• Posted: 04/22/2014 18:29
  • Post subject: User Pick of the Day (#37): Passover [Cymro2011]

Passover by The Black Angels

Chart: Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by Cymro2011
Rank on User's Chart: 4
Year: 2006
Rank on BEA Overall: 3,673
Average Rating: 79/100
Summary Info: The debut album of psychedelic rock band, the Black Angels.

Cymro2011 wrote:
Found this thanks to the first track being used to advertise Fable 3. Never thought the rest of the stuff they put out would be as good as Young Men Dead. I was wrong.

Details on the implementation and chart selection process of "User Pick of the Day" can be found here and here, respectively. A chart documenting the previous picks can be found here.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2014 18:47
  • Post subject:
did u know: today is the last day of passover

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/22/2014 18:57
  • Post subject:
I really don't like this band. Everything of theirs I've heard just seems forced.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2014 19:04
  • Post subject:
Really a fantastic dark modern psychedelic record that got loads of hype when it was released. Unfortunately, Black Angels seem to be getting worse with every release, so this will likely remain their peak.

Link

• Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/22/2014 19:34
  • Post subject:
I like the album, but I think Cymro might need to promote some other albums; this one I've seen him recommend over and over again. He has a peculiar taste in music and should share more of it (not to say he hasn't, but there's probably more that he has lying around which would blow a lot of people's minds).
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/22/2014 19:38
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I like the album, but I think Cymro might need to promote some other albums; this one I've seen him recommend over and over again. He has a peculiar taste in music and should share more of it (not to say he hasn't, but there's probably more that he has lying around which would blow a lot of people's minds).

Most of the UPotD albums are chosen based on their positions in a person's chart. The only albums that were specifically chosen by the user for promotion are those that appear in the Forum Regulars' 500+ Chart, which I only pick from once a week (Sunday).
latenighttv

• Posted: 04/22/2014 19:40
  • Post subject:
Hadn't heard of these guys. Liked the vid meccalecca posted, so might have to check album out.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/22/2014 19:41
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Most of the UPotD albums are chosen based on their positions in a person's chart. The only albums that were specifically chosen by the user for promotion are those that appear in the Forum Regulars' 500+ Chart, which I only pick from once a week (Sunday).

I'm aware (sort of), but the thread titles got me confused about which was which so I just assumed Cymro picked this because it's a favorite of his. My fault there. Either way, still a great album (however, my words hold true that he needs to promote some more albums; I'm not one who tends to go chart searching anymore so direct recommendations tend to be easier to access and a lot of stuff Cymro likes tends to be different from the majority of guitar driven work which makes its presence on charts).
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 04/22/2014 19:53
  • Post subject:
Cymro does promote plenty of other things, from Bassholes to Oblivians to The Hunches to Seasick Steve. He's just not constantly parading with his garage culture. If you check the listening thread or ask him directly, though, you're gonna drown in a sea of awesome albums. I'm not sure where you see a problem.

About this album it's absolutely fantastic, and I've discovered it thanks to Cymro. I agree it can sound like it's trying hard to be lolol so trippy and d4rk, but the guitar sound is just incredible and the actual songwriting is very good too. I remember Scaruffi's review (or at least parts of it) was pretty spot on : it's noisy psych rock, but with actual songs and not just sound for the sake of it. For the popster I am, this is like heaven. As theatrical and excessive as it can be, I'm buying all of it.
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/22/2014 20:06
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
. Unfortunately, Black Angels seem to be getting worse with every release, so this will likely remain their peak.

Sadly I can't argue with that.