Well...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 07/31/2012 07:00
  • Post subject: Well...
...this is a bit late, innit?

Hey everyone, guys and gals, ladies and gentlemen, my name is Zach, I'm (at the time of this post) a 17 year-old Canadian musician who has always enjoyed reading the lists and rankings on this site of my favourite bands.

I decided to join the site and make my own list, which after only a couple of months has seen various albums added, removed, moved up, and moved down its' ranks. I currently can only make a 40-album list and am on my way, I believe, to Level 3.

Some of my favourite bands and artists of all time include Led Zeppelin, Queen, Bob Marley, Bon Iver, City and Colour, Arcade Fire, The Beach Boys, and The Beatles (whom, I might mention, should be on every top ten list regardless of whether the person making the list likes them or not; I think Sgt. Pepper's is the most overrated album of all time, but they are, to me, the indisputable most influential artist of all time).

However, my absolute favourite band, far and beyond the cream of the crop, are for me, Radiohead. Right now my list contains four of their albums. I can assure you that all eight of their absolutely magnificent, near-flawless - and, in the case of at least one of their albums, flawless - releases will appear on the list once I am allowed to make the full 100.

OK Computer is, to me, the most perfect thing ever made. It transcends the title of "album" to me and is simply the most magnificent thing I have experienced in my lifetime. I am a brutally honest critic, and my brutally honest critique, after multiple listens, of OK Computer is this: it is absolutely unchangeable, from the opening distorted guitars on Airbag, to the egg timer that closes The Tourist, it is perfect. While I respect - and even understand, in a sense - the arguments made by people who disagree with me, I cannot and will not ever agree with said arguments.

My list and musical tastes are diverse, although currently aside from Radiohead there are other artists - The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bon Iver, and City and Colour are what come to mind at the moment - who repeat on my list. Aside from artists whom I have already mentioned, everyone from Talking Heads, to Weezer, to Nirvana, to Kanye West, to Alanis Morissette, to Lauryn Hill, to Nine Inch Nails, to Boston, to Miles Davis, to, perhaps controversially, Tokio Hotel, whose 2007 - in my eyes - masterpiece, "Zimmer 483", currently occupies #37 on the list.

Skipping the personal reasons Tokio Hotel's music has touched and influenced me, I do consider them to be an absolutely excellent band. Part of this comes from my belief that many excellent musicians are out there who lack technical skill, and that many musicians with massive theory knowledge and technical skill are not excellent musicians. Zimmer 483 has extremely good songs on it, and while they are "pop", almost all of them are dark, and brooding. Tokio Hotel put on an excellent live show, and are always consistent and in the pocket. Georg Listing is also, in my opinion, one of the all-time greatest bassists; he has at least some level of technical skill, to the point where he is easily the most talented person in the band relative to his instrument, he plays exactly what he needs to play, while also adding his own little licks every now and then, and he's always completely tight and in the groove he needs to be in. If I were to start a dream band, I think I would want him as my bassist, over candidates like Entwistle, Myung, and Jones, and I say that sincerely.

So, apart from me detailing some of my varied tastes, there is a lot to be learned about me and I am glad to answer any questions here. Please, ask away, I hope to get to know many of you in the time to come.

My list can be found through my profile. I would prefer to post the link here, but as this is my first post, I appear to be prohibited from doing so.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 07/31/2012 09:10
  • Post subject:
Bonjour, Commence
Mirek

Poland

• Posted: 07/31/2012 10:02
  • Post subject:
Welcome Applause
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/31/2012 10:30
  • Post subject:
Welcome to BEA, Zach. Though I don't quite get why OK Computer is considered the best album of all time by so many, even if I like it very much, and no artist is the indisputable most influential artist of all time, and there ARE some candidates for the title besides The Beatles, you have got good taste undoubtedly.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/31/2012 10:59
  • Post subject:
Bob Dylan was more influential than The Beatles. Fact. So were the VU arguably.

But regardless, hello.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/31/2012 11:01
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Bob Dylan was more influential than The Beatles. Fact. So were the VU arguably.

But regardless, hello.

Creepy. I wrote that exact line in my post and deleted it at the last minute.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 07/31/2012 17:28
  • Post subject:
Ive had a similar epiphany regarding OK Computer, it's jUst the perfect record, both musically and lyrically. It's really tied with pet sounds on my list.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/31/2012 17:46
  • Post subject:
Welcome AgainstMeAgainstYou!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 07/31/2012 17:49
  • Post subject:
To revolver94: I know, right?

OK Computer was, I believe, #8 on my list upon first listen. Second or third, it was at #6. By the seventh or so, it was at #3. Eventually, I realized the only reason it wasn't #1 was because I was so hesitant to replace All Things Must Pass, which for two and a half years was my #1. But eventually, I had to accept that All Things Must Pass, as beautiful as it is, has a number of flaws - although, mind you, I may be the only person on the entire planet who actually ENJOYS the jams that close the album, perhaps because as a musician I really see the chemistry that went into all of those - and that OK Computer was just perfection. I'm pretty much the same way about Pet Sounds, when I first heard it, it was as life-changing for me as OK Computer was.

To everyone else who has commented, by the way, thank you for welcoming me here. Feel free to check out my chart if you haven't, there may be some surprising choices there apart from the Tokio Hotel album.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/31/2012 18:03
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
Creepy. I wrote that exact line in my post and deleted it at the last minute.

A little bit odd. But I'm sure most people who've listened to enough music believe the same thing.