex human emotions in pursuit of a legacy when he fails to understand their core meaning. It's sparse, twisted and has something to say about the layers and facades we put on for people.

2) No Country For Old Men

Simply one of the greatest westerns of all time. The ending is, much like the landscape, bleak and uncompromising. Nowhere to hide from the blunt of reality.

3) A Serious Man

Panic attack distilled. Some people call it a test of faith in God or by God as a modern day book of Job interpretation but I disagree. It's a test of faith in everything Larry Gopnik has ever believed in. In my opinion, the Coen Brothers most enigmatic movie as well.

4) Inside Llewyn Davis

It's their most beautifully shot in my opinion (I love Delbonnel's work) and their most deeply personal. I love how the songs Llewyn chooses to play mean more and more as the film goes on and I love those indelible images of Davis slowly wasting away in the heart of Greenwich Village.

5) The Man Who Wasn't There

The Coen's best neo-noire is the story of a Camus-esque character hair dresser who wants to become a dry cleaner. It's odd, haunting and James Gandolfini's wife in it looks like a Wallace and Gromit character.

6) The Big Lebowski

Satie wrote:
The Big Lebowski being a complete mess despite its occasional funny lines or scenarios

That's the whole point though isn't it? The Big Lebowski is a film that adds up to almost nothing from building pieces of nothing. It's listless and without direction which I find very reflective of the emotional state of the main character (kind of funny side note that he reads Sartre throughout the movie) and it's comprised entirely of five minute scenes in two lines.

7) Fargo

It's kind of funny looking.

8) Blood Simple

Paranoid and confident. Coen Brothers start their career with a whip smart neo-noire with thoughtful dialogue (if a little too on the nose). I love how creatively shot this is. That one scene where the camera crawls along the bar counter and climbs up and over the drunk man.

9) The Hudsucker Proxy

Probably their most underrated. A great tribute to the era of screwball comedy (seems like there may be a little bit of Terry Gilliam circa Crimson Permanent Assurance). Their most fantastically layered dialogue too. It's a little on the long side for what it's trying to go for but for me it's deeply fun.

10) Burn After Reading

Pretty different for the brothers. It's a complete piss take of the spy genre and the least predictable movie they've made. You've got George Clooney and Brad Pitt (who typically play the same character every movie) doing something completely different. It takes risks and it falls at times (The Big Lebowski also does the concept of a film of plot points amounting to nothing better) but it's a good film.

11) Raising Arizona

Classic hicksploitation. With some of the most memorable and best Coen brothers moments but a lot of their weakest as well.

12) Miller's Crossing

Was a little disappointed by this. The dignity as a hat motif is great and the plot points plus the layered characters work well (a bit overly dense though) but Gabriel Byrne is so distractingly awful in this. Barry Sonnenfeld's cinematography (while working well and creatively with the Coens in Blood Simple) seems out of place a little too. Tone shifts a little bit uncomfortably too (in the hoaky sense). Don't get me wrong, I like this film. Maybe it'll grow on me with the next watch.

13) O Brother Where Art Thou

How can a film with satan and the Ku Klux Klan as your villains be so uninteresting? A lot of people attribute this to the style of storytelling in that it feels much more like a collection of short stories than an actual film but no that doesn't bother me at all. What I dislike is just how fucking boring all the characters are. They're weak. You've got a pair of directors who find the brunt of their humour in their best films in the uneducated traditional isolated Americanness of their characters and they phone it in here in what feels at times like self parody. Score is fantastic though and the scene where we meet Tommy who calmly tells us he's sold his soul to the devil is great but I'm deeply disappointed by the rest of it.
Gigantic

Christmas Island

• Posted: 11/18/2015 20:43
  • Post subject:
avoiding writing an essay rn

my coen knowledge proved to be more limited than i thought

let's do this

A Serious Man (2009)

it's amazing

No Country For Old Men (2007)

same

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

yes

Fargo (1996)

maybe

The Big Lebowski (1998)

alright

The Lady Killers (2004)

no

Burn After Reading (2008)

nope

O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000)

It's shit.

add me on FESTIVE msn messanger

festive signature! ho ho ho!

⛄⛄⛄
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/18/2015 22:39
  • Post subject:
I'll do this after work tomorrow. Been busy recently.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/18/2015 23:13
  • Post subject:
No rush Smile I won't be able to tally everything up until December 2nd or 3rd anyway.
CubaZed

• Posted: 11/18/2015 23:19
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
No rush Smile I won't be able to tally everything up until December 2nd or 3rd anyway.

I can help if you need to.

Especially since this was originally my series Anxious
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/18/2015 23:32
  • Post subject:
CubaZed wrote:
I can help if you need to.

Especially since this was originally my series Anxious

Yeah, of course Smile Maybe you could use your way of tallying it up? The way in which I added up the scores for the decade lists wouldn't work in this situation. I've been trying to think of an easy alternative.

I'm thinking of adding up all the positions and then getting an average single score for each film, then rank them.