What's some good LOUNGE music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/20/2014 09:44
  • Post subject:
Yeah, BEA isn't the living, breathing organism it once was without the lounge - but I was always under the impression that it will be coming back shortly?

My biggest qualm about the music forum is that it tends to be a very one sided discussion - all talking and not much listening. Obviously there are a tight-knit collection of users who are very active in providing reccomendations and discussing with each other about lesser-known albums, but most threads are totally void of any real back-and-forth conversation. It needs to be admitted, the 'What ... are you listening to' threads are mostly tools for people to increase their member points. 'of the day' threads are good fun, but usually end up being just lists of people's opinions. The 'first 30 songs that come up' thread is possibly the worst offender. Threads that invite discussion often require users to do a bit of reading and new-opinion-forming, which means those threads rarely hit beyond the 20 response mark, and get buried with the aforementioned threads that don't ask much of the user. This is even more of an issue when you consider that the Music Forum has so many stickies that the frontpage provides almost half the exposure as other forums on the site. I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, I'm guilty of it too (likely more than some), but I've found myself having little reason to come back to BEA when there's no real active discussion taking place.

If we're going to do away with the Longue, or want to reform it, then we first need to think about how we can improve that actual music discussion that's meant to fuel this forum.

Anyway, um, s'good album:

Sympathique by Pink Martini

• Posted: 04/20/2014 16:42
  • Post subject:
What Puncture said.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/20/2014 17:25
  • Post subject:
Music discussion doesn't come out of the air, folks. Geevy hasn't posted in nearly a month and his ULL idea has still done more to increase the quality of the music forums than most 5-post-a-day regulars. Get off yer lazy asses and come up for new ideas for threads/games/projects/etc.

Also, what's up with the moderation crew? The stickies in the music forum have been a problem for months now and were brought up multiple times, but NOTHING has been done. Unless there's a major shitstorm, I barely ever see a post from most of the mods. I love all you guys, but I'm sensing a lot of apathy here.

And even though I was one of the users that suggested a temporary closing of the lounge, I absolutely oppose it going down permanently. This is a community, ffs. AM's last post in the lounge said it was temporary, though, so we should trust him on that.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 04/20/2014 17:35
  • Post subject:
^

Got a PM from AM, and I can confirm the lounge is only temporarily closed. Shutting it forever would just make no sense, and I am strongly opposed to it too.

And I definitely agree with the stickies part. We should have a thread where we can talk about which ones to unsticky so the problem can be solved. Can a normal user do this? If yes, I'll do it. If not, if you're reading this and you're a mod, please start such a thread.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/20/2014 18:06
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Music discussion doesn't come out of the air, folks. Geevy hasn't posted in nearly a month and his ULL idea has still done more to increase the quality of the music forums than most 5-post-a-day regulars. Get off yer lazy asses and come up for new ideas for threads/games/projects/etc.

Also, what's up with the moderation crew? The stickies in the music forum have been a problem for months now and were brought up multiple times, but NOTHING has been done. Unless there's a major shitstorm, I barely ever see a post from most of the mods. I love all you guys, but I'm sensing a lot of apathy here.

Apologies, I tend to miss requests unless they are posted in the suggestions forum. It's certainly not apathy, more that it's a lot of work looking after the site, and sometimes things get missed. I've unstickied the inactive threads, and moved some others to the new members forum.

Last edited by albummaster on 04/20/2014 18:15; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 04/20/2014 18:08
  • Post subject:
Awesome, thanks! Maybe the Plug.dj one could have stayed here, though, I'm not really sure it belongs to the new members section Think
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/20/2014 18:24
  • Post subject:
I'm not sure how many people here use plug.fm or who stickied the thread in the first place, but I've moved it back here for the time being.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/20/2014 18:25
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Apologies, I tend to miss requests unless they are posted in the suggestions forum. It's certainly not apathy, more that it's a lot of work looking after the site, and sometimes things get missed. I've unstickied the inactive threads, and moved some others to the new members forum.

I wasn't referring to you, AM, I know you work your butt off for the site. Thanks, though!
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 04/21/2014 01:24
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
coolpost

That's why I really like the You Must Listen to the Album Below You thread, it requires a bit of back and forth, it is fun...gee, I wonder who created that thread? Wink
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/21/2014 13:49
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
That's why I really like the You Must Listen to the Album Below You thread, it requires a bit of back and forth, it is fun...gee, I wonder who created that thread? Wink

I also created that god-awful Member Rank Album thread, which I apologize for.