Music for the Masses? - I think not!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2014 13:40
  • Post subject: Music for the Masses? - I think not!
Interesting 2008 article written by former Depeche Mode member Alan Wilder on the state of music and the recording industry. Some very good insight, and strong evidence supporting the assertion that there is less music available (from the record companies anyway) than in the past. MUCH less.

Also a detailed discussion that may explain why older people don't find much to love in today's music.

http://www.side-line.com/interviews_com...0_0_16_0_C
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/23/2014 14:00
  • Post subject:
Alan Wilder wrote:
Or perhaps the devaluation has evolved from the cult of the DJ, where anyone can regurgitate the very essence of rock 'n' roll by lifting an entire 70's funk classic, adding some rap drivel over the top and calling it their own work? Is modern music regarded as an art form at all anymore?

the whole article seems very "how big can my rose colored glasses possibly be without falling off my face"

like cmon dude

Alan Wilder wrote:
A record company does not sell baked beans, it exposes art to the masses. An unquantifiable thing. Baked Beans - a quantifiable thing.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 07/23/2014 17:02
  • Post subject:
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2014 19:50
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:

Hmm...quote's blank....

Anyway, there's much more substantive comments in this article...and come on, you guys if you're going to retort can do a little better than snark and Kristen Stewart-style exasperated breaths. It's an article that attempts to tackle a subject with substantive comments, so if you're commenting on it, make substantive explanations of what you're saying.

Quote:
True excitement comes from variation in rhythm, tone, pitch and a wide range of dynamics which in turn provides space and warmth - something you're unlikely to find in much of today's rock/pop music. If you want a good example, listen to The Arctic Monkeys 'I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor' for a bombardment of the most unsubtle, one-dimensional noise.

Oh, and just because you don't like hearing "no, it's the children that are wrong" it doesn't mean it's not true Laughing After all, children often lack the knowledge and experience to guide their actions in a rational manner, yet their desire to be considered grown up and respected often causes them to make the mistake of arrogantly thinking they know better than their elders.

I found this part interesting because I never understood myself how people say digital music isn't as good as analog - my ears don't hear the difference, but possibly it's because I've lost something like 25% of my hearing over the years.

Quote:
At the moment, MP3 compression allows a smaller file to be created by excluding the musical information that the human ear is less likely to notice. Much of the information left out is at the very high and low end (MP3s don't reproduce reverb well for similar transience reasons). So when the already squashed CD master is then consumed via MP3, the flattening effect is enhanced further. The result - an unsatisfying, brittle, indistinct, hollow experience with no punch.

Last edited by Charicature on 07/23/2014 19:52; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 07/23/2014 19:52
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Is modern music regarded as an art form at all anymore?

if only we could go back to the days of High Concept Art with a capital A... days long since past... days in the year 1965 when you could make large amounts of money doing simple chord progressions, when singing required no technical ability whatsoever, when the best drummers in the world were about as good as Han Bennink as a toddler using Tupperware containers and a wooden spoon... those were the days of rational ecstasy on a massive scale
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2014 19:54
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
Quote:
Is modern music regarded as an art form at all anymore?

if only we could go back to the days of High Concept Art with a capital A... days long since past... days in the year 1965 when you could make large amounts of money doing simple chord progressions, when singing required no technical ability whatsoever, when the best drummers in the world were about as good as Han Bennink as a toddler using Tupperware containers and a wooden spoon... those were the days of rational ecstasy on a massive scale

You understand Wilder is a classically trained pianist and also spent years developing an expertise as an electronic sound engineer? He did most of the production work on 5 of DM's albums, learning on the fly in 1984.

But I guess I'll have my answer as to what level most of this thread's discussion will be. Rolling Eyes Still, it's an interesting take.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2014 20:56
  • Post subject:
I mean, I think it's fine to put things here to discuss, I just agree with most of what's been posted by others. That said, views of music definitely have changed. See

Monarchy wrote:
We feel a bit like the album concept is over, so we're going for EP's. But definitely more EPs before the end of the year. Aiming for September.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/23/2014 21:01
  • Post subject:
Charicature wrote:
Anyway, there's much more substantive comments in this article...and come on, you guys if you're going to retort can do a little better than snark and Kristen Stewart-style exasperated breaths. It's an article that attempts to tackle a subject with substantive comments, so if you're commenting on it, make substantive explanations of what you're saying.

Brevity is much more powerful than words words words. Im not going to waste my time providing in depth analysis on an article that's not worth the Kristen Stewart breath.

Charicature wrote:
After all, children often lack the knowledge and experience to guide their actions in a rational manner, yet their desire to be considered grown up and respected often causes them to make the mistake of arrogantly thinking they know better than their elders.

I think this is a joke?

Charicature wrote:
But I guess I'll have my answer as to what level most of this thread's discussion will be

Yes I am sorry that I am not praising someone for saying “modern music isn’t art” like it isn’t a statement of someone who claims dolphins are the only things living in the ocean because he saw one jump out of the water once.
“True [musical] excitement” is not something that’s universal, so saying some general statement and then tacking on a song and saying “see?? Music is now garbage” is as empty an argument as they come.
In regards to the MP3 stuff, im no expert, but I am pretty sure that’s either out of date or incorrect. MP3 can be of very high quality, better than vinyl, right?
Like, I understand his underlying point about record companies, but it seems like he’s just using it as an excuse to attack modern music as a whole and then doing what I absolutely hate in writing by just using the conclusion as a diving board for questions that the reader can quite obviously understand which side the writer is on. It’s like your driver is asking whether to take a left or right turn while consistently veering left the whole time. So no, it’s not an interesting take. In fact it’s quite stale. Oh an older person hates modern music how refreshing. next he’ll be yelling at kids to get off his lawn and talking about how he used to walk a mile to school and paid 5 cents for coke.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/23/2014 21:25
  • Post subject:
Charicature wrote:
You understand Wilder is a classically trained pianist and also spent years developing an expertise as an electronic sound engineer? He did most of the production work on 5 of DM's albums, learning on the fly in 1984.

What difference does it make whether he's a classically trained pianist? I'm sure there are countless "classically trained" musicians participating in modern music, as if that somehow legitimizes their opinion about what art is. He must live in some kind of narcissistic bubble to even consider suggesting that all modern music has suddenly ceased to function as "art" simply because it is disseminated in a more compressed digital format.

I mean, think about it. You lost 25% of your hearing, right? As you're listening to vinyl or CDs, do you find yourself no longer to appreciate old music as "art" simply because of that loss in sensitivity (most of which will likely be in the range chopped off by digital compression)?
Goodsir

• Posted: 07/23/2014 22:07
  • Post subject:
Wow, what a terrible article. It's depressing to see a major musician so closed-minded towards modern music.