Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/12/2014 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1326): Isn't Anything
Today's album of the day

Isn't Anything by My Bloody Valentine (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1988.
Overall rank: 436
Average rating: 81/100 (from 242 votes).

Tracks:
1. Soft As Snow (But Warm Inside)
2. Lose My Breath
3. Cupid Come
4. (When You Wake) You're Still In A Dream
5. No More Sorry
6. All I Need
7. Feed Me With Your Kiss
8. Sueisfine
9. Several Girls Galore
10. You Never Should
11. Nothing Much To Lose
12. I Can See It (But I Can't Feel It)

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 07/12/2014 20:05
  • Post subject:
Two MBV albums on the front page that aren't Loveless, heh. Great record, but comes nowhere near Loveless.
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 07/12/2014 20:15
  • Post subject:
If the production on this album were more consistent, this could be just as good as either succeeding My Bloody Valentine release. That being said, this is great, and the songwriting is fantastic.

Track picks
1. Soft As Snow (But Warm Inside)
4. (When You Wake) You're Still In A Dream
10. You Never Should
11. Nothing Much To Lose
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 07/12/2014 20:18
  • Post subject:
It may not be Loveless, but this was them getting started in forming their own identity. You can see hints that were about to come with the aforementioned album, but at it's heart this is a noise rock induced outfit reminiscent of The Jesus and Mary Chain and Dinosaur Jr. while giving us some alterations. It's also a lot more rawer than Loveless. Like Kevin Shields wasn't in this state of perfectionism and instead wearing his influences on his sleeve. But what makes Isn't Anything so diverse from their other studio albums is how diverse the structure is. While Loveless and m b v are dreamy albums, Isn't Anything provides more dissonance material is: one moment you have an energized song drenched in noise; another is a haunting moment that brings the glide guitar to new heights. While Loveless will always be my favourite MBV album, but this is still fantastic. For the people who haven't heard it, listen to it, you are doing a disservice.

Haven't done this in a while.
RepoMan

• Posted: 07/12/2014 21:19
  • Post subject:
Great review, Hazey!

I actually like this better than Loveless! I got this, the Posies' Dear 23 and EVOL on cassette a while back when I spending the summer in Pasadena, CA. Fell in love with all three, but I wore this one out the fastest. As Hazey mentions, the diversity on this record is fantastic form the most beautiful ethereal flowers in the sky breathy Belinda I love you soundscapes to punishing Shields of white noise. Plus I my favorite records always tend to be the ones that are a little bit raw & rough. Pretty kickass record and will be in my top 100.
satiemaniac

• Posted: 07/12/2014 23:22
  • Post subject:
I was always liked my noise rock harder and my shoegaze airier. Isn't Anything is far from unique unique as Hazey pointed out some great parallels, and it's good at what it does, but I guess when I'm in the mood for that halfway-space between the two genres, I prefer JAMC any day of the week.
RepoMan

• Posted: 07/12/2014 23:49
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
I was always liked my noise rock harder and my shoegaze airier. Isn't Anything is far from unique unique as Hazey pointed out some great parallels, and it's good at what it does, but I guess when I'm in the mood for that halfway-space between the two genres, I prefer JAMC any day of the week.

Not talking Isn't Anything sounded like NOTHING else when it was dropped. It is incredibly unique. While MBV borrowed heavily from JAMC on the Geek EP by the time they were recording eps that make up The Stawberry & Ecstasy comp they were well on their way to crafting their own signature sound which influence countless shoegaze bands that followed in their footsteps. I'm glad u like Psychocandy. I love it too.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/13/2014 00:05
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:

This is more or less my feeling. It probably didn't help that I heard Loveless first, though.
lightmyway
Swimming into view

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2014 02:45
  • Post subject:
Pretty good album, not as good as Loveless but still good.
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 07/13/2014 04:27
  • Post subject:
I permanently have You Never Should stuck in my head. I <3 this album.