Culling the vinyl record collection

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/13/2014 17:57
  • Post subject: Culling the vinyl record collection
So it's spring cleaning time and I've been tasked with going through my father-in-law's vinyl record collection. He was a radio DJ in the '60s and '70s and had thousands of records from that time period. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2001 and we're trying to clear up space, so we don't want to keep the whole thing.

The difficult part, of course, is that I want to make sure not to throw away anything valuable. Obviously, I'm going to keep any records that I want to listen to, but there may be some valuable rarities that I'm not familiar with. I can do individual searches for each record, but that will take forever. Does anybody have any ideas for shortcuts? To start, can I assume that greatest hits compilations have little value?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/13/2014 19:29
  • Post subject: Re: Culling the vinyl record collection
sp4cetiger wrote:
I can do individual searches for each record, but that will take forever.

I know it'll probably take forever, but you might be best off getting 2-3 friends to help you out and you just plow through googling them individually.

• Posted: 04/13/2014 19:32
  • Post subject:
My dad sells records online for a living, through sites like eBay and Discogs. It's time consuming stuff. I'll ask him if there are any shortcuts, but I fear the answer will probably be that there aren't. Some of the stuff you see that looks worthless is often worth silly amounts of money; similarly, things that looks like they might be of value often aren't worth more than a few pennies. As Hayden said, the best thing to do is just get a few friends together and start sorting through everything, bit by bit. It's pretty fun anyway, gives you the chance to listen to some stuff you'd otherwise never have bothered with.
CubaZed

• Posted: 04/13/2014 19:35
  • Post subject:
Here's a good site to crosscheck the worth. Sorry I can't be much help but this was a great source when I was selling my Grandad's old records.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2014 19:39
  • Post subject:
I've always used Popsike to gauge the worth of my albums. It checks finished eBay auctions, it's a cool site. I've collected albums for awhile now, always loved doing it.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 04/13/2014 19:48
  • Post subject:
Pick up the records two at a time. Check the title of the 6th track. The one which starts with the letter earliest in the English alphabet goes into Pile 1 and the other goes into Pile 2. If they begin with the same letter do the previous instruction with the second letter. If an album has less than 6 tracks use the final track. When you are finished throw away everything in Pile 1 and keep Pile 2. If you have an album spare keep it for good luck.

This will effectively half the amount of albums you have to go through Smile
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/13/2014 20:22
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
It's pretty fun anyway, gives you the chance to listen to some stuff you'd otherwise never have bothered with.

That too. Just find something random in the collection, put it on, and just listen to that while you research.

Tell us if you find anything interesting too Smile
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/13/2014 20:54
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the help, all, I guess I'll take the plunge and do individual searches. At least it gives me something to do while listening to music. Also, thanks for the website suggestions, they both look like great resources.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 04/13/2014 21:53
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Thanks for the help, all, I guess I'll take the plunge and do individual searches. At least it gives me something to do while listening to music. Also, thanks for the website suggestions, they both look like great resources.

If you find anything you don't want that you think I might I could be interested in making business.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2014 21:55
  • Post subject: Re: Culling the vinyl record collection
sp4cetiger wrote:
Does anybody have any ideas for shortcuts?

Mail them all to me. I'll send back the ones I don't want and the one's worth nothing. That way you'll know which ones were keepers. The bad news (for you, not me) is that i'll have them all.
  • Visit poster's website