Movie suggestions?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 02/08/2010 01:53
  • Post subject:
[quote="an_outlaw"]Anyway, are there any movies that I "absolutely have to watch"?[/quote]

There are tons of culturally important films that are referenced constantly, and most every biggie is on AFI's top 100 list. But I highly suggest Raging Bull
mikeyskywalker

• Posted: 02/08/2010 06:51
  • Post subject:
Charicature wrote:
If you didn't catch Gran Torino, definitely pick it up. Just make sure there's only adults present.

I've seen that movie twice! It's so funny, and Clint Eastwood is great in it!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 02/08/2010 08:36
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:

Anyway, are there any movies that I "absolutely have to watch"?

here's 10 of the most awarded movies (which doesn't mean the best but are actually pretty good) since these 5 past years:

1- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, Ethan & Joel Coen.
2- Brokeback Mountain, ang lee.
3- Slumdog Millionaire, Danny Boyle
4- The hurt Locker, Kathryn Bigelow
5- The Departed, Martin Scorsese
6- United 93, Paul Greengrass
7- Up in the Air, Jason Reitman
8- There Will Be Blood, Paul Thomas Anderson
9- wall-e, Andrew Stanton
10- History of Violence, David Cronenberg
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/08/2010 14:19
  • Post subject:
Anything woth Super-heros or big robots smashing lumps off each other!

I'm an uncultured beast when it comes to films these days, and many of the films of any worth I saw a long time ago, but from those I see on TV from time to time, the foreign language films seemto have more interesting and unexpected stories than a great deal of Hollywood formula.

Anything German with Franke Potente, Korean and French are usually the most satisfying.

As for British films...they're shit. The same five actors playing the same ten roles in different costumes....AAAAAaaaaarrggghhh!!!!
They're embarrassing, and the fact that Hugh Grant continues to enjoy a career is one of life's greatest tragi- mysteries.
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 02/08/2010 15:09
  • Post subject:
Hey, Mike Leigh is a genius. Either All or Nothing or Abagail's Party (apparently Very Drake is good too)
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 02/08/2010 15:24
  • Post subject:
Elston wrote:
Hey, Mike Leigh is a genius. Either All or Nothing or Abagail's Party (apparently Very Drake is good too)

agree ! i've seen Vera Drake and i highly recommend it, and i really liked his last movie too, Happy-Go-Lucky...

this year, from the few British movies I've seen i think that The Damned United and especially An Education were really worth going to a movie theater to see them.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
joyofdivision

• Posted: 02/08/2010 15:26
  • Post subject:
Withnail & I (1986), Wicker Man (1973) and Warriors (1979) are all great films beginning with the letter W
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 02/08/2010 20:42
  • Post subject:
Elston wrote:

There's been lots of incredibly surprising films that have come out, frankly I don't think Casablanca, Gone With the Wind or The Wizard of Oz are it. I dunno, I just find lists like that depressing. Knowing you have to wade through that much crap just to get to something like Chinatown.

Where's Nashville? Cassavetes? Buffalo '66? How bout some more Orson Welles? These movies, along with more obscure directors (Jon Jost), are more interesting than most of what's on there. I think the list is more about the movies that made a splash with people, rather than movies of incredible depth, originality or just being incredibly moving. That's what I don't like about the list, it's pretty far from my own taste, which means it's bad taste (to me of course). I mean, I think if you like a film like Gummo, or The Mirror, you might think that there's no other movies out there like that. But there are quite a few of them.

The AFI list is fine, but far from any sort of definitive list of the greatest films. Mainly because it only includes American films, and so many of the greatest films aren't American or in English (why an exception was made for Lawrence of Arabia which is unquestionably a British film we'll never know). The 3 films you mention (Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, and The Wizard of Oz) may not be surprising to you now, but their importance in the bigger picture can't be downplayed, and to call them crap, that's just plain wrong. Wizard of Oz in particular is a ballsy surreal and quite scary film for its time and audience.
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 02/08/2010 21:05
  • Post subject:
I'm not calling them crap, but Gone With the Wind & Wizard of Oz especially (both Victor Fleming films *shudder*) are large productions of relatively uninteresting material. Basically big budget films that aren't really that interesting. I mean, I loved the WoZ as a kid, but I just cannot watch it anymore. I thought Gone With the Wind was terrible (aside from the impressive camera work and beautiful costumes) and I'd say Casablanca was the best of them. I mean, I realize these were landmark films when they came out and that that means something to people. To me it means nothing. I like films that are interesting and/or move me. Those ones don't come close. But granted, I can kind of see why some people would be moved by them. I just prefer movies that actually reflect what life is like, or make you look at life in an interesting way. The Magnificent Ambersons, for example, gives you such an intimate and warm look at a family, while also poking fun at how pathetic they are. WoZ in comparison is colorfully trite fantasy. Gone With the Wind again is mere gloss (give me Lawrence of Arabia over that one anyday). That's my problem with AFI list, the movies are impressive aesthetically yet are pretty empty inside. Spielberg gets 5 spots, but Welles only gets 1? Okay, I'm being pretty negative about it. Let me point out that it's actually a pretty good list. I love Singin' in the Rain', I love Chaplin, I love Billy Wilder & Martin Scorsese. I love the Godfather films. But really, 5 Spielberg and 1 Woody Allen? Not even 1 Cassavetes film. Heh, I somehow turned it back into negative again. See, I'm really just a pretentious twat with a chip on his shoulder.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2010 21:08
  • Post subject:
Boogn1sh wrote:
why an exception was made for Lawrence of Arabia which is unquestionably a British film we'll never know

The film was made by Horizon Pictures (British) and Columbia Pictures (American).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website