Albums that changed your life the most?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Zalmoxis

Mexico

• Posted: 01/06/2014 08:16
  • Post subject:
Whatever People Say I Am, That's what I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys
(The most important and influencial in my life).

Others:

Discovery - Daft Punk
ReLoad - Metallica
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/07/2014 04:41
  • Post subject:
Boz Scaggs,Silk Degrees. It was on when I unhooked my first bra.
PatrickD
Rank?

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2014 04:57
  • Post subject:
Mid 90's Columbia House changed everything for me. haha
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/07/2014 05:36
  • Post subject:
Can't pick. Too many albums change my life every week.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 01/07/2014 06:45
  • Post subject:
Albums and songs that changed my view on music include:

Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock for music as landscape
John Cage's "4'33"" and his I-chang music for music as philosophy
William Basinski -The Disintegration Loops as well as Brian Eno for music as philosophy and emotion at the same time
Oval - 94diskont for philosophy and emotion
Pavement, Built to Spill, and Modest Mouse on cleverness
Joanna Newsom on poeticism
Suicide on darkness

a few others come to mind...

but albums that changed my life for no percieved reason include Entertainment!, Pink Flag, Damaged, Los Angeles, Fire of Love, Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill, and others

too many others
Kiki

• Posted: 01/07/2014 19:35
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Albums and songs that changed my view on music include:

Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock for music as landscape
John Cage's "4'33"" and his I-chang music for music as philosophy
William Basinski -The Disintegration Loops as well as Brian Eno for music as philosophy and emotion at the same time
Oval - 94diskont for philosophy and emotion
Pavement, Built to Spill, and Modest Mouse on cleverness
Joanna Newsom on poeticism
Suicide on darkness

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

• Posted: 01/07/2014 21:54
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

What's funny? Are you watching Close Up episode on MSP again? That's not healthy dude.
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 01/07/2014 23:18
  • Post subject:
For people who want extra insight into my musical upbringing... Sorry for the length, so many important artists and songs I didn't add :

WA Mozart "Symphony N°40" : made me want to play the violin.

Link

WA Mozart "Requiem Kyrie" : goosebumps, very early round the house

Link

Benjamin Britten "Saint Nicolas" : sung this as a kid in a choir. The harmonic arrangement is really strange yet exciting. It has stuck with me ever since.

Link

JS Bach "Goldberg Variations Aria" : Bach is the best

Link

The Beatles "Blackbird" : I used to hear my father sing this in the morning.

Link

Buddy Holly "Peggy Sue" : more of dad's records, 'my peheggy Sue' Very Happy

Link

Carpenters "Yesterday Once More" : OK this is from mum. THAT VOICE.

Link

Swingle Singer "Bach Concerto for Two Violins" : played this with orchestra and couldn't stop syncopating the lines à la Swingle Singers. I bought all their records.

Link

ELO "Blue Boy" : symphonic rock...

Link

Chic "Le Freak" : yeah I was listening to Chic instead of Nirvana

Link

Belle & Sebastian "Fox in the Snow" : God I never want to go back to highschool ever again.

Link

Arcade Fire "Wake Up" : I woke up to indie rock

Link

The Shins "Caring Is Creepy" : well it is

Link

Eels "Novocaine For the Soul" : getting a sad vibe anyone ?

Link

Nick Drake "Day Is Done" : baroque pop periode

Link

Joy Division "Disorder" : OH MY WHAT IS THIS ? IT'S BEAUTIFUL

Link

Sonic Youth "Total Trash" : the most experimental thing I'd heard until then, how to fuck up a song and make it sound glorious

Link

My Bloody Valentine "Sometimes" : can't understand anything in the lyrics, but mmmhhhh it sounds nice !

Link

The Velvet Underground "Venus in Furs" : yay, the kinky banana album!

Link

The Stooges "Down on the Street" : from the very first notes this burnt my brain

Link

CAN "Soup" : first track I heard from krautrock, weird weird weird

Link

Slint "Breadcrumb Trail" : frightened me to death the first time I heard it at full volume

Link

Red House Painters "24" : sadcore at 24

Link

William Basinski "Disintegration Loops" : loop this forever please

Link

• Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2014 23:47
  • Post subject:
Albums Throughout My Life by revolver94

I have a chart for this, actually. I feel like I've posted this a million times, but what the hell, right...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/08/2014 15:15
  • Post subject:
I'm not comfortable with the phrase "changed my life", but whatever, important stuff for me:

