What's some good LOUNGE music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 04/18/2014 09:34
  • Post subject:
My favourite is an obscure compilation called Bringin' Back The Lounge, featuring gems like Feelin' Blue (Because I Can't Post Any More Besteverville) and But Ever Abloom (Tales Of A Drunken Stranger). The best moment on the album is where the music stops and all the vocalists start discussing metamodernism at length.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 04/18/2014 19:41
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
If this thread is going to take the place of the Lounge, with the same level of conversation, it will be closed. This is a music forum.

Whoops, my apologies for being a human being who engages in naturally flowing conversations as opposed to a robot that poops topic-specific algorithms. I mean, not to bite the hand that feeds or anything - I'm grateful for everything you've done for us here - but you don't have to get so stern mother about everything.

...and now to poop back on topic, I am quite partial towards Mr. Bungle, as of course everyone should be.

Link

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/19/2014 07:40
  • Post subject:
ANYONE who listens to lounge music always strikes me as a certain person, but it seems like an interesting genre to WATCH. THE genre doesn't often grab my attention, but sometimes it's nice to listen to when playing a GAME.
Mies

• Posted: 04/19/2014 09:38
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
ANYONE who listens to lounge music always strikes me as a certain person

Laughing
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/19/2014 18:20
  • Post subject:
Maybe the quality of what was going on in the lounge recently was pretty shit, and I get that BEA is really supposed to be about music, but BEA seems like a much less attractive place to come without the lounge, there's not really enough to pull me here regularly without it.

I like the music forum, obviously, one of the main reasons why I come here is to find new music there, but it's not really very social, at all. I always thought the strength of BEA is its characters; when you know people beyond their 100 favourite albums I think that's cool in itself, but it also adds context to when people talk about music ie the music forum is stronger for the lounge being there, imo. Otherwise it'd be mainly just anonymous people posting whether they like or dislike aotd.

Maybe recently people posting personal stuff went too far and detracted from music discussion, but for me I think I like BEA over any other forum because it does feel like we're more personal with each other. I genuinely like and care about users here like I never though I would on an internet forum so I think it'd be a shame to pretty much lose that.

Also I'd like some sort of clarification from AM on exactly what it is that upsets him about what goes in the lounge, it seems to me like everyone is pretty much guessing at what the problem is right now. I think it would be helpful if people actually knew for sure, it's hard to moderate behaviour if we don't even know what we're doing wrong.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2014 18:27
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Maybe the quality of what was going on in the lounge recently was pretty shit, and I get that BEA is really supposed to be about music, but BEA seems like a much less attractive place to come without the lounge, there's not really enough to pull me here regularly without it.

I like the music forum, obviously, one of the main reasons why I come here is to find new music there, but it's not really very social, at all. I always thought the strength of BEA is its characters; when you know people beyond their 100 favourite albums I think that's cool in itself, but it also adds context to when people talk about music ie the music forum is stronger for the lounge being there, imo. Otherwise it'd be mainly just anonymous people posting whether they like or dislike aotd.

Maybe recently people posting personal stuff went too far and detracted from music discussion, but for me I think I like BEA over any other forum because it does feel like we're more personal with each other. I genuinely like and care about users here like I never though I would on an internet forum so I think it'd be a shame to pretty much lose that.

Also I'd like some sort of clarification from AM on exactly what it is that upsets him about what goes in the lounge, it seems to me like everyone is pretty much guessing at what the problem is right now. I think it would be helpful if people actually knew for sure, it's hard to moderate behaviour if we don't even know what we're doing wrong.

A lot of this, but because I genuinely would like to talk about Lounge music since it's maybe the only genre that goes ignored in full or largely in full on this website, I'd rather not discuss past agreeing as I'd like this post to stay open. So there's this beauty:

Link

Link

Link

Link

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 04/19/2014 23:43
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:

I mostly agree with all of this, but especially the last paragraph. If we're going to go nothing-but-music for the time being, whenever we can handle the lounge, it'd be nice to know exactly what AM doesn't want us doing again. I really don't mind focusing on music for the time being, I like music (lol), it'd just be nice to have some closure, and that would probably prevent things like this thread recurring. Though really thanks for the new update and all, AM. Lots of cool stuff. Did you make the topics smaller so that more can fit on a page? I feel like you did but I might be imagining it.

As for lounge music, I honestly can't say I've heard any. I love the song Lounge by Regina Spektor, does that count? Laughing
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/20/2014 01:13
  • Post subject:
Even with the lounge this place wasn't all that lively.

EDIT: Richard Cheese is a funny guy. The shtick gets a little annoying, but it's pretty fun for bursts at a time.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2014 02:14
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

EDIT: Richard Cheese is a funny guy. The shtick gets a little annoying, but it's pretty fun for bursts at a time.

Thought about mentioning him and kinda went "Well, I can listen to him like one song at a time but it stops being funny quickly, and he's not actually all that talented it seems ..."

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 04/20/2014 08:09
  • Post subject:
The lounge basically became BEA's drinking problem; the sub-forum fueled many of BEA's most exciting moments and often brought a special kind of spark to the party, and we really got to open up and find out more about one another that we ever would if this was just strictly talk-about-music forum. The problem is we became perhaps just a little bit toooooo open: it came to the point where we could hurl anything we thought about one another openly and agressively without regards to any consequences, and the frequent sharing of personal information got to the point where we were pushing personal drams onto one another, especially when an argument about one's lifestyle got really heated and angry. The lounge just became too volitatle and self-destructive for it's own good, so it was perhaps inevitable that it got locked out.

And obviously this is a website about music, albums specifically, so it was never a necessary sub-forum for BEA. However, now that the BEA forums are now strictly music talk and are all "clean and sober", they just.... are missing something, namely that collection of distinctive personalities that made BEA when I first joined so special in the first place. It's not that the music talk is bad at all, it just all feels pretty straight-jacketed, and if this is a more permanent solution (no-lounge for good) that might create a problem since it's impossible to keep people from verging a conversation to something not strictly musical related. Perhaps the musical topics of conversation need a little bit of creative energy, not just simply threads where lists are made or saying this album/band is good or bad, or sth I donno guess Im not one to lecture

In the end, it's up to those who both run and have to deal with the forums if the locked forum topics are going to stay closed and it's fine either way. I just think while giving the lounge a break for awhile is more than fine, taking it away for good might solve one problem but will create another larger, more subtle one in the process.