2%  [1]
War
2%
 2%  [1]
Total Votes : 47

• Posted: 07/12/2013 17:09
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
All Dogs Go to Heaven a great movie, but a sad story - the end of Don Bluth's great 80s streak, it was unfortunate enough to open within days of The Little Mermaid (which basically ushered in the Disney Renaissance and left Bluth's name irrelevant until Anastasia). The only sadder story is that of Judith Barsi.

Love that movie.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/12/2013 17:16
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Okay, I'm fucking sick of people comparing that movie to Glee. Just because a movie has people who sing doesn't make it like Glee. By that logic, Les Miserables was just a Glee wannabe, too.

On top of that, just because a movie's plot is formulaic doesn't make it bad, either. I didn't say it was groundbreaking. However, it's funny, cleverly written, well-acted, and has a moving, if not terribly original, storyline. If you disagree, good for you, but that's a matter of opinion.

Considering the story is just a hash of Bring It On and Step Up with some tweaks, not really. Not to say originality is needed, but don't call it original. Also, you can be sick of the Glee comparisons but Moore who directed spent his formative directing years on teen soaps and it (Glee) is a GASP teen soap. Cannon did pen some decent writing, but she's known for that on 30 Rock.

Also maybe Les Mis would be called Glee if y'know it wasn't penned as a musical in 1980.

Nowhere in my snarky comment did I say it was bad, but it certainly isn't a great comedy either by my taste. It has generic performances and a lot of the key actresses are not used to their potential. I feel really sad for Snow's career. But yeah, the film goes through the motions and doesn't try to be anything more than what it is. Which isn't bad since I sort of like the first Bring It On film and I enjoyed bits of Pitch Perfect. Just because I dismiss something doesn't mean I think its crap. Cool
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/12/2013 17:27
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Considering the story is just a hash of Bring It On and Step Up with some tweaks, not really. Not to say originality is needed, but don't call it original.

I'm confused. I never said it was original. I explicitly said it wasn't terribly original.

Gowienczyk wrote:
Also, you can be sick of the Glee comparisons but Moore who directed spent his formative directing years on teen soaps and it (Glee) is a GASP teen soap. Cannon did pen some decent writing, but she's known for that on 30 Rock.

Also maybe Les Mis would be called Glee if y'know it wasn't penned as a musical in 1980.

I still fail to understand the excessive Glee comparisons. The only similarities I see are that both feature groups of people singing in a school setting (though the singing in Glee is often the musical-style everyone-suddenly-breaks-into-song-for-no-justified-reason type, whereas the singing in Pitch Perfect is a cappella; which reminds me: the vocal performances in Pitch Perfect were actually done by the actresses for the most part, which is a huge point in its favor, imo).

Of course I understand why Les Mis is not compared to Glee. I was simply pointing out that it would be no more logical to call Pitch Perfect a Glee ripoff/wannabe/spoof/whatever than it would be to call the recent Les Mis adaptation that, a claim I was making based on the limited number of comparisons I personally see between Glee and Pitch Perfect.

Gowienczyk wrote:
Nowhere in my snarky comment did I say it was bad, but it certainly isn't a great comedy either by my taste. It has generic performances and a lot of the key actresses are not used to their potential. I feel really sad for Snow's career.

But yeah, the film goes through the motions and doesn't try to be anything more than what it is. Which isn't bad since I sort of like the first Bring It On film and I enjoyed bits of Pitch Perfect. Just because I dismiss something doesn't mean I think its crap. Cool

That's all fair. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. You just seemed to be claiming that the paint-by-numbers plot was a detriment to the film, whereas I personally disagree.

Also I have the mad hots for Anna Kendrick. That's an important factor, too Wink
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 07/12/2013 17:30
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I'm confused. I never said it was original. I explicitly said it wasn't terribly original.

Chalk it up to not having my morning/afternoon coffee yet (I woke up late).

Quote:
That's all fair. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. You just seemed to be claiming that the paint-by-numbers plot was a detriment to the film, whereas I personally disagree Wink

Also I have the mad hots for Anna Kendrick. That's an important factor, too.

Anna Kendrick is a talent, and I like a lot of what she has done so far. I am really excited for her career.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/12/2013 17:34
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Anna Kendrick is a talent, and I like a lot of what she has done so far. I am really excited for her career.

Agreed. I say I have the mad hots for her, but really I never say that about actresses unless I find them to be rather talented actresses, as well. She's goin' places, that one.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 07/12/2013 17:52
  • Post subject:
My favorite up-and-coming actresses:

Ellen Page
Jennifer Lawrence
Rooney Mara
Elizabeth Olsen
Zoe Kazan
Chloë Grace Moretz
Isabelle Fuhrman
Elle Fanning
Saoirse Ronan
Anna Kendrick

Some of them I guess you can consider "not up and coming and already have made it" like Page, Mara, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
jonasbrother4

• Posted: 07/12/2013 17:58
  • Post subject:
i would like to see ellen and chloe get it on
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 07/12/2013 19:58
  • Post subject:
[quote="AlexZangari"]All Dogs Go to Heaven a great movie, but a sad story - the end of Don Bluth's great 80s streak, it was unfortunate enough to open within days of The Little Mermaid (which basically ushered in the Disney Renaissance and left Bluth's name irrelevant until Anastasia). The only sadder story is that of Judith Barsi.

Rest in peace, little girl.

Two great companies at a war with each other: Disney and Don Bluth Productions. If you ask me, Anastasia kicks the musical ass of any Disney movie.

Also, I've read morality reviews of The Little Mermaid. Every artical I read about the morality centers around the bratty little Ariel deliberately disobeying her half-crazed father. I've lost a lot of respect for Disney just reading all of those reviews that said all that.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:02
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
All Dogs Go to Heaven a great movie, but a sad story - the end of Don Bluth's great 80s streak, it was unfortunate enough to open within days of The Little Mermaid (which basically ushered in the Disney Renaissance and left Bluth's name irrelevant until Anastasia). The only sadder story is that of Judith Barsi.

NIMH had the tragedy of Elizabeth Hartman, Dog had Judith Barsi. It was like the cosmos during the 80s were trying to destroy Bluth's soul. Sad
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:47
  • Post subject:
I think I might be the only person who loves The Pebble and the Penguin more than any other Bluth film.