So I saw this guy on TV when I was six; thought he was dope and then I became interested in music, which I still am today. You have to start somewhere. I eventually came to own his two albums too, and I thought they were pretty good

One or two years later:

Get Rich Or Die Tryin' by 50 Cent

Some guys in my class had probably lent some hip hop records from their older brothers, which they brought to school and played, and I thought they were cool as fuck for doing so. So I told my parents that I wanted some rap music. In the next two or three years, I grew a little collection of 20-30 cd’s which included artists such as Eminem, 50 Cent, Kanye West, Akon, The Game, N.W.A, Jay-Z and 2Pac. Eminem was my favorite artists, but I believe Get Rich or Die Tryin’ was the first cd I got in that period

During the same period, I must’ve heard my dad playing this one day:

Freedom by Neil Young

And I was converted to rock music from that point, which I guess I still am today. It was the song Don’t Cry that did it for me: this guitar thing sounded like the greatest thing ever. Consequently, I started to dig up some rock albums from my parents’ collection. I remember particulary liking Nirvana’s Nevermind and a greatest hits collection with Jimi Hendrix

When I was 10 or 11, I got this idea that hip hop was bad (my parents most likely had a huge influence on this; they must’ve been worried that their little son jammed songs like A Bitch Iz a Bitch on his stereo); even to the point where I got rid of my hip hop cd’s. Instead I started focusing on guitar based rock music, which I continued with for four years or so. The most important album for me was possibly:

Songs For The Deaf by Queens Of The Stone Age

At least it was my favorite for some time, and it has a lot of qualites which I appreciated at that time. Other important artists from that time includes Kyuss, Arctic Monkeys, Sex Pistols, Kings of Leon, The Clash, Metallica, Tool, Black Sabbath, Sonic Youth, Anti-Flag, Rage Against the Machine, Alice in Chains, Eagles of Death Metal and others

When I was 12, I had to write a longer assignment for school, and I chose to write about rock music: thus I became familiar with names of the more acclaimed rock artists, which sparked my interest to listen to some of them. Most importantly, it led me to buy this cd:

The Velvet Underground And Nico by The ...nderground

Which I immediately claimed to be the greatest album I had ever heard, which it might just still be today (though I don’t really listen to it anymore; it’s in my DNA or something). Although I my primary interests continued to be guitar based alt/hard rock, I added The Velvet Underground and a few bands like The Cure, Joy Division, The Beatles and Pink Floyd to my list of favorite bands

At 15, I discovered BEA and I realized there was a great load of awesome albums waiting for me to listen to them. The first internet-inspired purchase I did (possibly because of the intriguing artwork) was:

In The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson

And I was blown away by how good it was. From this point, BEA became my #1 reference for album recommendations, and in the first seven months of 2011 I bought or became familiar with lot of the albums in the top of BEA’s overall list. The most important purchase I made during this period was this:

A Love Supreme by John Coltrane

I was a bit frightened to buy this, as jazz was something completely foreign to me (I had heard Kind of Blue from my parents’ collection, and I didn’t understand what I was supposed to enjoy). Therefore, I treated the album a bit as task I had to overcome: I listened to it more closely and with greater attention than I had ever done with anything previously. I eventually grew to love it, and I believe this album made me grow a lot as a music listener (I also bought Mingus Ah Um that same day, but I gave Coltrane the most attention in the first place)

And then, at some point in 2011, I bought this motherfucker:

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart...Magic Band

And I was convinced that better music could possibly not exist. I loved it so much that some of the albums I had previously picked up that year started to seem boring: why the fuck would anyone listen to The Beatles, Pink Floyd or David Bowie when they could be listening to this?
So my interest in classic rock got reduced greatly. Instead, in search of music similar to Captain Beefheart, I discovered Piero Scaruffi’s website. And at the end of the year, I was listening to stuff like Neu!, The Pop Group, Tim Buckley, Can, Slint, Pere Ubu, Suicide, My Bloody Valentine and The Red Krayola. Artists who pretty much shaped my taste and whose music I still love today. And in fact, I think my music journey has continued from that point; not that I haven’t discovered important albums in the last two years, but I feel like they’ve been a part of a natural progression which started at this point

Well, one last mention:

Illmatic by Nas

Bought this in March 2012, and today I’m luckily reconciled with hip hop again. Rock is still my comfort zone and what I listen to the most, but today I’d rather be a rapper or a hip hop producer than a rock guitarist if I had to make music in a serious level, just like I would've said before I turned 10