Rethinking the forums structure

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia
  • Posted: 04/25/2014 12:08
  • Post subject: Rethinking the forums structure
I promised to take a break from the forums for a while, and I still intend on doing so, but I want to give my opinion on this situation, as it's obviously a pretty big topic atm, and because I think that a whole lot of people are unhappy and leaving - the last of which lethalnezzle.

I think if you want to keep the discussions to only those about music, then there's no point in having forums at all. The site itself doesn't necessarily need a message board to function. There can be a discussion on albums or songs in the comment section for the respective albums/song pages or on users charts. When you open a forum, you create a different kind of community, more chance for users to talk in length, and with this there is simply no way that these discussions will be kept around topics related to music. Eventually people will try and get to know each other more well, and this is something that can't really be done via PMs or comments on other people's charts; and definitely can't be done just in threads relating to music. And then once people do get to know each other a bit more, this in itself opens the floor for a bunch of different topics, a bunch of different, dumb or serious threads.

So yeah.. I think having a forum but limiting it to only music just doesn't make sense. Similarly I don't think that closing every non-music thread right now will do any good. There was nothing but great discussion in that thread, sure it wasn't music related, but none of the posts were aggressive or insulting, and everybody gave their totally valid points about this situation.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal
  • Posted: 04/25/2014 12:35
  • Post subject:
I'm aware AM is busy as hell. I'm also aware he made it fairly explicit that the "lounge" isn't going to return in the near future. I have no personal vendetta against that, but he's really leaving everyone in the blue right now. Will it return? What does he think of the people leaving and etc.? I don't really mind it if he were to leave the forums as is, but he really should be addressing the situation a bit better than he is. That's not to say he isn't doing the best he can, but I'd rather not be left with a desolate forum.

As far as the whole "better off not having any forums", I'd like to say that the whole comment system really doesn't work the same way. It's not quite the response oriented thing that the forums are. Plus, the aesthetics are less than desirable.

With that being said, I really never saw a problem with the lounge myself, but I can't see what everyone is getting so upset about. The lounge was a fairly uneventful place, it was similar to the music section only with other topics. There's barely a difference between the forums now and then. I think anyone leaving over the destruction of the lounge and any non music related topic is just being stubborn.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 04/25/2014 12:55
  • Post subject:
Apologies for the lack of communication on this issue. I appreciate people taking the time to write about this, and I know the Lounge being closed right now is a cause of frustration to some people, but first and foremost this is a music website. Lately, the site has seen too much drama in the Lounge, and as a result people were deleting their accounts & standing back from contributing because the level of conversation that was taking place was offensive to a lot of people (and this isn't something that has just happened in the last two weeks but a general deterioration over a long period of time which culminated in deciding to close it to allow a cooling off period). There are plenty of other websites to have that type of conversation, and BEA doesn't necessarily need it.

Quote:
When you open a forum, you create a different kind of community, more chance for users to talk in length, and with this there is simply no way that these discussions will be kept around topics related to music. Eventually people will try and get to know each other more well, and this is something that can't really be done via PMs or comments on other people's charts; and definitely can't be done just in threads relating to music. And then once people do get to know each other a bit more, this in itself opens the floor for a bunch of different topics, a bunch of different, dumb or serious threads.

I agree, I liked the Lounge and closing it wasn't a decision taken lightly. But, the facts are, it was out of control, people were using it as a platform for whatever they wanted & it was engulfing the site in a bad way.

Quote:
So yeah.. I think having a forum but limiting it to only music just doesn't make sense. Similarly I don't think that closing every non-music thread right now will do any good. There was nothing but great discussion in that thread, sure it wasn't music related, but none of the posts were aggressive or insulting, and everybody gave their totally valid points about this situation.

The last thread was closed because; and I quote:

drakonium wrote:
HAHAHA JK LOL YOU THOUGHT IT WAS ALL A HUGE APOLOGIZE POST BUT YOU SUCK MY EIGHTEEN DICKS

This is supposed to be a music website, and that post was in a music forum specifically about music. I closed the topic because the forums here are moderated. I'm sorry people have been offended by me closing that topic, but the whole thread was off-topic and the last post was symptomatic of why the Lounge was closed in the first place.

When the Lounge re-opens, it will be for everybody (& not just the minority of people that might have enjoyed how things were). There will be a reduction in the amount of 'meta' topics (topics about other members) because these are the root cause of most of the problems, not to mention the general manner in which people are speaking. It might be an off-topic forum but that doesn't mean that posts in that forum can't comply with the other rules on the site.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 04/25/2014 12:58
  • Post subject:
I don't want to act like a fanboy or anything, but lethalnezzle leaving and deleting all his charts isn't acceptable. I don't know what to do atm, but things can't stay that way. They just can't. Closing the lounge for a week was a good idea, and to support it I delayed the BEUT. Things have gone too far though. Please re-open the lounge AM. It's time now.

EDIT : please do not quote my post out of its context. It might have been a bit excessive but throwing it like that in the middle of nowhere is unfair.

