Poland

• Posted: 07/14/2014 06:53
  • Post subject: ALC #23: Prayer for Terrene by IDYLLS

Prayer for Terrene by IDYLLS

Listen: http://idylls.bandcamp.com/album/prayer-for-terrene
Genre: Mathcore with influences from Powerviolence, Noise, and Sludge Metal
Release Date: March 30, 2014
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Forget the other metalcore releases this year, because as far as things stand this is the one with more identity. I feel like this is similar to why Ash Borer and Nahvalr speak to me in black metal avenues and the sound comes to me in a terrifying sweeping motion of guitar riffs and hardcore punk percussion work. Much like a lot of noisecore that it owes itself to it uses the sense of frantic chaos to really draw in the listener and in a fashion similar to Gorguts to disassemble what you think is your perception before putting it all back together like an abstract jigsaw puzzle. If it wasn’t audacious to say so I would say this is the metalcore version of Gorguts’ Obscura and it really comes close and for me tops other bands that do similar work (Converge, etc). It’s just an all-out attack on the senses and it’s really worthwhile. One of my favorites that I just HAD to share with you guys.

Here’s what some of the folks on RYM think of it:

“Punishing. Unforgiving. Good to hear chaotic hardcore with the crisp production that Ballou brings to the mix.”

“All in all this was very intense and fast, with a heavy and aggressive edge to it. This gave the feeling of mentally getting very tired.”

“An unbelievably brutal, punishing, and unforgiving LP that simultaneously stays true to the heart and drenched in depth.”

“This is more wiry and less chugga-chugga prone than groups like Nails, so it has that going for it.”

End point-- it's an awesome chaotic mess full on with mathy rhythms, hardcore punk aesthetics, and noise-driven soundscapes. I absolutely adore it.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 07/26/2014 20:06
  • Post subject:
Sorry, only got around to listening to this yesterday. Liked it quite a bit actually, and it doesn't surprise me to learn that it was produced (helped produced?) by Ballou. Just wondering whether you've heard Sangharsha's Bayou, another very strong 2014 hardcore/metalcore release, also produced by him.

Anyway, will give it a few more listens before rating it / putting it on the year chart, but yeah, liked it a lot...
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 07/27/2014 12:51
  • Post subject:
It's a bit aggy, innit? Good though. Not usually my bag, but I enjoyed it the one time I listened. Will be revisiting.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2014 04:54
  • Post subject:
All-out attack is right. An aural assault, but an interesting one. It blows by fast and never slows down. There's a good bit of variety too, which you don't necessarily always hear in this genre (which often can make or break an album such as this for me). Good stuff, really interesting.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website