0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 16

Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2014 13:37
  • Post subject: [Closed] Best of 1974 1U: Unrest vs. Diamond Dogs
Here's me researching this introduction:

"Okay, next bunch of albums... Henry Cow. That can't be right. There's a typo in there, it's probably Henry Crow or something like that."

Nope, it's really Henry Cow. Bovinicus hendricus. The album is Sock Volume 2, more formally known as Unrest.

Unrest by Henry Cow, nominated by HappyMeal.

David Bowie, now him, I did not need to look up. He was at that point in his career needed a follow up to Ziggy Stardust, and was getting tired of the Stardust character. Diamond Dogs is what he came up with.

Diamond Dogs by David Bowie, nominated by BEA.

Last edited by Listmeister on 08/18/2014 19:08; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2014 19:47
  • Post subject:
A Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Back in my day, musicians weren't throwin' their instruments down the stairs, and recordin' the sound the instruments would make as they were falling down the stairs, and slappin' a label on it and callin' it an album. No sir! They made actual tunes that you could sing along with, and nothing ever went down the stairs, except for that one time Cousin Ernest got drunk and fell down the stairs accidentally. But that's the way it was, and we liked it just fine.

Thank you, Grumpy Old Man, for that assessment of the Smelly Sock album.

Vote to the erstwhile Ziggy.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 08/14/2014 19:57
  • Post subject:
Unrest for the whole tourny
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 08/14/2014 21:40
  • Post subject:
Henry Cow is typically considered the best out of all the bigger RIO bands, which is understandable. I honestly love Henry Cow's work. The easiest way to describe it is going to a carnival for the insane. The composition is fabulous throughout and the instruments are played with an insane amount of skill. Henry Cow mainly works because of the insanity of the composition and it's a pretty interesting journey throughout everything the band does. Outside of Secret Treaties, I can't see myself voting against Unrest in this tourney (at least, against the competitors that are currently left).
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2014 13:31
  • Post subject:
Another vote for the sock. Never really listened to Henry Cow before this, but color me impressed. Reminds me a bit of Zorn and the most experimental moments of Disco Volante.

Had it been against a different Bowie album of the 70s, this may have been tougher, but Diamond Dogs has never been one of my favorite Bowie albums. It's more of the transitional record between his greatest 2 periods.
  • Visit poster's website
NickVolos
Segnahc Reve4

Location: Land of the Argonauts, Centaurs and other such creatures
Greece

• Posted: 08/15/2014 14:41
  • Post subject:
Put me down for some good old time rock 'n' roll... I am no intellectual, pseudo or not. Vote to the Dogs.
For worship, being born among these trees?"
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/16/2014 03:32
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Another vote for the sock. Never really listened to Henry Cow before this, but color me impressed. Reminds me a bit of Zorn and the most experimental moments of Disco Volante.

Had it been against a different Bowie album of the 70s, this may have been tougher, but Diamond Dogs has never been one of my favorite Bowie albums. It's more of the transitional record between his greatest 2 periods.

Just had my first listen to Henry Cow, and I'm really impressed. Reminds me a lot of the bands I would catch at this great New York rock club called the Knitting Factory (not sure if it's still around).

I always considered Diamond Dogs to be the weakest of Bowie's 70s albums, but I had a spin today and besides Rock n' roll with Me (which sucks), I was pretty taken aback by how well it works as a collective whole especially with the rather seamless inter-track segues. Its pretty clear that Bowie was going through a Stones phase at this point.

will have to listen to both of these again, but I really like both.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2014 15:16
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Just had my first listen to Henry Cow, and I'm really impressed. Reminds me a lot of the bands I would catch at this great New York rock club called the Knitting Factory (not sure if it's still around).

The old Knit is gone. Saw so many great shows there. I loved that place. They booked such an eclectic variety of gigs. From punk to avant jazz to rap to metal. The one show I'll forever kick myself for missing is ODB performing with Dillinger Escape Plan.

well, back to the Knit. Priced out of Soho, it moved to Williamsburg, ironically to the same location Luna Lounge first attempted to move to (bankrupted after a year or so). And while the space and sound is good, it's a shell of its former self. The booking is uninspired.
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2014 15:24
  • Post subject:
Unrest
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/16/2014 15:35
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
The old Knit is gone. And while the space and sound is good, it's a shell of its former self. The booking is uninspired.

That sucks. that's what made the old Knit so awesome. It was one of the few rock clubs that I'd just show up at not even knowing who was playing because they always booked such solid, interesting, & off-the-radar bands. Bands that I never would have been exposed to otherwise. It really helped broaden my taste in music much more than even CBGBs, Brownies, Wetlands, Pyramid, & hell even Augie's. Bummer. That was kind of their niche.

edit: I honestly can't even imagine ODB fronting Dillinger Escape Plan. Just sounds kind of comical. Mike Patton. Yes! ODB?! Not sure. LOL.