Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/23/2014 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1368): Talking Heads: 77 by Talking Heads
Today's album of the day

Talking Heads: 77 by Talking Heads (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1977.
Overall rank: 540
Average rating: 81/100 (from 256 votes).

Tracks:
1. Uh-Oh, Love Comes to Town
2. New Feeling
3. Tentative Decisions
4. Happy Day
5. Who Is It?
6. No Compassion
7. The Book I Read
8. Don't Worry About The Government
9. First Week/Last Week...Care Free
10. Psycho Killer
11. Pulled Up

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 08/23/2014 20:24
  • Post subject:
Talking Heads are brilliant, and this is no exception. Infectiously catchy while having a tinge of experimentation. Fantastic album.
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 08/23/2014 20:30
  • Post subject:
"you pulled me up pull me up pull me up...
Pulled me up up up up up up up up
"

from what I heard from them, and I'm not a big fan, this is their best point. And before you asking me, yes I like it better than "Remain In light" or fear Of music or their other albums, it's their most cohesive work for me, there are something here that works only in these songs, only in the atmosphere that the album set, that doesn't seem to work in their others, not that they are bad, but it's missing something that was only here. More because, the songs here I can find the quality that I can't find in their other albums, also I don't like the direction where Remain in Lights suddenly takes, this one also gets different, well not so much, but the consistency of these songs in the big circle that was this album makes me like it more. Also for me there are no many great points in Remain in Light and in their other albums, but this one has, from the first song that incorporates the sound of the album until the jumping "pulled up". very good album.
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/23/2014 20:52
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
"you pulled me up pull me up pull me up...
Pulled me up up up up up up up up
"

from what I heard from them, and I'm not a big fan, this is their best point. And before you asking me, yes I like it better than "Remain In light" or fear Of music or their other albums, it's their most cohesive work for me, there are something here that works only in these songs, only in the atmosphere that the album set, that doesn't seem to work in their others, not that they are bad, but it's missing something that was only here. More because, the songs here I can find the quality that I can't find in their other albums, also I don't like the direction where Remain in Lights suddenly takes, this one also gets different, well not so much, but the consistency of these songs in the big circle that was this album makes me like it more. Also for me there are no many great points in Remain in Light and in their other albums, but this one has, from the first song that incorporates the sound of the album until the jumping "pulled up". very good album.

Great post, AP. Yeah, this is their NYC punk rock album. I often wish they'd had done a couple more albums like this before they went all Fourth World-ie. And I LOVE Fear of Music and Remain in Light. Just wish their were couple of more albums on which they sounded like this, because it's such a great sound.

They actually come pretty darn close to approximating this sound again on their live album The Name of This Band Is... Very Happy
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 08/23/2014 21:02
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
They actually come pretty darn close to approximating this sound again on their live album The Name of This Band Is... Very Happy

Gonna take a look in it, it is live so it must contain the heads energy on it, gotta be great, thanks Repoman
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/23/2014 21:08
  • Post subject:
This Talking Heads is the best Talking Heads.
Kiki

• Posted: 08/23/2014 21:11
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
This Talking Heads is the best Talking Heads.

No Once in a Lifetime on it. Not best Talkers album.
nutso42

• Posted: 08/23/2014 23:00
  • Post subject:
Love every Talking Heads album, this one is no different. Though this is the only one where I can totally see it going over at the CBGB.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/23/2014 23:54
  • Post subject:
OK, this is something that would probably be more suited to the controversial opinions thread, but whatever: the Talking Heads were a great singles band and a fairly mediocre album band. Whew, since I've got that off my chest, I'll go ahead and say The Cure were too. That isn't to say I don't enjoy their albums, and this album in particular is right up there among the only Talking Heads ones I actually do enjoy from start to finish, but yeah. I'd rather listen to a best-of from either than any of their respective albums.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/23/2014 23:58
  • Post subject:
^ Disagree, (on both counts), but that's about all I can say about that one since obviously it's a preference. I absolutely adore both bands in their album arena.
  • Visit poster's website