Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2014 16:05
  • Post subject:
Mies wrote:
My dad dislikes everything that was released after The Wall. So he dislikes Nirvana, too.

Aniway, maybe I just live in a shitty place (that's possible), but Nirvana have never been on the radio so much.

Also, I don't like too much Nevermind (I think In Utero is much better), but anyway Nevermind was truly important for popular music at the time, many guys who lived that moment still remember that.

Yes.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2014 16:08
  • Post subject: Re: 20 Albums from 1990/91 That are better than Nevermind
newbands1 wrote:
[Was originally going to add more albums but decided to stick to genres closest to Nevermind]

I love essentially every album you mentioned. Drive Like Jehu's self-titled is particularly underrated. It's crazy that it only ranks 121st on BEA in 1991.

That said. Nevermind is a treasure as well. Maybe Nirvana wasn't the "best" band of the 90s, but they're the rock band that made the biggest impression on the American rock landscape in the 1990s. For better or worse, because of their wild success, major labels sought out bands like Afghan Whigs and Modest Mouse, and refocused attention away from hair metal.
  • Visit poster's website
newbands1

• Posted: 04/06/2014 17:08
  • Post subject:
After grunge killed hair metal there seemed to be nothing be grunge bands then Dookie came out and killed that too and made a whole bunch of people who would never listen to punk rock listen to that genre.I guess Nirvana were just lucky, if they broke up after bleach another band would have taken their place.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/06/2014 17:13
  • Post subject:
Green Day is NOT punk rock.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2014 17:17
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Green Day is NOT punk rock.

american west coast pop punk branded and sold to my generation as punk rock. I can accept Green Day being classified as punk since it's their being branded as punk that led me to what we'd both be more readily willing to accept as actual punk rock.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/06/2014 17:21
  • Post subject:
newbands1 wrote:
After grunge killed hair metal there seemed to be nothing be grunge bands then Dookie came out and killed that too and made a whole bunch of people who would never listen to punk rock listen to that genre.I guess Nirvana were just lucky, if they broke up after bleach another band would have taken their place.

I never really saw the punk revival as competing with grunge or alternative. A lot of the kids I hung out with were listening to both in the mid-90s.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2014 17:23
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I never really saw the punk revival as competing with grunge or alternative. A lot of the kids I hung out with were listening to both in the mid-90s.

Agreed.

but Nü Metal came and ruined everything
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2014 17:36
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Nirvana is completely dadrock now - call it an innevitable symptom of their overwhelming mainstream popularity. The "under-appreciated" bands like the Pixies (under-appreciated by who, exactly? Have you read a single music blog or zine in the last 20+ years?) were spared this fate because they never really got mainstream radio play, and for this we should be glad.

Ya know, it's weird, out where I am I'd say Pixies get as much play as Nirvana if not more on both the indie channels and the just general rock channels. I've even heard both on what is essentially the dadrock station (I've only ever heard it when getting a ride from anyone else's dad, frankly. It's all just Floyd, AC/DC, Zepplin, Sabbath, and they're starting to throw in Nirvana and Pixies).

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
ProfessorSquid

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2014 18:15
  • Post subject:
thirdpeng wrote:
do you remember jman's chart when he first came here and the music he talked about, that is the extent of what most men over the age of 30 here understand about music

Do you really believe that about most men on here? Or are you just talking about the general population?
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2014 18:15
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
american west coast pop punk branded and sold to my generation as punk rock. I can accept Green Day being classified as punk since it's their being branded as punk that led me to what we'd both be more readily willing to accept as actual punk rock.

You know, if you listen to where all of that music was rooted, most of those bands started as really just punk, some even pretty hardcore. It's strange to me how the bands changed to gain fame, as they had already been catching traction, at least locally. Ya know, to say that it was "West Coast Pop Punk" isn't neccessarily fair, as a lot of the bands really did start to get fame via punk, and a lot of bands stayed punk. You can hear where the pop-punk starts to come in with such still classic punk bands as the following:

Link

Link

Link

Then you can see the real pop-punk fully being displayed in other influential west coasters such as:

Link

Link

Early Green Day truly was less pop-punk than some of the other things out there, though still had pop-punk in them from the start:

Link

But at the same time as all of this, there's other things going on that are PUNK that really, really helped form this.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Even bands that went on to be pop-punk and it's derivatives didn't start that way, often:

Link

Link

So to call it simply that the west coast was in pop-punk, I don't think that's fair. I think a lot of them became pop-punk, maybe, but I'd say overall it was a punk movement.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website