EPs Less Than 20 Minutes Being Flagged For Deletion?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Goodsir
  • Posted: 07/13/2014 17:19
  • Post subject: EPs Less Than 20 Minutes Being Flagged For Deletion?
Okay, I have a bit of a problem. I've been listening to all of My Bloody Valentine's EPs from 1988-1991 and rating them individually. It has come to my attention that the EP Tremolo is flagged for deletion for being less than 20 minutes long. I noticed that other EPs are allowed to be added to the site without being flagged, but the ones less than 20 minutes are flagged. I don't really see why this is, and would like to know. Thanks.
DanielNunes93

Portugal
  • Posted: 07/13/2014 18:38
  • Post subject:
This also happened to me. I think the best solution is to create a specific category for EPs, like happen with compilation albums.
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States
  • Posted: 07/13/2014 18:39
  • Post subject:
I would also enjoy seeing EPs that run under 20 minutes in the database. I think it would be a great source of recommendations if we had an overall EP chart.
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed
  • Posted: 07/13/2014 18:41
  • Post subject:
DanielNunes93 wrote:
This also happened to me. I think the best solution is to create a specific category for EPs, like happen with compilation albums.

This would a great solution. A category for albums, eps, compilations and (possibly) soundtracks.
Goodsir
  • Posted: 07/13/2014 18:42
  • Post subject:
creator wrote:
I would also enjoy seeing EPs that run under 20 minutes in the database. I think it would be a great source of recommendations if we had an overall EP chart.

That's exactly what I was thinking! I think the implementation of an individual EP category and an EP overall chart would really benefit the site.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 07/13/2014 19:09
  • Post subject:
As it stands

Quote:
6. Please do not include singles, EPs (of less than 20 minutes), or non-official releases in your album chart.

but I agree with y'all that EPs have value as well and should be on here somehow and etc.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/13/2014 19:25
  • Post subject:
I'm not sure about EPs, like some EPs could simply be a single plus one other song and be like 4 minutes long, is there really that much need for them? Especially considering a lot of songs on an EP will be released on an album eventually anyway. Like there certainly is value in them and I listen to plenty of them, I've probably even got some in my charts if they're over 20 minutes, I just don't feel we need to add more and more of them to the site, especially when they could be only a few minutes long...

• Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2014 19:39
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
I'm not sure about EPs, like some EPs could simply be a single plus one other song and be like 4 minutes long, is there really that much need for them? Especially considering a lot of songs on an EP will be released on an album eventually anyway. Like there certainly is value in them and I listen to plenty of them, I've probably even got some in my charts if they're over 20 minutes, I just don't feel we need to add more and more of them to the site, especially when they could be only a few minutes long...

I think an EP serves a purpose and should stay on the site if it contains unique music that is not released on a later album (e.g. "Sometimes The Blues Is Just A Passing Bird" by The Tallest Man On Earth). However, EPs that just contain music that is later released on a full album seem to not really serve a purpose for this site (e.g. Imagine Dragons' EP "Continued Silence").

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed
  • Posted: 07/13/2014 19:39
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:

I can definitely see what you're saying and you do have a point but I think there are plenty of short stand alone EP's to warrant a designation. Maybe an EP chart would be going a tad far (after all, we don't exactly have a chart for compilations) but a designated category could be simply implemented.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 07/13/2014 20:44
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
I think an EP serves a purpose and should stay on the site if it contains unique music that is not released on a later album (e.g. "Sometimes The Blues Is Just A Passing Bird" by The Tallest Man On Earth). However, EPs that just contain music that is later released on a full album seem to not really serve a purpose for this site (e.g. Imagine Dragons' EP "Continued Silence").

Yeah, this exactly. I mean, The Open Door EP by DCFC, Death EP by White Lies, and Upside Out by OK Go all have value, certainly, but I'd say only The Open Door deserves to be on here. There's tons of others that do too, obviously, such as Cherry Tree and Fine Line, but there are definitely a lot that don't add anything. Then again, nor do Comps.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website