EDIT II : haha, nezzle was actually right to blame me then Laughing

Last edited by drakonium on 04/25/2014 13:28; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France
  • Posted: 04/25/2014 13:26
  • Post subject:
Dear AM, isn't nezzle's resignation your cue to loosen up a bit on this matter? By wanting to concentrate on the music discussions only (and why not after all) and jumping at a rather inoffensive post (by which I mean drakonium's), you just lost one of your best debater and provider of intelligent music talk. Don't you think you might have overreacted?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind reply.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 04/25/2014 13:44
  • Post subject:
Yo, don't make me a martyr for anything. I spend too much time here, and I should be focusing my writing on the various blogs that I'm supposed to be a part of (but never contribute to). Most of my decent writing happens here, which I feel is unfair on the people who I'm supposed to be writing for. Also, I just have no interest in a forum where I can't talk about anything outside of music. As I said in that thread, I love discussing music IRL, but I wouldn't stay friends with people who wouldn't let me talk about anything else. I realised that the thread which got closed was actually the funnest thread I'd posted in for a while, since before the Lounge was closed, and when it became apparent that even that sort of thread was against the rules I just decided that it wasn't worth being here. I'll be back when we're allowed to talk about other stuff again. Don't cry for my charts, they'll be back too. Until then, if anybody needs to contact me for anything, you can PM me on this account, and I'll give you my e-mail address. I will be deleting this account within 24 hours, so holla. I just figured that I'd never stop coming here unless I deleted my account.

Peace.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 04/25/2014 13:58
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Dear AM, isn't nezzle's resignation your cue to loosen up a bit on this matter? By wanting to concentrate on the music discussions only (and why not after all) and jumping at a rather inoffensive post (by which I mean drakonium's), you just lost one of your best debater and provider of intelligent music talk. Don't you think you might have overreacted?

No, I don't think I overreacted by closing that particular thread. The thread was off-topic in a moderated forum & so it was closed (& it probably should have been closed well before the final post). I didn't delete lethal's account, it was his decision to do that & I'm sorry he decided to do it.

As regards it being a cue for me to change, no it's not. A week was mentioned initially by somebody in the thread that kicked this all off, and I happened to agree with that. However, I don't think the Lounge will be any different unless there are some rule changes, and these need to be thought through & finalised before the Lounge is re-opened.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France
  • Posted: 04/25/2014 14:11
  • Post subject:
'k thanks for the swift answer.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 04/25/2014 14:31
  • Post subject:
Only thing I have to say about this situation is that this sudden shift from minimal moderation to hard moderation doesn't seem rational and cannot be justified and is misguided; that is, it cannot be just put aside by resorting to some "facts" (there were none) about deteriorating atmosphere (only thing you accomplish by calling them "facts" is rebutting any discussion on it and you can do it because it's your site and anyone that doesn't like it can leave). So Imma leave too though that's hardly a blow seeing I'm quite non-existent on the forums but I just wanted to state my reason although that might not be anyone's concern as well. Anyway, maximal moderation is not something I approve of and it decreases more than ever any remaining interest that I had in this forum; also this forum is full of great people and becomes addictive quite soon so I realize I better seize the opportunity to delete my account when I have the will and pretext to and spend the time on more fruitful stuff. Bye. Love you all Very Happy
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 04/25/2014 14:58
  • Post subject:
Anonymous wrote:
Only thing I have to say about this situation is that this sudden shift from minimal moderation to hard moderation doesn't seem rational and cannot be justified and is misguided; that is, it cannot be just put aside by resorting to some "facts" (there were none) about deteriorating atmosphere

I'm sorry that you don't like a moderated board (which is no more moderated than before as there have been no rule changes and the same amount of moderators).

You want facts about the deteriorating atmosphere?
  • Increase in the amount of reported posts (complaints about individual messages)
  • Increases in the amount of PMs sent to me complaining about other people & the tone of the forums
  • Increase in the amount of 'ignored' users (on people's ignore lists)
  • Increase in the number of people deleting their accounts due to issues in the forum (prior to the Lounge being removed)
  • Decrease in the overall site demographic
  • Decrease in the amount of new members signed up versus the same time last year

I could go on, but what more facts do you need? I'm taking responsibility by actually doing something to improve the site for the people that have been messaging me about the state of the forums prior to closing the Lounge. Once the Lounge is re-opened & the metrics that I have mentioned above are moving in the right direction, everybody that has decided to remain here will be better off.

Anonymous wrote:
(only thing you accomplish by calling them "facts" is rebutting any discussion on it and you can do it because it's your site and anyone that doesn't like it can leave). So Imma leave too though that's hardly a blow seeing I'm quite non-existent on the forums but I just wanted to state my reason although that might not be anyone's concern as well. Anyway, maximal moderation is not something I approve of and it decreases more than ever any remaining interest that I had in this forum; also this forum is full of great people and becomes addictive quite soon so I realize I better seize the opportunity to delete my account when I have the will and pretext to and spend the time on more fruitful stuff. Bye. Love you all Very Happy

If I was rebutting discussion, I wouldn't be responding to any of these posts. It's your decision to spend time on whatever you want to do, so good luck.
  • Visit poster's website