Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 08/30/2014 19:13
  • Post subject:
Antonio Reviews: Doolitle

oi! my name is....never mind you already know....now it's time to review... today's album is the Pixies' Doolittle

action!:

this album has sounds! so it can't be a tribute to John Cage's 4.33'

The first song, wait what the lyrics mean?...what my date will think if I sing it to her?

The guitar sounds like someone is lying in the bed without nothing to do

hey begins with a dude saying actually HEY!

DEBASER!!!!

do Pixies make music? I don't think so, the instruments are too big for them...they can create new instruments for them, it would be better duh

this is my favorite ambient album!

good music!

10/10! perfect Applause Applause Applause
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 08/30/2014 19:32
  • Post subject:
I think the appeal is obvious enough; I mean there's an inherent rapture in shouting something as clearly insane and meaningless as "un chien andalusia" at the top of your voice.
nutso42

• Posted: 08/31/2014 02:58
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
...there's an inherent rapture in shouting something as clearly insane and meaningless as "un chien andalusia" at the top of your voice.

Un Chien Andalusia isn't actually meaningless. It's a reference to a film made by Salvador Dali and Luis Bunuel in 1929.

Also brings great clarity to the line "Got me a movie / Ha ha ha haaaa! / Slicing up eyeballs / Ha ha ha haaaa!"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020530/?ref_=nv_sr_1
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2014 03:54
  • Post subject:
It's on my queue and my mentor at work said he went to a Pixies concert with his daughter, so the Pixies must be good I guess.
  • Visit poster's website
CameronMB
Musicologist

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2014 18:54
  • Post subject:
I don't think you're missing anything. The album is a snooze.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/31/2014 19:10
  • Post subject:
What is it about Doolittle that continues to hold me after a few years of listening to them? It’s a question that I’m not sure I really can answer myself, but I’m not the only one drawn to the frantic guitar-driven rock that plays around with a sound of desperate emotion that does it so much better than their contemporaries. The Pixies are my second favorite band, they are revered as alternative rock’s staple pioneers, and there is something so profoundly special about everything they do on this record. The first time I heard Wave of Mutilation was like a tidal wave of raw, unadulterated sound that for some reason I hadn’t heard before—which was strange indeed since I had been really into music for like two or three years at the time. Something clicked, like it was fate for dissonance in a rock soundscape was what was me all along. Of course all of that sounds pretentious, but it was one of the few times in adulthood and not childhood where something sonically resonated with me on this kind of level.

Forgot I wrote this on my charts.
  • Visit poster's website
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2014 20:23
  • Post subject:
nachosbob wrote:
If it was up to me, Surfer Rosa would be in that spot, but both of those albums seem to stand for accessible metal. Surfer Rosa is more low-fi, Doolittle is more produced

i would agree about Surfer Rosa... it's my favorite Pixies album. to me, they started with their best work and then slipped a bit with each successive album.

i've always thought it had a lot to do with the balance between frank black & kim deal... i think they were at their best when there was a bit more of a balance between the two. as frank took more creative control over their output and kim got shunted further to the side, i think they became less interesting. plus i've always really liked kim... that's why i've followed her post-pixies work and not so much frank's.
  • Visit poster's website
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 08/31/2014 21:30
  • Post subject:
philbutrin wrote:
i've always thought it had a lot to do with the balance between frank black & kim deal... i think they were at their best when there was a bit more of a balance between the two. as frank took more creative control over their output and kim got shunted further to the side, i think they became less interesting.

So true. I still have sentiment for them, I still enjoy them with Paz, and I still find Indie Cindy much above the level of most contemporary bands, but the less Kim was there, the less creative, original and well-balanced they were.

For me, though, while Doolittle preserved the raw power of the debut, it is slightly more consistent than Surfer Rosa.
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2014 21:38
  • Post subject:
Grzywa wrote:
For me, though, while Doolittle preserved the raw power of the debut, it is slightly more consistent than Surfer Rosa.

i'd agree with that. Surfer Rosa is kind of messy and all over the place, but i guess that's part of what i like about it Smile it sounds like a bunch of folks who are having fun making an album.

i also think the switch in producers from Steve Albini to Gil Norton makes a big difference in the sound, and that's part of what gives the two albums their different feel. Albini captured more of the immediacy & playfulness of the band, while Norton brought their songwriting and musicianship more to the forefront.

although Surfer Rosa is my favorite, i still very much like Doolittle.

Doolittle also has some of my favorite 4AD album artwork... i think Simon Larbalestier's photos add an interesting atmosphere to the album, even before the music starts.
  • Visit poster's website
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 08/31/2014 21:57
  • Post subject:
philbutrin wrote:
i'd agree with that. Surfer Rosa is kind of messy and all over the place, but i guess that's part of what i like about it Smile it sounds like a bunch of folks who are having fun making an album.

i also think the switch in producers from Steve Albini to Gil Norton makes a big difference in the sound, and that's part of what gives the two albums their different feel. Albini captured more of the immediacy & playfulness of the band, while Norton brought their songwriting and musicianship more to the forefront.

Yeah, Surfer Rosa has this punk/underground quality to it, the "I don't give a fuck" attitude. Doolittle is much more albumwise, conscious if you like (somehow it would be weird to imagine a banter between Frank and Kim after Monkey Gone to Heaven, wouldn't it ? But the songwriting is still pretty wild and fresh (take Tame or Crackity Jones). They naturally lost it by Bossanova.