Genre extravaganza

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/28/2014 19:01
  • Post subject: Genre extravaganza
So, Repoman came up with a ballin idea about a genre thread where we just nominate genres and then create threads/make recs based upon albums within that genre. I assume that the most broad genres really won't be a popular thing (such as electronic, rock, metal, etc. Basically anything that encompasses all sounds within a certain style of music) so basically just nominate the genres you wanna see have a recommendation thread/discussion thread (depending on how we want to do this) and then we'll throw them into the random hat generator and create a thread weekly (so that too many threads don't overshadow one another). I liked the idea, what about the rest of you guys (won't really be much of an extravaganza without a large group)?

EDIT: Other additions could be charts which encompass genres attached to each thread or whatever as well as possibly deciding the most important albums regarding each genre. However, the idea is mainly to get more obscure albums into people's radars, but it doesn't need to have that limitation.

THE EDIT TO END ALL EDITS

Genres chosen so far:

American Primitivism: Nominated by Brandon
shoegaze: Nominated by the trumpet playing Walrus
slowcore: Nominated by Walrus
folk rock: Nominated by Repoman
post-punk: Nommed by Repo
post-Hardcore: Nommed by Repo
Stoner Rock/Metal: Nommed by Norman
Sludge metal: Nommed by Norman
Drone: Nommed by Norman
Krautrock: Nommed by Nick
Jazz Fusion: Nommed by Nick
Electric Blues: Nommed by Nick
Post - Rock: Nommed by Irish
Country/rural blues: Nommed by Mercury
Neo-Psychedelic: Nommed by Atonio
Punk: Nommed by Atonio
New Wave: Nommed by Miles
Dark cabaret: Nommed by Suede
Neo-classical: Nommed by Suede
Latin Alternative: Nommed by Happymeal
Black Metal: Nommed by Nech
RIO (Rock in opposition): Nommed by Nech
Ambient: Nommed by Nech
Power metal: Nommed by Gowie
Emo: Nommed by Gowie
Trip - hop: Nommed by Soundguardian
Grunge: Nommed by Soungguardian
dub: Nommed by Noxwax
techno: Nommed by nowax
indie pop/C86: Nommed by nowax
funk: Nommed by nowax
Trap rap: Nommed by Window
indie hip-hop: Nommed by /0
modern classical: Nommed by /0
IDM: Nommed by /0
Noise rock: Nommed by Repoman
Space Rock: Nommed by Repoman
Outlaw Country: Nommed by Happymeal
Drum N Bass: Nommed by antaios
downtempo: Nommed by downtempo
Art Rock: Nommed by downtempo
Art pop: Nommed by revolver
West Coast Hip Hop: Nommed by Lethal
Hair Metal: Nommed by Rocky
Grunge: Nommed by Jman
Dream pop: Nommed by Cuba
Progressive Country: Nommed by Happymeal

Volunteers:

Gowie - Power metal, Emo, Noise Rock
Nech - Death metal, Krautrock
Happymeal - Latin Alternative
Mercury - Delta blues, Rural/Country blues
Spacetiger - Delta blues
Lethal - Hip hop, Reggae, Soul, UK Urban Dance
Dividesbyzero - Post-minimalism, spectralism,Indie Hip Hop, IDM
Precedent - Country-Pop, Neo Soul, Pop - Rap from 00's to 10's
Kool Keith Sweat - Los Angeles punk late 70's - mid 80's
Mies - Stoner Rock
RepoMan - Noise Rock, Proto-punk/Punk/Hardcore, Post-punk , Post-hardcore , Post-rock
NickVolos - Krautrock, Jazz Fusion, Electric Blues
meccalecca - American primitivism, Slowcore, Post-Punk
Suede - Indie Pop, Shoegaze
Tonality - Drum n bass
Rocky - Hair Metal
Lethal - Gangsta rap
eyezayzay - Grunge, Soul, Neo-Soul, Trip Hop, Shoegaze, Dream pop, Neo-Psychadelic rock/pop, Synth Pop, Synth punk, Witch House, chillwave, Ethereal Wave, Alternative Dance, nerdcore rap

OTHER IMPORTANT EDIT:

For anyone joining us who is late to the party, I'd recommend having a read through the whole thread. A bit has changed from the original post (which I will eventually get to edit regarding those particular changes) so reading through the whole thread might be best. Basically, you can nominate a genre if you want to and not have to know a lot about it (this concept never required that anyways, but I wanted to make it explicit). A schedule will come, but we're still working out a few kinks and nominations are still going on (I actually don't know when I should end that, but a suggestion was made regarding a genre subforum here so I'm mainly waiting for a response from AM on that as it'll make this much easier to get done).

However, here's the explanation regarding the volunteers section of this post. Basically, volunteers are just people willing to start the particular genre thread giving a history (how much is up to them) of the genre and some necessary albums that someone should listen to if they have no foothold within that genre.

The process will work like this. We will first work out a schedule (this will happen after we have nominations complete which we are still waiting on AM's response to the thread in the suggestions subforum). After that, I'll message the person a week in advance (they'll know when their turns are because of the schedule, but just in case they didn't notice, the message will help) so they'll have something prepared (however, if you do it last minute, it's no problem) for their day. As an addition, I believe working our way bottom up (subgenre to main genre) would work out the best. I'm not sure about others though so be sure to respond to the idea if you take issue with it. After they make the thread, any member can come in, give their opinion and/or discuss what constitutes an album being in that genre. However, recommendations should be prioritized, but I personally would enjoy seeing discussion too so it'd be great to see some comments regarding the particular albums you recommend.

