Kanye West

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 01/13/2013 20:13
  • Post subject:
After listening to a fair bit more rap, I've come to the conclusion Kayne is actually very average at rapping and has poor flow.

Production is mint though.
tbakeman

United States

• Posted: 01/13/2013 20:43
  • Post subject:
I think Kanye's just popular because he's a jack-ass. The President said so as well. I'm no fan by any means.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/13/2013 21:07
  • Post subject:
After reading through this thread:

1) The mentality of "if you don't like a certain type of music, then don't try to like it" is wrong if you are saying it generally. I say this because, as I have stated here before, I've had a hard time with hip hop over the years. I keep my mind open to it (this site has helped a lot). I'm not there yet, but my appereciation is slowly growing. For example, I would have never given an album like 36 Chambers any kind of chance and would have had a closed mind about it just a year ago. I just listened to it a few days ago and dug the SHIT out of it.

2) Assuming that those around you are closed minded is pretty closed minded.

3) Anyone on this site calling anyone a snob is kinda laughable, don't you think?

4) Hip hop is more about production than anything else. More than any other type of music.

5) The OP asked a really good question. If I was someone who was into hip hop, I'd have tried to give him better answers than what he's gotten.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 01/13/2013 23:13
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
After reading through this thread:

4) Hip hop is more about production than anything else. More than any other type of music.

This. The producers behind each rap song are the ones with taste and discernment. Figuring out their samples and who they pay homage to is a blast.

Kanye sucks but he makes fun music to listen to.
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 01/13/2013 23:21
  • Post subject:
"We shine because they hate us, floss cause they degrade us
We trying to buy back our 40 acres
And for that paper, look how low we a stoop
Even if you in a Benz, you still a nigga in a coupe"

"I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven
When I awoke, I spent that on a necklace"

Kanye is a don,don't fuck with him.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/20/2013 17:56
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
5) The OP asked a really good question. If I was someone who was into hip hop, I'd have tried to give him better answers than what he's gotten.

You're probably right, but there are only so many hours in the day. I'd rather spend my time endlessly, often incorrectly and often unnecessarily changing the info on album pages in the ego-boosting pursuit of mod points.

Anyway, I'm not the world's biggest Kanye fan so it's not really for me to say. He's a great producer who helped to usher in that chipmunk soul sound on Jay-Z's The Blueprint, Common's BE, Talib Kweli's Quality and his own College Dropout. He has subsequently and noticeably progressed to the point where he now, when focused, makes great beats pooled from a variety of influences and has largely helped to shape the soundscape of modern pop, hip-hop and R'n'B (although the influence of Pharrell Williams and Timbaland, amongst others, can't be overstated either). Rapping-wise, he's not the most technically gifted, but he's not the worst rapper around by a long shot. When on form, as in the lyrics DLGGLD quoted above, he can be an astute and often funny social commentator, and he's as good at bragging about his lifestyle as anyone (barring perhaps his mentor Jay-Z). I find his lyrics often have a cringeworthy quality, but those imperfections also help to give his lyrics a sincerity that more technically able rappers spend years trying to achieve, more often than not in vain. He's also a good songwriter in the sense that he composes songs with catchy choruses and verses that relate to the theme of the song. Again, plenty of rappers who may appear great are not necessarily very good at crafting songs, and it is songs that hold universal appeal, not well constructed sixteen bar verses (2Pac is another example of a rapper who was great at writing songs, but not supremely gifted when it came to the art of rapping). Hopefully all of that makes some sort of sense, and helps to give a window into why so many people are transfixed with the work of Kanye West.
thejoj96

• Posted: 01/20/2013 18:00
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
You're probably right, but there are only so many hours in the day. I'd rather spend my time endlessly, often incorrectly and often unnecessarily changing the info on album pages in the ego-boosting pursuit of mod points.

Anyway, I'm not the world's biggest Kanye fan so it's not really for me to say. He's a great producer who helped to usher in that chipmunk soul sound on Jay-Z's The Blueprint, Common's BE, Talib Kweli's Quality and his own College Dropout. He has subsequently and noticeably progressed to the point where he now, when focused, makes great beats pooled from a variety of influences and has largely helped to shape the soundscape of modern pop, hip-hop and R'n'B (although the influence of Pharrell Williams and Timbaland, amongst others, can't be overstated either). Rapping-wise, he's not the most technically gifted, but he's not the worst rapper around by a long shot. When on form, as in the lyrics DLGGLD quoted above, he can be an astute and often funny social commentator, and he's as good at bragging about his lifestyle as anyone (barring perhaps his mentor Jay-Z). I find his lyrics often have a cringeworthy quality, but those imperfections also help to give his lyrics a sincerity that more technically able rappers spend years trying to achieve, more often than not in vain. He's also a good songwriter in the sense that he composes songs with catchy choruses and verses that relate to the theme of the song. Again, plenty of rappers who may appear great are not necessarily very good at crafting songs, and it is songs that hold universal appeal, not well constructed sixteen bar verses (2Pac is another example of a rapper who was great at writing songs, but not supremely gifted when it came to the art of rapping). Hopefully all of that makes some sort of sense, and helps to give a window into why so many people are transfixed with the work of Kanye West.