Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
eyal91

Israel

• Posted: 07/29/2014 21:49
  • Post subject: Question
Well, I don't sure if it's belongs to this forum but I have a question:

In the chart rules there's a rule saying no adding EPs that are shorter than 20 minutes.
However, I know an album that is shorter than 20 minutes, but it's an album, not an EP. The band has an EPs, this one is an actual album.

Can I add it to BEA?
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 07/29/2014 22:08
  • Post subject:
Yes, as far as I know. If the band call it an album, then it's an album. I know of quite a few albums that fall short of the 20-minute mark, including one of my favourites from this year. It's cool, I believe.
eyal91

Israel

• Posted: 07/29/2014 22:14
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Yes, as far as I know. If the band call it an album, then it's an album. I know of quite a few albums that fall short of the 20-minute mark, including one of my favourites from this year. It's cool, I believe.

Thanks a lot!
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2014 22:34
  • Post subject:
If I had to bet, I'd say no. The definition wasn't so much what defines an EP as it was to define what qualifies as an album on BEA.

I could call my Honda Civic a Ferrari...all that means is it's me calling my Civic something that it's not.

I'd wait for AM to determine it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 07/29/2014 23:01
  • Post subject:
That's a terrible analogy. The difference here is in the artist who made the album calling it an album. The people who make Honda Civics decide that they're Honda Civics, just as an artist who makes a 19-minute album decides that it's an album. I'm all for waiting to see what albummaster's decision is, but surely a website dedicated to finding the best albums of all-time is failing if it starts ruling out actual albums?
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2014 23:11
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
That's a terrible analogy. The difference here is in the artist who made the album calling it an album. The people who make Honda Civics decide that they're Honda Civics, just as an artist who makes a 19-minute album decides that it's an album. I'm all for waiting to see what albummaster's decision is, but surely a website dedicated to finding the best albums of all-time is failing if it starts ruling out actual albums?

So, you're saying that I can make a 2 song single that clocks in at 4:00, call it an album, and that makes it an album?

I'll work on my analogies...but you know what I mean.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 07/29/2014 23:19
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
So, you're saying that I can make a 2 song single that clocks in at 4:00, call it an album, and that makes it an album?

Well that's a bit of a stretch, largely because your record label would probably laugh in your face. But certain punk and indie bands have been known to make albums with 15 or 20 really short songs, and they fall short of 20-minutes. But they were definitely intended as albums. I can't say for sure, but I imagine eyal is talking about a release along these lines, probably with eight or more songs, that the artist in question intended as an album. In which case, it's an album. As I said, one of my favourite albums of this year clocks in at less than 20 minutes. It has ten songs, and is described as an album by both the artist and the record label. Are we going to disagree with the artist and tell them that they're lying and that it isn't an album because it's only 17 minutes long?
eyal91

Israel

• Posted: 07/29/2014 23:24
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

I'll work on my analogies...but you know what I mean.

Yeah, I thought about that too. But technically, if the artist call it an album, then it's an album, no?
However, I think this discussion is unnecessary since only albummaster will decide if it's possible or not.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2014 23:28
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Well that's a bit of a stretch, largely because your record label would probably laugh in your face. But certain punk and indie bands have been known to make albums with 15 or 20 really short songs, and they fall short of 20-minutes. But they were definitely intended as albums. I can't say for sure, but I imagine eyal is talking about a release along these lines, probably with eight or more songs, that the artist in question intended as an album. In which case, it's an album. As I said, one of my favourite albums of this year clocks in at less than 20 minutes. It has ten songs, and is described as an album by both the artist and the record label. Are we going to disagree with the artist and tell them that they're lying and that it isn't an album because it's only 17 minutes long?

What we're really debating here (or what we should be debating) is the BEA definition, not the artists definition. But 15-20 songs, regardless of length, would qualify. As would a two song album at 20 minutes. Your album at 10 songs and less than 20 minutes qualifies. All three meet one of the two criteria, which is all that matters.

I should have entered the conversation by asking the one question that really matters....how many tracks does eyal91's album have? Sorry to get you into a silly debate about the other stuff. Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
eyal91

Israel

• Posted: 07/29/2014 23:33
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
What we're really debating here (or what we should be debating) is the BEA definition, not the artists definition. But 15-20 songs, regardless of length, would qualify. As would a two song album at 20 minutes. Your album at 10 songs and less than 20 minutes qualifies. All three meet one of the two criteria, which is all that matters.

I should have entered the conversation by asking the one question that really matters....how many tracks does eyal91's album have? Sorry to get you into a silly debate about the other stuff. Embarassed

I'm talking about 3 tracks, 2:19, 9:40, 4:02.
Total length: 16:01

The 2 long tracks critera.
  • Visit poster's website