The Jam

View previous topic :: View next topic
Mr. Shankly

United States
  • Posted: 11/15/2010 12:50
  • Post subject: The Jam
When I was 18 and 19, the Jam was my favorite band. I played them so much for the next 2-3 years that I kind of wore them out, and put them on the shelf for a few years. Recently, I've been rediscovering them, and I gotta say, The Jam were an awesome band! Strangely, I don't see them on too many charts or see people mention them around here. I'd argue they made three albums that qualify for best ever status and countless great singles. Some of my favorite songs of theirs include Down in the Tube Station at Midnight, Going Underground, When You're Young, Boy About Town, Smithers Jones, Thick as Thieves and the list goes on and on. Anyone else a fan? Please post comments, videos, etc. This might be their best song:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki
  • Posted: 11/15/2010 13:46
  • Post subject:
I love their debut! I might put it back on my chart if I were to listen to it again.

I listened to Snap! quite a bit in the past too. In The City was a favorite.

Edit: One thing I find interesting about The Jam is how much singles they had while the band went and how well they charted in the UK. They must have been very popular but their hasn't been a resurgence for them. It could be argued that the 90s was but that was more about Paul Waller and his reputation.
Mr. Shankly

United States
  • Posted: 11/21/2010 04:10
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
I love their debut! I might put it back on my chart if I were to listen to it again.

I listened to Snap! quite a bit in the past too. In The City was a favorite.

Edit: One thing I find interesting about The Jam is how much singles they had while the band went and how well they charted in the UK. They must have been very popular but their hasn't been a resurgence for them. It could be argued that the 90s was but that was more about Paul Waller and his reputation.

You should check out All Mod Cons or Setting Sons next.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki
  • Posted: 11/21/2010 18:35
  • Post subject:
I own both on CD Smile

This Is the Modern World is the only I haven't got. I have really found a copy of that yet and have been told not to really bother. Apparently, Paul Weller's songwriting on it is poor.
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 11/21/2010 21:18
  • Post subject:
If I'm not wrong there was a HUGE hype about The Jam in the UK at the closing of the 70s and opening of the 80s (and any hypes were bigger then than they are now due to fewer distribution channels). I don't think that hype went much anywhere outside the UK though which means that their overall status is somewhat that of a cult band, even though they in the UK are more of a past staple, much like the first round of Fleetwood Mac. Personally I think they did some pretty good stuff but no album is strong enough to make my top 100.
  • Visit poster's website