[Closed] B1974 1T: The End by Nico v Taking Tiger Mountain..

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which do you like better?
The End, by Nico
35%
 35%  [7]
Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy), by Brian Eno
55%
 55%  [11]
Like both
5%
 5%  [1]
Didn't like either
5%
 5%  [1]
Total Votes : 20

Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2014 19:01
  • Post subject: [Closed] B1974 1T: The End by Nico v Taking Tiger Mountain..
A current hit on the charts is called "Am I Wrong", by Nico and Vinz.

Today's album is not by that Nico.

Last winter we did the Best Debut Album tournament, won by "The Velvet Underground and Nico". That's the Nico we mean. Her 1974 album was called The End.

The End by Nico, nominated by meccalecca.

Earlier in the tournament, we had an album by Roxy Music. Significantly, it was their first album without their stellar keyboardist, Brian Peter George St.John leBaptiste deLaSalle Eno. He made two albums in 1974, Here Come the Warm Jets, his debut, which you'll be hearing in the next round, and his second album,

Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) by Brian Eno, nominated by Kool Keith Sweat.

Last edited by Listmeister on 08/14/2014 16:38; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 08/12/2014 07:52
  • Post subject:
Nico.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/12/2014 08:04
  • Post subject: Re: Best of 1974 1T: The End by Nico vs. Taking Tiger Mounta
Listmeister wrote:

Earlier in the tournament, we had an album by Roxy Music. Significantly, it was their first album without their stellar keyboardist, Brian Peter George St.John leBaptiste deLaSalle Eno.

Great tournament, Listmeister! Loving your witty synopses to introduce the albums. Just a heads up that Country Life was actually Roxy's second album without Eno. Stranded which came out in 1973 was the first. It's awesome as well, and I highly recommend it. Peace!
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/12/2014 09:11
  • Post subject:
Just for the record, in case anything should happen to me as I try to figure this particular matchup out, here's what was playing as an internal loop in my inner dialog chamber: fuck me

Could be useful data for future generations of neuroscientists in order to help people avoid these sorts of dangerous situations where a critical mental overload is not only possible but quite likely.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2014 12:20
  • Post subject:
God this is unfair. Two of my favorite records of the entire decade. And hell, Eno even plays on this Nico album. This is the 2nd tournament where my John Cale related pick gets pitted against Eno in the first round.

I can't say enough good things about Taking Tiger Mountain. It may be my second favorite Eno album of 1974, but the first is way up on my overall chart. He's got a band here that includes Phil Manzanera and Robert Wyatt. Surprisingly no Fripp.

The End also features an appearance by guitar wiz Manzanera, as well as Eno and Cale.

The End never gets the love of her previous works for some strange reason. It's still weird Nico singing haunted fairytales in a dark disturbing setting. On this record, the harmonium remains the musical focal point, but female backing vocals, Eno's subtle carnival synths and Cale's unlimited contributions provide The End with an atmosphere unlike any of her other albums.

"You Forget to Answer" is an ode to former lover Jim Morrison following his death.

Link

The End is my nomination, and it gets my vote. I hate seeing either exit this early
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/12/2014 12:24
  • Post subject:
Nico, easily. Never could get into Eno's first two unfortunately.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/12/2014 13:13
  • Post subject:
I really like Warm Jets, but Tiger Mountain does nothing for me. Eno's dry vocal style combines with the repetitive arrangements to sound very robotic, at least to my ears. While The End is nowhere near my favorite Nico record, it still takes this one by storm.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/12/2014 13:43
  • Post subject:
Well, I really love Desertshore and Chelsea Girls, but this and The Marble Index have always felt a hell of a lot weaker. I seem to like everything Eno's done, but I stayed away from his '74 stuff because I wasn't into what I'd heard. I decided to give Taking Tiger Mountain a listen today and was pleasantly surprised, so voting for it. Though if it had been Nico's best against Eno's best (Desertshore v.s. Music for Airports), this would be a much tougher matchup for sure.
rustyautoparts

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2014 15:54
  • Post subject:
I've never been able to get into Nico. She's the only thing I don't like about the Velvet's debut. Her voice irritates me probably in the same way Neil Young's voice irritates everybody else. I do love the instrumentation, but that's mostly provided by John Cale (and Brian Eno to a lesser extent). I just don't get her.

Brian Eno, on the other hand, is an artist that I've been meaning to dig deeper into for a while. Only familiar with Music for Airports and Another Green World, both of which I love dearly. After listening to this, I need to expedite my Brian Eno consumption. Just great, forward thinking post-Beatles pop.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/13/2014 01:20
  • Post subject:
FYI, Scaruffi tha don speaks