Frank Zappa would be ashamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:18
  • Post subject:
CubaZed wrote:
I feel like that joke died a while ago....

If it ever stopped being funny blaming benpaco for things... I just don't know what I would do. Crying or Very sad

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:19
  • Post subject:
Who said I was joking?
CubaZed

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:29
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Who said I was joking?

Meh, it's kind of obvious that it's your style of humour. Still though, I mean let's be civil. I mean it was funny at first but to make him BEA's scapegoat even in jest seems to be lacking in taste at this moment in time. Plus the fact, the joke peaked sometime around the parody avatar.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:38
  • Post subject:
Ben is lovely and the joke was never funny, imo. And if it isn't a joke it's just mean spirited. Like, I get Ben was probably the one to kick-start BEA's habit of openness, but really now, blame me or something. I started that whole "BEA is full of evil fucks waaah delete account" trend.

benpaco wrote:
To put it quite simply, I care! More than I care about some silly magazine or a professional, I feel like I know your tastes based on your charts and some of what you talk about here, and I'm interested t see what YOU have to say about it. That's what makes Brandon and Antonio and some people's charts so interesting to me, largely, is the notes.

Lol, guess I'll need to work on rewriting some of them, eh? That'll be fun when I'm in the mood. Anyways, the music forum is awesome. I'm not as attached to the lounge as I thought I was since I don't really miss it. I really don't, weirdly. I miss my Bouncy Castle but that is about it. And Squishy's Besteverville thread. Regarding writing about music, sure it is futile but it's fun to do. Well, when you're writing about albums you love. Writing about albums you're meh about, or dislike, is tedious. I guess the music forum does require you to talk about albums you're not so passionate about if you want to be a regular of any sort, but I don't see how there is anyway to get around that...though the user pick of the day does do a lot to introduce more interesting albums for discussion which I'm super grateful for. Oh and the recs are great.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:49
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Who said I was joking?

I'll be the first to admit that I was a lil dickhead when I first got here. I had closed-minded opinions on music, and even then, when I did comment on things, they were stupid, circle jerky, unintelligent, or all of the above. My posts on the games forums were usually simply stating that I thought the math was wrong or the name of the band/song/album I was voting for, I often didn't even give a reason behind it.

I think most importantly and most noticeably was my early presence in the lounge. Christ on a cracker I was terrible. I think I'd so lost my outlet on forums that were more set up for personal problems and CONSIDERABLY smaller (4 or 5 regulars with only maybe 50 users a month total), and after not having any outlet of a lot of what I was going through internally, it just boiled and boiled. I really feel comfortable here, and once I felt comfortable enough, I opened up. This in and of itself was not the problem, the problem here is that I opened up in the same way that one would reach out to a few close friends, two or three tops, and hope for personal support and such. I was a whiny twat and went on and on dealing with problems that, in the long run, are entirely meaningless. But I still felt comfortable here, and I didn't realize I was doing anything wrong. So what'd I do? I went right on complaining. Whining. Asking for help about the same thing over and over, making choices that went against logic and the advice I'd been given here. It was Jack's post about how I was just ignoring the advice I was being given here that really opened my eyes to the persona I'd created for myself on this site. It wasn't me contributing, being interesting, or even getting needed support anymore - it had simply become me whining about nothing of any importance.

I'd like to think, especially given the "Comment on Users" thread, that people saw that I have been changing. I've made a concerted effort to try to make any comments on music more intelligent or at the very least that what I post was contributing something. In the games threads, the same story is there. Even in the lounge, I'd hope that people could see a mood shift, or at least a shift in what was getting posted. I've been joking. I've been rying to give support rather than simply whining to get it. I consider a lot of people on this site to genuinely be my friends, Frogger and Swede and Cuba and Brandon and Rocky and others, and even those who I’ve not interacted as much with, such as you, Jack, Squishy, Jhereko, Defago, etc, are people I really look up to for a variety of reasons, largely due to your tastes in music, but also for unique characteristics in each of you that just make you you. I really care about the quality and wellbeing of the site and I sincerely apologize for how I did weigh it down for a considerable portion of my presence here thus far, though I thought it had become clear that things are changing. If not, that’s only more sign to myself that I need to present myself here in a way that is more true to myself - I’m not just a heartbroken whiner, there is more here to me, and if I’m failing to show that, then that’s no one’s fault but my own.

