who are the best live bands around now

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
DarkSideOfTheComputer

• Posted: 07/13/2014 19:16
  • Post subject: who are the best live bands around now
I'm never that impressed by bands i see at gigs or festivals. maybe im not seeing the right ones. so who would you say are the best live bands. i really want to have an awesome musical experience.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2014 19:20
  • Post subject:
Best shows I've seen (from a performance standpoint, in no particular order): Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Two Door Cinema Club, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Ben Folds, The Avett Brothers.

All of these bands had a lot of energy and were about performing their music for the audience in a way that wasn't necessarily exactly like the album. It was a show, and a really good one. There are probably some others I forgot.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 07/13/2014 19:45
  • Post subject:
Mac DeMarco, Kanye West, and Arcade Fire, in no particular order, were all incredible stage presences.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2014 20:38
  • Post subject:
Best stage performances I've ever seen were probably Dr. Dog, Antlers, and Arcade Fire, though all for entirely different reasons. Honestly Coldplay also put on one hell of a show.

Who've you had bad experiences with?

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
camsh

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/13/2014 20:58
  • Post subject:
I could name a bunch of them. Frank Turner, Arcade Fire, Biffy Clyro, Green Day, Manic Street Preachers, The Libertines, Foo Fighters, Kasabian, Queens of the Stone Age, The Vaccines and Muse off the top of my head.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2014 21:00
  • Post subject:
Also, Trans-Siberian Orchestra put on an amazing show.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
DarkSideOfTheComputer

• Posted: 07/13/2014 21:10
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Best stage performances I've ever seen were probably Dr. Dog, Antlers, and Arcade Fire, though all for entirely different reasons. Honestly Coldplay also put on one hell of a show.

Who've you had bad experiences with?

they weren't bad. they just didn't amaze me. either the sound quality wasn't great (sometimes that's more the venues fault) or there was hardly any interaction with the audience or they aren't fantastic musicians. but that's more my taste I guess. there are bands that i wouldn't be fussed about listening to at home but who I would love live. muse for example.

To give you a better idea I'll tell you the latest gigs I've been to. in the last two weeks actually.
last night i saw the cribs. One of my favourite bands. they arent great musicians, they can't sing but they have charisma, energy great melodies. the sound was too thick though. and its like 'right, play this one and that one in quick succession and bugger off.

went to a festival in london the other week to see black sabbath, soundgarden faith no more and motorhead and others ( only cost me £10/ $17 Wink ) was very meh. either I'm so used to loud music that it seems quiet to me or it actually was quite. i want to feel immersed in the music. happily consumed by it not like its gently pushing me. i dont think you need to be right near the stage to get a good sound.
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed

• Posted: 07/13/2014 21:23
  • Post subject:
DarkSideOfTheComputer wrote:

went to a festival in london the other week to see black sabbath, soundgarden faith no more and motorhead and others ( only cost me £10/ $17 Wink ) was very meh. either I'm so used to loud music that it seems quiet to me or it actually was quite. i want to feel immersed in the music. happily consumed by it not like its gently pushing me. i dont think you need to be right near the stage to get a good sound.

I can vouch for you. Soundgarden are indeed very meh live. They have no presence whatsoever and are very mild in sound on stage.
Borve

• Posted: 07/13/2014 23:45
  • Post subject:
Saw Toumani & Sidiki Diabaté last Sunday, which is easily the best concert I've been to. I've never seen any act who appeared to as proud and honored to be on stage and perform; especially Sidiki looked like the happiest man on earth, and you couldn't help but smile in return. It didn't hurt either that their musicianship and sense of musical interaction between each other was stunning, and that Toumani had some insightful things to tell. And the music: I never cry, but it came pretty close when they performed a beautiful song dedicated to the most recent Lampedusa migrant shipwreck. Which made it all the more fun that Toumani left the stage afterwards, whereupon Sidiki began to play some kora accompanied by some primitive EDM music from a computer, which would probably be horrible if he didn't was so goddamn happy

So yeah, go and see them
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 07/14/2014 04:48
  • Post subject:
Janelle Monáe will blow your fucking mind.