I'll be editing a bit more as to add more information. If you have any qualms regarding the current process/system, be sure to respond in thread and suggest some improvements! Any way to make this easier and/or better would be appreciated!

MORE INFORMATION REGARDING PROCESS:

A bit has changed regarding the process as a whole. Since many people are volunteering for a time period (and we decided time periods were not going to be allowed regarding genre threads), I think that a more collaborative effort will assist in this regard. This means that if a genre has several volunteers, instead of one person overlooking the creation of the genre thread, several of them will. How they achieve this is up to them, but the point is that this will require far more cooperation than previously mentioned.

Also, for those of you who might be confused, whenever a genre thread is created, the main idea of it is to create discussion and get recommendations at the same time. I'd rather not this be another recommend and leave type of activity so be sure to write reviews on finds, the albums you post, and discuss the genre in general. Be sure to ask any questions you have. Remember, this is a very friendly community regarding discovery and that we will attempt to assist you in any way possible if you don't comprehend something.

RELEVANT THREADS:

First Voting Thread
Second Voting Thread
Genre Breadth Voting Thread

GENRE THREADS

American Primitivism
IDM
Country/Deep Blues
Stoner Rock
Post Rock
Industrial Techno
Dub
Indie Pop

Schedule for first 5:

Genre ____________Date run_____________Helmed by
American Primitivism........................June 30th - July 11th..........Mecca(Tentative)
IDM..........July 21st - Aug 4th............../0
Country Blues..........Aug 6th - Aug 20th..............Mercury
Post-Rock................Aug 21st - Sep 3rd.............KoolKeithSweat (KKS) - Postponed indefinitely
Stoner Rock............Aug 28th - Sep 11th.............Gowi

Last edited by Happymeal on 05/05/2015 13:41; edited 54 times in total
NickVolos
Segnahc Reve4

Location: Land of the Argonauts, Centaurs and other such creatures
Greece

• Posted: 05/28/2014 19:10
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I like RM's idea! Applause It would be a good resource to have around.

Edit: Hopefully the 'genre' entity will be incorporated to the BEA site at some point...
For worship, being born among these trees?"

Last edited by NickVolos on 05/28/2014 19:18; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 05/28/2014 19:13
  • Post subject:
This is brilliant and exciting. Surprised I usually use RYM's genre charts for this sort of thing, but more resources is always great! Very Happy
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/28/2014 19:28
  • Post subject:
Also, if we want to go this far, we could always add countries to the mix and do genres in particular countries/areas of the world, but I'm aware that is more difficult so I'm just throwing it out (if we don't want to cross genre to country, we could always just do country and genre separately like the way album of the day is separate from world album of the day. One thread for the particular country/area of world and one thread for genre depending on how people respond).
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 05/28/2014 22:03
  • Post subject:
No wave. Oh wait
  • Visit poster's website
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 05/28/2014 22:10
  • Post subject:
When're we gonna start nominating? Because...American Primitivism.
NickVolos
Segnahc Reve4

Location: Land of the Argonauts, Centaurs and other such creatures
Greece

• Posted: 05/28/2014 22:18
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
When're we gonna start nominating? Because...American Primitivism.

Here's just an idea: For each Album Of The Day we can vote on its genre and whether the album is essential for that genre. It would take longer but it would be an on-going process and hopefully fun. What do you think?
For worship, being born among these trees?"
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 05/28/2014 22:19
  • Post subject:
I'll nom shoegaze and or slowcore.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 05/28/2014 22:28
  • Post subject:
NickVolos wrote:
Here's just an idea: For each Album Of The Day we can vote on its genre and whether the album is essential for that genre. It would take longer but it would be an on-going process and hopefully fun. What do you think?

You mean User Pick of the Day or Album of the Day or both? *shrugs* Could be cool. Though it might be a little over-complicated and it might be easier and just as rewarding (if not more) to make the genre of the week separate from the user pick of the day/album of the day.
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/28/2014 22:38
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
You mean User Pick of the Day or Album of the Day or both? *shrugs* Could be cool. Though it might be a little over-complicated and it might be easier and just as rewarding (if not more) to make the genre of the week separate from the user pick of the day/album of the day.

That's the original idea (separate from anything else is what I refer to) and unless a majority decides otherwise, we'll go ahead with that. Anyways, you guys can start nominating anytime you want to. I'm hoping there'll be a large amount within an hour and 30 min (because I'll be out for about that, probs more like 2 hours to 2 hours and 30 min), but, if not, I wouldn't mind having just a small group doing this.

However, I'm thinking of this situation:

We vote one the genres we want after the nomination process is complete. There'll be 4 every month (so that'll make it about once a week with regards to how the months change). We'll vote in a different thread as well.

EDIT: Regarding the whole "areas of the world" idea earlier, I might just hold off on that for another time after this is up and going.

EDIT2: Also, I'll be editing my original post once the nominations start going through. Nominate 2 to 3 genres (sounds like a round number). Start with 2 and if this doesn't catch a huge amount of attention, move up to 3.

EDIT3: Also, should I make the user post the thread regarding the nomination they chose or should I just post everything (I think users who nominate certain genres tend to understand them better)?