2018 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2019 01:42
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
The only bad thing about this is any shopping I do I'm gonna wind up not getting as many Criterions due to my ability to watch them on there. Then if it dies in a year or two I'll be way behind on my collection. Hell I'm already way behind, haven't bought any since the summer sale.

When you say you're behind, do you mean in buying Criterion releases from the last 6 months, or behind in buying Criterions generally, including older releases?

Filmstruck had two different parts: a rotating assortment of films they licensed temporarily -- classic and contemporary foreign, indie and Hollywood films, most not released on disc by Criterion, intermixed with a limited selection of their permanent streaming library. The second one was an add-on tier of most of the film library Criterion has the streaming rights to -- around 1000 movies, I think.

Criterion's streaming library includes the great majority of the foreign films they've released on disc plus several hundred primarily foreign films they haven't yet released in physical form (a lot of Japanese films). BUT -- Criterion does not own the streaming rights to the practically all of the Hollywood films they've released on disc. They do have the streaming rights to most of the Cassevetes, Jim Jarmusch, Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and some experimental films they've released (and some they haven't). They have the rights to the films on the Lubitsch Musicals Eclipse box set -- but as far as American films go that's most of it.

I bring all this up to say that the Criterion Collection Channel will for the most part not have permanent streaming rights to Hollywood Criterion films you're interested in buying. So if you want to buy Magnificent Ambersons, Some Like It Hot, Notorious or older Hollywood CC disc releases, it shouldn't be a problem.

Think the Criterion Channel will be around longer than Filmstruck, which was done in by a merger. But I would never rely on any streaming service to always have films you'd potentially want to own available -- except maybe movies 100% produced by Netflix.

I assume the Criterion Channel will offer the bulk of their permanent streaming library, but it's not clear how many other films they'll temporarily license -- how closely they'll hew to the Filmstruck model.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2019 18:52
  • Post subject:
So finally got around to seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, and HOW DID THAT GET NOMINATED FOR BEST EDITING!!!!!!
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2019 17:34
  • Post subject:
Finally got around to seeing "They Shall Not Grow Old", and I have to say that if Peter Jackson wants to use his millions to do this kind of historical work and not make a bloated disaster like Mortal Engines ever again, then I'm all for it. I don't know if it will win anything at the Oscars, but it should be recognized for some sort of technical achievement. The sound design, to me, was almost more impressive than the visual restoration, which can tread the uncanny valley at times; the sound was spot on.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2019 01:33
  • Post subject:
Rocka, They Shall Not Grow Old wasn't nominated for anything, but I guess a Special Achievement Award is doable. Agreed on Peter Jackson. As much as I dislike his recent fictional work, I respect his treatment of history. Remember when he restored that lost scene from the original King Kong? Anyway, I hope to see They Shall Not Grow Old soon.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/05/2019 13:24
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Rocka, They Shall Not Grow Old wasn't nominated for anything, but I guess a Special Achievement Award is doable. Agreed on Peter Jackson. As much as I dislike his recent fictional work, I respect his treatment of history. Remember when he restored that lost scene from the original King Kong? Anyway, I hope to see They Shall Not Grow Old soon.

I'd really like to see Peter Jackson return to the horror background. Those films that he made in the late 80s and early 90s were really fun. It'll never happen and I'm sure in the minority, but I'd be way more interested in him returning to his roots than I would be watching another epic.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2019 18:24
  • Post subject:
My social media is in uproar right now. If I haven't mentioned it before, I work in cinematography. Naturally I know tons of DPs (director of photography), gaffers, and camera operators who are feeling the insult of the Academy's decision to cut that award from the live broadcast. Some of my friends and colleagues didn't read the articles further that confirmed the winner and speech will still be aired later in the broadcast. It's only a time-saver, and the show definitely suffers from running too long. Regardless, the decision to remove the cinematography award, along with live action short, hair and makeup, and editing from the live broadcast makes these categories seem less important.

