Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/30/2014 15:23
  • Post subject:
Looking through some photographs I found inside a drawer
I was taken by a photograph of you
There were one or two I know that you would have liked a little more
But they didn't show your spirit quite as true...

But when you see through love's illusions, there lies the danger
And your perfect lover just looks like a perfect fool...
(Fountain of Sorrow by Jackson Browne)

oh boy. Pictures of You meets The Danger Zone.

ok, I promised Holdenandthejets that i’d check this out (again)….

Late For The Sky by Jackson Browne

He told me to focus on the lyrics which means I need wine. A fine Cabernet Sauvignon pairs rather well with overwrought, relationship-centered lyrics I’ve found. Since I’m pretty much relegated to cheap wine these days (budgetary constraints in the old Repo household I'm afraid), I buy pretty much solely based on the label. Luckily, cheap wines are all about the labels nowadays!!! Very Happy Here’s the bottle I bought today…

Which I bought pretty much because my friend here ( Twisted Evil ) told me too.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/30/2014 15:33
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
He told me to focus on the lyrics which means I need wine. A fine Cabernet Sauvignon pairs rather well with overwrought, relationship-centered lyrics I’ve found. Since I’m pretty much relegated to cheap wine these days (budgetary constraints in the old Repo household I'm afraid), I buy pretty much solely based on the label. Luckily, cheap wines are all about the labels nowadays!!! Very Happy Here’s the bottle I bought today…

Which I bought pretty much because my friend here ( Twisted Evil ) told me too.

Nice choice. I prefer their Carmenere or their Cabernet to their Malbec, but that's a matter of personal taste. For the price, it's a good wine. Tbh I usually go for either that or the Campo Viejo Rioja, depending which one's cheaper on that particular day, and depending on what the weather's like. Nothing better than a Rioja in the sun.

Nice ULL by the way, enjoying it muchly so far.
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/30/2014 16:28
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Nice choice. I prefer their Carmenere or their Cabernet to their Malbec, but that's a matter of personal taste. For the price, it's a good wine. Tbh I usually go for either that or the Campo Viejo Rioja, depending which one's cheaper on that particular day, and depending on what the weather's like. Nothing better than a Rioja in the sun.

Yeah, I really like del Diablo's Cabernet. Will keep my eyes peeled for some Rioja! We've definitely got the sun for it...

Link

How long have I been sleeping
How long have I been drifting alone through the night
How long have I been dreaming I could make it right
If I closed my eyes and tried with all my might
To be the one you need
- Late for The Sky by Jackson Browne

The first track (above), Late for the Sky, is exceptional. It’s everything I love about California Rock from the early 70s. It just oozes with soulful guitar playing and gut wrenching singing & lyrics. Unfortunately, that's far & away the best track from this album. The second song, Fountain of Sorrow, is pretty good if you like Desperado-era Eagles. From there on, things get kind of dire (to me) with two exceptions as I point out with these rough track-by-track notes (exaggerated to make my points)...

Farther On: tries to sing higher than he seems capable of. (reach-grasp ratio) I like his laid back voice but when he tries to reach for the high notes it just sort of makes me nervous. Like he’s about to have a medical emergency of some sort.

The Late Show: the background singers sound like a comical barber’s quartet.

The Road and the Sky: Honky tonk piano based songs are hard to pull off in the first place never mind with Elton John breathing down your neck. Sounds like a cast off Bernie Taupin song that they sold to the Eagles.

For the Dancer: Very Happy Nice, I like this. Until the dancer becomes your own . The violin is awesome and heart felt. Simple, but profound.

Walking Slow: is that a gazoo or someone spitting up? Another subpar piano rocker. The chorus is kind of cheesy. The honkey tonk guitar playing just doesn’t meld with his sensitive singer-songwriter vibe. I love hand claps in songs, but here they sound superfluous, spastic and forced.

Before the Deluge: Very Happy Not bad!!! I love the the Irish fiddle. Plays to his strengths here!
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/31/2014 00:54
  • Post subject:
Woke up crazy early today. 5 am I think. I’ve got a lot of time to kill here in Malaysia so I’ve decided to immerse myself in the BEA’s AOTD routine. I’m on day #4. Let’s see how long this lasts. LOL. So shortly after waking, I fire up my computer to see what my companion will be for today. It’s one of my many faves - The Fall’s This Nation's Saving Grace. Awesome. I upload the album to my my phone using Spotify, and then get ready to go downstairs to my apartment building’s courtyard to do my meditation/exercise program.

I used to scoff at routine. But, like Matt Dillon’s Bob in Drugstore Cowboy I’ve kind of come around to the simple charms of having a routine. Meditation has a lot to do with that. It helps you discover the wonders in what was formerly banal. Even something as routine as boiling hot water and making some tea.

