My own personal tournament.

View previous topic :: View next topic
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2014 18:14
  • Post subject: My own personal tournament.
I have been doing a tournament to determine the Best Album of 1967, as a proof-of-concept to see if it could apply to other years or even to other ranked lists.

Here's how it works.

1. Write down your top 8 albums fitting this category (my own current best of 1967)
2. Write down the top 16 albums that are not your top 8. This gives you a field of 24 albums. (I have six albums already from the top ranked albums, so I ended with with 16 albums from BEA's top 22.)
3. Take your top 16. Pair them up into 8 pairs, with highest ranked vs. lowest ranked, second highest ranked vs. second lowest ranked, and so on. (Velvet Underground and Nico vs. The Byrds - Younger than Yesterday; Are You Experienced vs. Rolling Stones - Between the Buttons, etc. Sgt. Pepper and The Doors are already in my top 8, so I skip them this round).
4. Listen to one pair of albums per day. Pick the one you like best to advance to the next round. (First pair was Days of Future Past vs. Something Else by the Kinks. I picked DOFP).
5. When you have finished the first round, take a break. Start a second tournament, for instance.
6. Round 2. You have your 8 (listed in step 1) plus 8 new albums (narrowed down from 16). Pair these up, so that your top ranked rank (the aforementioned Sgt Pepper) is paired with the lowest ranked new album (the also aforementioned Younger Than Yesterday), second ranked (for me, that's Magical Mystery Tour) vs. second lowest ranked of the new ones that advance (Nico's Chelsea Girl), on down to your #8 album (Mamas & Papas Deliver) vs. the top ranked advancer (Are You Experienced?)
7. Listen to a pair per day. Pick the one you want to advance. If your not sure, advance the album you are less familiar with.
8. You now have 8. Seed them with the remnants of your 8 first in your order, followed by the new ones in order of the rank from their list.
9. Between each round, take a break, do another tournament. Take your time with this.
10. When the tournament is finished, set up your BEA chart to reflect the results.

In theory, you can apply this to any list, you can vary the size of the two lists (yours and new), however you want to do it. 24 albums, listening to two per day, will take three to five weeks not counting pauses.

So far I've done the first round, the round of 16 from 1967.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/21/2014 18:28
  • Post subject: Re: My own personal tournament.
Listmeister wrote:
(...)lowest ranked,(...)The Byrds - Younger than Yesterday

Crying or Very sad

Listmeister wrote:
(First pair was Days of Future Past vs. Something Else by the Kinks. I picked DOFP).

Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2014 19:03
  • Post subject: Re: My own personal tournament.
Norman Bates wrote:
Shocked

Well, those were just examples. If you're interested, I can give you the full results.

(If you're not interested, just skip ahead to the next post)

13. Kinks - Something Else vs. 15. Moody Blues - Days of Future Past
I liked the Kinks record, but I've always been a Moody Blues fan. DOFP sounds really good on Vinyl, and wins.

11. The Doors - Strange Days vs. 16. Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk. I was completely blown away by Safe as Milk. Strange Days was like The Doors' debut without the crowning moment of awesome that is Light My Fire. Vote to CB & the Magic Band.

10. Cream - Disraeli Gears vs. 17. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You. While Disraeli Gears does have its Crowning Moment of Awesome (Sunshine Of Your Love) none of the other tracks grab me the way that one does. Aretha's vocals are justifiably lauded. Queen of Soul beats Ginger, Bruce and God.

9. Jimi Hendrix Expereince - Axis: Bold as Love vs. 18. Nico - Chelsea Girl.
Nico has a very haunting voice. As I commented on that album, her voice carries you away to a time even farther away than 1967. Axis doesn't grab me the way the other JHE albums do. Vote to Nico.

8. Songs of Leonard Cohen vs. 19. Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding. Here we have like vs. like, two songwriters singing songs that they have written. Cohen's poetry is, IMHO, slightly better, more poetical, and his voice is much more listenable than Dylan's. Vote to Leonard, Songs of.

5. Love - Forever Changes vs. 20. Tim Buckley - Goodbye and Hello. Forever Changes is a masterpiece of psychedlia. (Buckley was okay). All you need to vote for is Love.

4. Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? vs. 21. The Rolling Stones - Between the Buttons. Tough call. Are You Experienced is much better, I think, than Axis, what with the Foxy Lady and Third Stone and so on. On the other hand, Rolling Stoners forgive me, but Between the Buttons was the first Stones album I enjoyed, and might want to listen to again. But I have to pick one. Between the Buttons would have beaten Axis, but not Are You Experienced.

2. Velvet Underground and Nico vs. 22. The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday. I got tired of VU&N during the Debut Albums tournament (my complaint was, too much Velvet Underground, not enough Nico), but last week I heard it for the first time in months, and, to be honest, it's starting to grow on me. I'm not saying it's becoming a favorite or anything, but I'm not sick of it anymore. Now, the Byrds have glorious harmonies, and the Younger Than Yesterday album showcases them. So my vote goes to the Byrds.

Next round my top 8 (on the left) vs. new albums, on the right:
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band vs. 22. The Byrds - Younger than Yesterday
2. Magical Mystery Tour vs. 18. Nico - Chelsea Girl
3. The Who Sell Out vs. 17. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
4. Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermints vs. 16. Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
5. Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow vs. 15. Moody Blues - Days of Future Past
6. The Doors vs. 8. Songs of Leonard Cohen
7. Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn vs. 5. Love - Forever Changes
8. The Mamas and the Papas Deliver vs. 4. Are You Experienced.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/22/2014 18:39
  • Post subject:
I'm as crazy as you are and might try your game sometime later tonight, or tomorrow. We'll compare results.
  • Visit poster's website