The White Album as a single LP?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 05/28/2014 19:46
  • Post subject: The White Album as a single LP?
I did make an effort to find any thread on this (or, even better, a thread in general on turning double albums into single albums) but couldn't find one. If there is, please feel free to redirect me.

Anyway. The White Album. Words that come to mind for me include "bloated" and "unneccesary". However, some of the best Beatles stuff ever is on this record, and I decided to take a little time to do an experiment where I turned the double album into a single album. And I am VERY happy with the results. In fact, if this had been released, I would call this easily The Beatles' best album and a strong, strong contender for best album ever.

Anyway, here's what I came up with. I was very meticulous with this - I have all my notes on the process - and made it so that each side fits the constraints of a vinyl record, that the songs still play in the order they appear on the original, etc.

Side A

1: Back in the U.S.S.R.
2: Dear Prudence
3: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
4: Happiness is a Warm Gun
5: I'm So Tired
6: Blackbird
7: Why Don't We Do It In the Road?
8: Julia

Side B (Side C of the original White Album)

1: Birthday
2: Yer Blues
3: Mother Nature's Son
4: Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
5: Sexy Sadie
6: Helter Skelter
7: Long, Long, Long

I think it works fantastically. Thoughts, BEA? I know there's pretty much an even divide in the camps for this album on the forums, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who's done this on here (I'm really excited to see what Facetious thinks of this, actually). You're more than welcome to come up with your own.

Also, seriously, make a fucking playlist for this in iTunes. I've only ever listened to the full White Album like four times ever; I've listened to this over 50.
  • Visit poster's website
Mdemauri

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2014 19:54
  • Post subject:
They also included a song that Ringo sang lead on as well. You'd have to include Don't Pass Me By or Good Night. But there are so many other songs that I like that are missing.

I might be in the camp that says it's fine as a double album. Shocked

I like your thinking though and making the running order and length fit a proper album.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/28/2014 19:54
  • Post subject:
I think this is what you were looking for:

Double Albums: Trim the Fat
CubaZed

• Posted: 05/28/2014 19:58
  • Post subject:
The problem I have with abridging the White Album is that it loses some of the very eclectic "meh" attitude that went into arranging the tracks that made it great. That said, this is a pretty decent track list. I'd honestly recommend adding something from Side D though. Savoy Truffle perhaps?
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 05/28/2014 20:03
  • Post subject:
Mdemauri wrote:
They also included a song that Ringo sang lead on as well. You'd have to include Don't Pass Me By or Good Night. But there are so many other songs that I like that are missing.

I might be in the camp that says it's fine as a double album. Shocked

I like your thinking though and making the running order and length fit a proper album.

My issue with Don't Pass Me By is more a cohesiveness issue (I'm not a fan of Good Night, or any of Side D for that matter; I think Long, Long, Long is amazing and should've closed). I like the song but it didn't fit well between Blackbird/Julia like WDWDIITR does. Same goes for Glass Onion, which is one of the best songs on the entire album. Also, the running time would've been an issue with either song included. My stipulation was that each side could not be longer than the longest side on the original (Side D, which is 24:27 if I recall correctly).
  • Visit poster's website
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 05/28/2014 20:26
  • Post subject:
I like your idea and your choices even if I love the White Album as it is, a double album.
I still think Helter Skelter and Long, long, long are not really good next to each other. I always turn up the volume after Helter Skelter because Long, long, long starts off too quietly (or should I say the first half of the song is quiet compared to the loudest ever Beatles song)

If I made a list of single album I would add Savoy Truffle, or Piggies, too. I love all the Harrison songs on this album. I would also add Glass Onion as it is one of the best songs on the album imo.
I also love Cry Baby Cry. Even Revolution 9 has its charm!

Funny is that the first version of the White Album I got is a Hungarian 1993 released album called "The White Album - A Selection", and it is a single album. Later I got an another tape including the original double album.

So my first White Album tape has this songs in order:

A-side

1. Back in the USSR
2. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
3. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
5. I'm So Tired
6. Blackbird
7. I Will
8. Piggies

B-side

1. Birthday
2. Mother Nature's Son
3. Sexy Sadie
4. Revolution 1
5. Hone Pie
6. Cry Baby Cry
7. Good Night
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 05/28/2014 20:35
  • Post subject:
SACRILEGE!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I'm only sorta kidding.
pranafilms

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2014 23:45
  • Post subject:
I love experimenting with The White Album. While I do love the album as a whole, I does have it share of filler, be it entertaining filler. I have done many versions of single disc White Album, including many different versions off of Anthology 3. This is my current version.

Side 1
1. Back in the U.S.S.R.
2. Dear Prudence
3. Glass Onion [Anthology]
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps [Anthology]
5. Blackbird
6. Happiness Is a Warm Gun
7. Don't Pass Me By [Anthology]
8. Not Guilty

Side 2
9. Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey
10. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da [Anthology]
11. Sexy Sadie [Anthology]
12. Long, Long, Long
13. Helter Skelter [Anthology]
14. Cry Baby Cry [Anthology]
15. Good Night

I wish I could have Yer Blues or Julia on here, but I think this works well. I mad another version without Glass Onion and with the original While My Guitar... and Side 2 started with Yer Blues, the Anthology Ob-La-Di, EGSTHEFMAMM, the original Sexy Sadie, Long, Long, Long, the original Helter Skelter and Good Night with the Can You Take Me Back excerpt from Cry Baby Cry ending the album.

Which version is better? Would any of you put Anthology cuts or any bootleg version on your version?
  • Visit poster's website
newbands1

• Posted: 05/29/2014 02:16
  • Post subject:
For me no.It's part of the "eclectic double album concept"I have no doubts cutting down the album and selecting the best tracks would make for a more immediate and enjoyable listening experience.But that would apply also to any album above 45 minutes.(London Calling,69 Love Songs,etc.)
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 05/29/2014 03:00
  • Post subject:
newbands1 wrote:
For me no.It's part of the "eclectic double album concept"I have no doubts cutting down the album and selecting the best tracks would make for a more immediate and enjoyable listening experience.But that would apply also to any album above 45 minutes.(London Calling,69 Love Songs,etc.)

I disagree on London Calling. It's the one double album that I think absolutely nails it from start to finish, perfectly.
  • Visit poster's website