Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2014 15:16
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Would this possibly fall under the umbrella of American Primitivism?

It's a bit more ambient, and less dusty, than anything I've found associated with American Primitivism, but I could see it existing on the fringe. Have I mentioned that I hate genre labeling? Whatever this is it's quite beautiful
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 06/30/2014 15:46
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
It's a bit more ambient, and less dusty, than anything I've found associated with American Primitivism, but I could see it existing on the fringe. Have I mentioned that I hate genre labeling? Whatever this is it's quite beautiful

Haha, I wouldn't worry too much, I'm not going to lose any sleep over not being able to unnecessarily pigeonhole this wonderful record. Just thought it might be of interest to anybody who enjoys some of the albums in this thread.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 06/30/2014 15:50
  • Post subject:
Mecca, what's your take on the ideology that might be underlying this "back to the roots" move? How much would you say the term "primitivism" is fitting, considering the considerable amount of virtuosity that's audible in these records?
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2014 16:02
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Mecca, what's your take on the ideology that might be underlying this "back to the roots" move? How much would you say the term "primitivism" is fitting, considering the considerable amount of virtuosity that's audible in these records?

Well, the word primitive certainly often conjures up an image of that which is untrained, raw, unintelligent, so it surely, so it's a bit deceptive.

Looking up the actual definition of Primitivism, I found this:
1. a belief in the value of what is simple and unsophisticated, expressed as a philosophy of life or through art or literature.

I'd say that's extremely fitting to what Fahey and the others believed in. I just found that Fahey coined the term American Primitivism off of the French Primitivism art movement. Both movements are centered around the value of a type of folk art. Folk art is generally created by artists who are not formally trained, but formal training is never a requirement to create something intricate and beautiful.

Though, he's unquestionably a virtuoso, I'm not sure how much of Fahey's playing is self-taught, but he didn't seem to have any formal training either. I'm sure deGrassi must've though.
  • Visit poster's website
Hammy

• Posted: 06/30/2014 16:07
  • Post subject:
Great start to a wonderful idea and plenty to discover here,
especially among the modern-American Primitives of which I'm only familiar with Jack Rose.

I'll just add two more great records by Robbie Basho, which unless I'm blind weren't mentioned. Because you can never have enough good music anyway.

his second best of the 60's for my money, Venus in Cancer

Link

and one in which he sings, along with some spoken word, off Song Of The Stallion

Link
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2014 16:09
  • Post subject:
Tonality wrote:
I'll just add two more great records by Robbie Basho, which unless I'm blind weren't mentioned. Because you can never have enough good music anyway.

Can never have enough Basho. I could have listed all of the releases by Basho and Fahey, becuase they're essentially all worth a listen, but figured the post was already a bit out of control and wanted to let others like yourself to chime in with favorites.
  • Visit poster's website
Mdemauri

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2014 16:45
  • Post subject:
Really great job on this topic! I have some more discovering to do! Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 06/30/2014 17:00
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Would this possibly fall under the umbrella of American Primitivism? I personally hear more of an Irish folk influence, though there are definitely some lines in here which feel like descendants of the blues. Either way, it's definitely worth checking out given some of the similarities it shares with other albums in this thread.

Link

Simply lovely, Skinny!!!

Personally, I like to play it fast and loose with genres and especially subgenres. I want this to serve as an aid not a hindrance to discovering killer music. To me, genres simply provide a skeletal structure from which to explore and expound on music. As Mecca mentioned and I’ve touched on before, some of the best albums are the ones that skirt the boundaries of different genres.

here’s what I've written before on this…

RepoMan wrote:
I think a lot of critical releases are genre bending/genre straddling. That's what makes them so interesting. It's totally okay for key albums to be in multiple sub-genres I think. While it's cool to explore music in terms of genre, I think the key is not lose focus of the ultimate point - to find & discuss kickass albums and bands...
undefined

• Posted: 06/30/2014 18:24
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
How did you sneak past the bouncers? It was $5 at the door.

fuck what? I paid $15...

Worth every penny. This is a work of art
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 07/01/2014 00:21
  • Post subject:
That was even more beautiful than I anticipated. Surprised Zarthus wasn't mentioned, for some reason I was under the impression it was his most well-loved, though I don't know where I got that idea from. It is more piano than guitar based anyways. I do need to dig into Fahey and Basho more, I'm not good at listening to discographies, I always fall in love with one album by an artist and move on to the next artist. XD You should've gotten more into the blending of Eastern music into it, that bit is important. Razz