Inception's Ending (Spoiler Alert)

View previous topic :: View next topic
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 08/10/2010 02:07
  • Post subject: Inception's Ending (Spoiler Alert)
Ill start by being a little Cliche in saying that the movie was genius and that I'll watch it again without are doubt. It is a masterclass in film directing and possibly will be the greatest movie of this decade (Movies released at the start of a decade tend to claim this accolade)

However the ending really bugged me. Not because I need to be spoon fed answers or anything like that it just didn't make sense.

From the start of the scene where they get on the plane it's obvious that they are all awake, before they go into the mind fuck that is the quadruple layer of dreams they delve into. They then all wake up on the same plane.

There is no hint throughout the movie that they were all asleep up to this bit of the movie. So how is it possible that he would still be asleep when he gets home to his kids?

If somehow we figure out that they were asleep the whole time, The Director has just succumbed to one of the most cliche story twists of our time, IT WAS ALL A DREAM. But I dont honestly think Chris Nolan would intentionally give people a reason to think he's a B grade director by using this flimsy plot technique. This begs the question, is there something bluntly obvious that I've missed to suggest at all that he may still be asleep or have I delved to deep unnecessarily?
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 08/10/2010 07:44
  • Post subject:
The two main interpretations are:

They all wake up as planned.

OR

Cobb is still asleep (didn't make it out of limbo) and dreams that they all wake up as planned.

In the latter interpretation, the implication is not that being on the plane was a dream in the first place, but that waking up on the plane was.
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 08/10/2010 09:32
  • Post subject:
That's a fair point, Ill have to watch the end again to see if theres something I can pick up.

If waking up on the plane was the dream where is this dream being set up from? are his colleagues setting this up for him, or is he dreaming from limbo?