Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/27/2014 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1281): Nowhere by Ride
Today's album of the day

Nowhere by Ride (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1990.
Overall rank: 426
Average rating: 81/100 (from 183 votes).

Tracks:
1. Seagull
2. Kaleidoscope
3. In a Different Place
4. Polar Bear
5. Dreams Burn Down
6. Decay
7. Paralysed
8. Vapour Trail

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
soundguardian

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2014 20:35
  • Post subject:
One of my favorites, Ride really drives the essence of shoegaze home with this one. the blending of instrumentation is just so homogeneous and his silky vocals float on top like... fluffy cumulus clouds

can I also take the time now to point out that "Dreams Burn Down" is perfect? It means a lot to me, so i might be a little biased Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 05/27/2014 20:57
  • Post subject:
Essential shoegaze!!! The album cover tells you everything you need to know about how it feels. The two eps that preceded this are also great & completely different as they are great to rock out to. Chelsea Girl, Drive Blind, etc are some of my favorite shoegaze tracks due to their cathartic, whirling dervish nature.

Need to also plug my favorite album by them since it doesn't get any love - Going Blank Again. In a category all by itself. More Britpop than shoe gaze. I can see fans of post-Leisure (of course) Blur digging it.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 05/27/2014 21:07
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Need to also plug my favorite album by them since it doesn't get any love - Going Blank Again.

Yep its my fav too. Nowhere is still really great tho
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 05/27/2014 21:40
  • Post subject:
One of my favourite shoegaze albums. With a Madchester influence so prominent that I thought that I was listening to The Stone Roses. Laughing Vapour Trail is one of the best songs of all time.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 05/27/2014 21:49
  • Post subject:
It's solid, possibly very good. It's a bit sitting on the fence, though. Not quite heavy, not quite dreamy, not quite catchy, it's not quite anything. Don't get me wrong, I really like it; it's just that if we're going to compare the three super-acclaimed shoegaze bands, MBV is much better at the loud guitar thing, Slowdive's music is much more evocative and dreamy, and both are far more enveloping.

Irish nailed it : the sound like the Stone Roses, except they are nowhere near as good at writing a melody, and their sound isn't that great either.
  • Visit poster's website
Secondsoul

Ireland

• Posted: 05/27/2014 22:46
  • Post subject:
This album is a masterpiece. I have it at number 2, second only to Loveless in my Top 100 list of the greatest ever shoegaze albums. Check it out

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=18653
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 05/27/2014 23:09
  • Post subject:
Classic shoegaze, probably one of the more fun and upbeat albums of the genre. Obviously they had that Madchester influence and verged on Britpop at times, but they went the full way in drenching every pop melody they had in spacey guitars and levels of reverb only fitting for shoegaze. The guitar tone on Vapour Trail is still one of the most sacred things to me as far as music goes, absolutely astounding. Ride were always a bit spotty for me, Going Blank Again is fine but crosses the line into Britpop a bit too far, although Twisterella is a classic track. Their early eps are also solid, but just don't have the same quality of songwriting as Nowhere. Nowhere is just an interesting snapshot of a band at their finest moment, never to be matched by what came before or after, but as a singular work astounding in its own right.

I think I'll take a nap to it right now.
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 05/28/2014 08:34
  • Post subject:
soundguardian wrote:
the blending of instrumentation is just so homogeneous and his silky vocals float on top like... fluffy cumulus clouds

can I also take the time now to point out that "Dreams Burn Down" is perfect? It means a lot to me, so i might be a little biased Embarassed

Nice metaphor. I love to watch the sky and the clouds while listening to Nowhere.

Dreams Burn Down is one of my favourites off the album too,it's really perfect (listening to it right now) -it's the most cathartic song imo and my second favourite lyrically along with Vapour Trail.

This album is musically a beautiful wall of sound, energetic and at the same time it's melancholic. All the songs work perfectly together as an album. It's an album that makes me think of things like past and fate, especially Vapour Trail, which is one of my all time album closers ever. (When I was searching for the lyrics I read a beautiful explanation of the meaning of this song by Jhereko on an another website:)
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/28/2014 10:39
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
It's solid, possibly very good. It's a bit sitting on the fence, though. Not quite heavy, not quite dreamy, not quite catchy, it's not quite anything. Don't get me wrong, I really like it; it's just that if we're going to compare the three super-acclaimed shoegaze bands, MBV is much better at the loud guitar thing, Slowdive's music is much more evocative and dreamy, and both are far more enveloping.

This is spot on. Couldn't have said it better.