I’ll let Matt Dillon’s Bob explain the charms of leading a “regular life” with Kelly Lynch providing some nice counterpoint.

Link

One of my favorite movies, and a must see if your into William S. Burroughs (like I am). A lot of Matt Dillon’s 80s work is must see Repo TV - The Outsiders, the surreal Rumblefish, Over The Edge (incredible prescient take on suburban teenage angst filmed in 1979!), the underrated, period piece The Flamingo Kid

and the chill-inducing, dark, mind-fuck thriller A Kiss Before Dying.

Matt Dillon's charm and charisma alone carry some of these movies to the next level. An underrated talent back in his heyday.
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/31/2014 04:35
  • Post subject:
Like Skinny, I got into The Residents a couple of years ago via Simon Reynolds' Rip It Up & Start Again..

It is both an exhaustive, encyclopedic survey of the post-punk landscape AND a fascinating, accessible page turner.

For years, I've never quite gotten the music of Jad Fair despite multiple attempts due to his perceived critical importance and work with my fave Daniel Johnston. Well today, I put on this ...

Half Gentlemen / Not Beasts by Half Japanese

...and was blown away by how immediate and engrossing it was despite it never even come close to clicking in the past. I think that's mostly attributable to my discovery and love of...

Meet The Residents by The Residents

It gave me entirely different perspective on approaching music and a toehold into other outsider, willfully amateurish music. I find it fascinating how one album can sometimes break down a wall into a entirely different way of hearing and appreciating music.
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/31/2014 08:17
  • Post subject:
TIME HAS COME TODAY!!! Twisted Evil

Link

Get ready, brothers & sisters! The Repo Man's getting ready to spring into action...

edit: I highly recommend the above track to fans of MC5 in particular and Nuggets-era psychedelic, garage rock in general.
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 08/31/2014 09:54
  • Post subject:
Good morning!!

I've just had a perfect good morning listening to "Late for the Sky"
and I'm listening to "Time has come today" but...am I crazy or they remind me of Rolling Stones ??

little quote/happy morning for u:
"forget what can be forgotten and know yourself to be that which can never be forgotten. You are the substratum on which everything moves, let it move."
Sri H.W.L. Poonja “Papaji
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/31/2014 09:56
  • Post subject:
The Repo Code.

Link

Essential viewing (for both your quality of life and to get the joke below! Very Happy )

Here's the transcript of my first day on BEA when I was PMing Happymeal & Romanelli to see how this place worked...

Repo: So how much do I get paid, twenty-five bucks per car chart or review?
Happymeal: Paid? You don't get paid. Are you kidding, you work for ratings, that's better than getting paid.

Romanelli: Never broke into a car. Never hot-wired a car. Kid. I never broke into a trunk. I shall not cause harm to any vehicle user nor the personal contents thereof. Nor through inaction let that vehicle user or the personal contents thereof come to harm. That's what I call the repo code, kid. Don't forget it, etch it in your brain. Not many people got a code to live by anymore.

Happymeal: Hey! Hey look at that. Look at those assholes (that) over there.

We see a tow truck with a car hanging from it. Four tennis players are running around next to the car and appear to be very agitated.

Happymeal: Ordinary [fucking] people I hate 'em.
Repo: Me too. (Repo says a bit too quickly hoping Happymeal doesn't recognize just how ordinary in fact he is)
Happymeal: What do you know? See an ordinary person spend his life avoiding tense situations. Repoman spends his life getting into tense situations.
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 08/31/2014 09:56
  • Post subject:
ps: love Matt Dillon too Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/31/2014 10:06
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Like Skinny, I got into The Residents a couple of years ago via Simon Reynolds' Rip It Up & Start Again..

It is both an exhaustive, encyclopedic survey of the post-punk landscape AND a fascinating, accessible page turner.

For years, I've never quite gotten the music of Jad Fair despite multiple attempts due to his perceived critical importance and work with my fave Daniel Johnston. Well today, I put on this ...

Half Gentlemen / Not Beasts by Half Japanese

...and was blown away by how immediate and engrossing it was despite it never even come close to clicking in the past. I think that's mostly attributable to my discovery and love of...

Meet The Residents by The Residents

It gave me entirely different perspective on approaching music and a toehold into other outsider, willfully amateurish music. I find it fascinating how one album can sometimes break down a wall into a entirely different way of hearing and appreciating music.

A great read that there book. Bar the odd tracks by the residents I have on comps, I still haven't got round to their albums. That book has given me a big list of stuff to discover. A mate has discovered loads of bands through it. Got his retro mania to read at some point.
  • Visit poster's website