I got into a conversation with one of them yesterday at work, and I asked him "Does the average Oscar viewer know or care much about cinematography and editing?" I don't know. But I'm asking you guys. What do you all think about this? Not just cinematography but any of the four categories they're removing? Granted, you all may not be "average Oscar viewers" either, but I'd still like to hear your thoughts.

Here is my idea. The show is a total drag, and definitely needs trimming by at least an hour. How about getting rid of all the god damn song performances? That would save so much more time than removing a few categories from the live broadcast.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/12/2019 18:31
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I got into a conversation with one of them yesterday at work, and I asked him "Does the average Oscar viewer know or care much about cinematography and editing?" I don't know. But I'm asking you guys. What do you all think about this? Not just cinematography but any of the four categories they're removing? Granted, you all may not be "average Oscar viewers" either, but I'd still like to hear your thoughts.

I watch the Oscars every year and I'm always interested to see who wins in Cinematography. Its a very essential part of filmmaking and I would argue that the editing is as well. Sure, a lot of the time the people winning in these categories are blue collar people that we don't know unlike the actors and directors, but I would've been really disappointed if they presented Roger Deakins with his Oscar for Blade Runner 2049 during the commercial.

There were some things that the Oscars could cut rather than the actual awards. I'm interested to see what it'll be like with no host and only a few song performances rather than all of the nominees.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/12/2019 18:35
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I would've been really disappointed if they presented Roger Deakins with his Oscar for Blade Runner 2049 during the commercial.

Exactly. The cinematography award is crazy to cut. d'oh! My only defense is that the award is 99% locked for Cuaron, who'll have time for other speeches that night I'm sure. But yeah... whack.

Luckily, I think the Academy will be streaming everything live without commercials for the first time. I think it's only going to be cut for cable watchers.

But if grown adults can sit through 3h, they can sit through 3.5h, like... I don't get it. Is a couple minutes really worth disrespecting all the people working in those 4 fields? It's been a solid 8 months of bad choices from the Academy.

Quote:
There were some things that the Oscars could cut rather than the actual awards. I'm interested to see what it'll be like with no host and only a few song performances rather than all of the nominees.

All nominees have been confirmed to perform (apart from Blunt, who'll have a replacement).
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/12/2019 19:06
  • Post subject:
Quote:
All nominees have been confirmed to perform (apart from Blunt, who'll have a replacement).

Oh, okay. I was led to believe that Shallow and All the Stars were going to be the only songs performed, but I guess that must not have been true. I read that at a time where they were probably still trying to figure out what the format was going to be. Honestly Shallow is really the only one I have any interest in seeing performed at the ceremony and it still appears have a lock on the award even if A Star is Born has fallen out of favor in other categories.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2019 19:12
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Is a couple minutes really worth disrespecting all the people working in those 4 fields?

You mean like me Dancing Haha. I'm not too insulted, perhaps because I have bigger gripes with the Oscars than this. This is minor to me. However, some of my friends and colleagues are pretty pissed off and refusing to watch the show.

Hayden wrote:
I think the Academy will be streaming everything live without commercials for the first time. I think it's only going to be cut for cable watchers.

Ah yes. That's correct. That came from the Hollywood Reporter article.

Reference:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/...ks-1185505

The article also says 6 of the 17 branches of the Academy volunteered to have their award cut from the live show. Think about that.

The article went on to say there will be a rotation every year of which categories will be cut from the live broadcast. And the four categories cut this year will be on the live broadcast next year.

So I think my cinematography friends and colleagues are over-reacting. The Academy is not specifically targeting them. They're targeting shorter run-times, and this year cinematography is one of the categories making a sacrifice. But next year, cinematography and the other three will be aired live, while the four categories removed next year will be totally different. It might be sound mixing, animated short, visual effects, and costume design.

But anyway, I don't see how this is going to make the show that much shorter. Like Hayden said, we're talking only a few minutes. And imo, that isn't enough. It needs to be an hour shorter. And again, I say get rid of the fucking song performances and you've saved at least 20-25 minutes already.
  • Visit poster's website