TL;DR Everyone here is wonderful and I recognize I weighed down the site, but I’d like to think I’ve gotten better. I’m really sorry if I had any part in the overall degradation of the Lounge or of the site as a whole.

PS Lethal, you and Keith were the ones that got me started listening to hip-hop and accepting rap as an art form, and I never have thanked you for that. Not trying to kiss ass, but whether or not you like me, I do want to thank you for broadening my musical horizons. As this is a music-focused website and a music focused thread, I really do appreciate your impact on my musical tastes, and if you hate me, that’s fine, but thanks.

EDIT: I have no problem with the "I blame benpaco" joke, to clarify, though thank you for the sentiment Cuba.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:54
  • Post subject:
Come on, you're like the nicest person here. Do we always have to take ourselves so seriously?! d'oh!

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:57
  • Post subject:
Back in the days before benpaco, BEA was a magical place where we all told each other (/Jhereko) we (/he) suck (/s) dicks, and called each other morons, and basically just fucked with each other like friends do, because ribbing people is fun and this is the internet, with the veil of relative anonymity that it brings. Sure, people occasionally overstepped the line, but nobody took it too seriously because we all knew, for the most part, that it was meant in jest, between friends. Then a user named benpaco came along, and he was really nice. Really nice. And because he was so nice, lots of other users thought they should be nice too. And so we got to talking about feelings. Now before, if a user talked about their feelings, we listened, but we also ribbed them and, as friends, told them they suck dicks. Everyone knew the program. But after benpaco's arrival, more and more users began talking about their feelings, and more and more users felt that instead of telling those users that they suck dicks, we should be nice to them. And, very quickly, this niceness eroded BEA's previously rhino-thick skin to a thin, flimsy film, and nobody could take a fucking joke anymore. BEA became too sensitive. Users were sharing their feelings more and more, but had lost the ability to handle jokes about those feelings. Sure, it wasn't all benpaco's fault. He just arrived in the midst of a perfect storm, with a userbase that was young and dumb enough to think that being really nice all the time was great, and a site administrator growing increasingly frustrated and grouchy with said userbase, which seemed to be getting younger as he got older. And so, after a few people weren't able to take a joke about their feelings, the site administrator decided enough was enough, and removed all of the users' right to express feelings at all, lest somebody may tell them to suck a dick and make them cry. So, when I say, "I blame benpaco", it is not just my sense of humour. It is not a joke. I genuinely blame benpaco.

p.s. It's clearly a joke. I don't actually blame anybody. Except drakonium. It's all his fault.

Last edited by Guest on 04/25/2014 00:59; edited 1 time in total
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:57
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Come on, you're like the nicest person here. Do we always have to take ourselves so seriously?! d'oh!

Whether I'm nice or not, there was undoubtedly a time I was more of a bother on the site than I was a help, and that started a trend that has had less than great results, which I have to at least take partial credit for. I appreciate it, though, tiger, since, as Jhereko can attest to, I'm somewhat paranoid if people are just annoyed by my presence here.

EDIT: I don't want back to back posts, so I'm just going to add my response to lethal's post here:

I get it. The weird thing about it all is that I'm super sensitive in real life, but frankly, I don't particularly give a shit here. I think I've only genuinely been hurt by one comment on this site, and even then, I moved on in a few minutes, and the user who posted that comment apologized. I came to BEA and joined after scouting around the forums when I saw how everyone here was buddy buddy. And I think we still are, I don't think that BEA has reached some point of hypersensitivity it can't recover from. Yeah, there's some things that might be crossing the line for people, and while I personally wouldn't be bothered by some things, I get why others would be. I understand why swede was upset, and, albeit to a lesser extent, why Brandon was upset. There's a line somewhere. That said, hell, take your best shot, I think a lot of us here still don't give a shit, and still are willing to joke around at our own expense. Was it a perfect storm? Yeah, and I was a part of it, for sure, but I guess all I'm trying to say is that it's not too late now, the site may be in a down place, but we won't stay down. You're all still wonderful people with wonderful sense of humor as a whole, and I have faith that the site will recover.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/25/2014 01:08
  • Post subject:
p.p.s. You're a sweetheart, benpaco. One day you'll make a beautiful girl very happy.

• Posted: 04/25/2014 01:11
  • Post subject:
But seriously, it was a joke. You need to chill. Whatever you do, don't smoke skunk and/or listen to Maxinquaye.