Album of the day (#1244): Powerslave by Iron Maiden

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CubaZed

• Posted: 04/20/2014 21:16
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
What? At least give it a listen. I mean, you probably won't like it, but to dismiss it as bad when you've never heard is as ignorant and biased as it gets.

Perhaps I should explain. I have heard it (my bea listening list only includes stuff I have listened to from the beginning of this year so it is a very very very incomplete roster of what I have heard). I get it's very influential but Iron Maiden's brand of metal hasn't been my cup of tea for a long time. That being said this is my favourite Iron Maiden album and for good reason. It demonstrates how amazing Steve Harris is as a bass player and it's super fun to play along to. Very Happy I'm bored of it though because at the old school I went to, the entire music loving crowd were one genre enthusiasts and you couldn't discuss anything with them without the obligatory, "nowhere near as good as Iron Maiden" close minded mantra.... There is a longer, more detailed, story of why I dislike it but it would detract from the thread and the lounge isn't open to discuss it. Long story short I enjoyed it at one point but my love of it was nurtured, fed, overfed and then killed within one week. Very Happy Sorry Goodsir, I did honestly once enjoy it (and I'm by no means dissing it) and maybe I will again one day but right now I'm just not so hot on it.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/20/2014 21:20
  • Post subject:
Quote:
nurtured, fed, overfed and then killed within one week.

Perhaps you didn't like it as much as you thought you did if other peoples opinions killed something you enjoyed in a week. Seriously, some of my favorite records are touted and overtalked about (and sometimes run into the ground) but I refuse to let other people subconsciously or consciously make me feel like I shouldn't listen to something.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/20/2014 21:20
  • Post subject:
No.
Goodsir

• Posted: 04/20/2014 21:23
  • Post subject:
I like you CubaZed, I really do. But comments like "Hello apathy" really get me on my bad side. I respect your opinion and am glad that you clarified. That's enough from me, I don't want to derail the thread.
CubaZed

• Posted: 04/20/2014 21:24
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Quote:
nurtured, fed, overfed and then killed within one week.

Perhaps you didn't like it as much as you thought you did if other peoples opinions killed something you enjoyed in a week. Seriously, some of my favorite records are touted and overtalked about (and sometimes run into the ground) but I refuse to let other people subconsciously or consciously make me feel like I shouldn't listen to something.

I was exaggerating quite a bit for comedic effect but yeah you are right. Ah well, the follies of 11 year old me. Razz
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/20/2014 21:26
  • Post subject:
I haven't heard this one, but their debut is great, so I'll definitely check it out.
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 04/20/2014 21:29
  • Post subject:
It is good, I Don't like it too much It is my third favorite of them ,behind Number of the beast.. and their debut (that Is My favorite of them). I like the intro song, that jam after the intro is one of my favorite of all time.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2014 21:36
  • Post subject:
Rime of the Ancient Mariner on its own is worth the listen.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2014 21:38
  • Post subject:
Absolutely mind-blowing. "Losfer Words" and "Flash of the Blade" are brutally underrated.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 04/20/2014 22:45
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
I like you CubaZed, I really do. But comments like "Hello apathy" really get me on my bad side. I respect your opinion and am glad that you clarified. That's enough from me, I don't want to derail the thread.

Dude, chill out O_O People should be able to be apathetic about records you like without you going all crazy-Goodsir on 'em.

I haven't heard any Iron Maiden, I suppose this is the place to start, from what I'm hearing?