Genre Extravaganza: Poll #2

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which Genre should we tackle next?
Black Metal (Necharsian)
15%
 15%  [8]
Post-Punk (sp4cetiger)
9%
 9%  [5]
Country (samistake2ice)
5%
 5%  [3]
House/Techno (satiemaniac)
13%
 13%  [7]
Electric Blues (NickVolos)
3%
 3%  [2]
Reggae/Dub (NoWaxJim)
13%
 13%  [7]
Drum n' Bass (Tonality)
15%
 15%  [8]
Punk (RepoMan)
5%
 5%  [3]
Indie Pop (Suedeswede/Precedent Tag Team)
18%
 18%  [10]
Total Votes : 53

RepoMan

• Posted: 09/02/2014 10:25
  • Post subject: Genre Extravaganza: Poll #2
Welcome to the SECOND Genre Extravaganza poll.

First, thanks to all who have participated so far in the Genre Extravaganza threads! These threads have already become a vast storehouse of knowledge & discovery. I really don’t think any of us expected them to be quite as good as they’ve been and that owes everything to the hard work of the genre champions thus far - Meccalecca (American Primitive) , dividesbyzero (IDM), Mercury (Country Blues), and Gowi (Stoner Rock).

For those new to the forums since the Genre Extravaganza project kicked off in July with Meccalecca’s dynamite thread on American Primitivism, here’s our basic goal with each genre thread…

1) Provide a Historical Overview of the genre (e.g how it came about, what shaped it, etc.)
2) Recommend the essentials/required listening in any given genre
3) serve as a treasure trove of recs
4) Encourage some great conversations about the bands and the albums in any given genre.

This poll is to select the (sub) genres we will explore next. Next to each genre I have tried to select a potential champion based on their previously stated interest in the Genre Extravaganza project or someone who seems like they’d be a great fit. I ask all these champions to please let me know in this thread if they are (still) willing and interested in spearheading that genre. In a few instances, no champions have been selected, and I’m hoping volunteers for these genres will come forward at this time.

The champion will be responsible for doing some background research on that genre and then get the thread jumpstarted with their overview of said genre along with its essential listening. Afterwards, everyone else is free to jump in with their own opinions, questions, further recommendations, etc. The whole point is to foster ongoing constructive discussion on the amazing bands and albums in that genre.

If anyone wants more detailed information on this project and how to participate, I encourage you to read browse through the following thread…

Genre Extravaganza

Peace!

Get pumped for Skinny’s upcoming thread on Gangster Rap coming soon!!!

Last edited by RepoMan on 09/02/2014 15:18; edited 2 times in total
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/02/2014 10:51
  • Post subject: Re: Genre Extravaganza: Poll #2
RepoMan wrote:

Get pumped for Skinny’s upcoming thread on Gangster Rap coming soon!!!

He loves his gangster rap too... I expect big things.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2014 14:53
  • Post subject:
OK excited for this, but anyone else think we might want to split up punk more? Art punk, pop punk, glam punk, synth punk, skate punk, crust punk, garage punk, hardcore punk, ska punk, dance punk, 2 tone, celtic/gaelic punk, anti-folk, if we wanna get really weird nintendocore, hell, I'd make a case that 924 Gilman Street might deserve its own subgenre (though that's a bit far as really it's just a specifc melodic style of pop-punk with a Ramones interest, hardcore, and early ska punk).

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/02/2014 15:28
  • Post subject:
I think there was a mix-up somewhere because I'm in no way an expert on post-punk (and that's probably overly broad for one of these things anyway).

EDIT: A lot of these categories may be too broad. I think the genre threads work better when they're more specific (for example, outlaw country or nashville sound instead of just country).
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 09/02/2014 16:28
  • Post subject:

well...

Antonio-Pedro some months ago wrote:
I would like to do: Punk (70s era, or after, do it the way you want

I think I'm not welcome anymore

Repo we can work it together if you want to

Last edited by Antonio-Pedro on 09/02/2014 16:29; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/02/2014 16:29
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I think there was a mix-up somewhere because I'm in no way an expert on post-punk (and that's probably overly broad for one of these things anyway).

Ok, no worries. My mistake. I can do it if need be without a problem. If anyone else considers themselves an expert in either punk or post-punk, feel free to volunteer at this stage!

We discussed the issue of genre breadth before at the beginning stages of the Genre Extravaganza project. In particular, we discussed the idea that both post-punk and punk may be too broad. The general consensus at that time was to keep the genres of post-punk and punk broad with the possibility of further division at a later date if those threads became too unwieldy. I think the idea was that certain users were interested in seeing how a genre evolved across years and countries. I wasn't in that camp myself, but I think either approach works fine.

Again, if any given thread becomes too unwieldily, we can always further divide any given (sub)genre as the need dictates.

The discussion on this topic began here and went a couple of pages.

I'm all ears if people want to change this approach at this time. I'm personally pretty flexible about how we tackle this and really just want to get as many users participating as possible.
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/02/2014 16:37
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
well...

I think I'm not welcome anymore

Repo we can work it together if you want to

Haha! You're always welcome, AP! I didn't see you listed as a champion of punk on the first page of the genre extravaganza thread when I created this poll this afternoon. My bad. It would probably be more fun if we tackled it as a team anyways.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/02/2014 16:37
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Ok, no worries. My mistake. I can do it if need be without a problem. If anyone else considers themselves an expert in either punk or post-punk, feel free to volunteer at this stage!

Under normal circumstances, I would just do a lot of research and throw something together anyway, but things are just way too hectic right now (baby due in a month, selling a house, looking for a job, finishing a paper). Ask me again in a few months.

Probably the best thing for me would be one of the much older styles that I explored in my history project (e.g., swing, dixieland, bebop) and that are unfamiliar to most other members.
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 09/02/2014 16:54
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Haha! You're always welcome, AP! I didn't see you listed as a champion of punk on the first page of the genre extravaganza thread when I created this poll this afternoon. My bad. It would probably be more fun if we tackled it as a team anyways.

Yay! it will be great to do a work in team, I don't know too much for now, but I Think we have time so I can drain your knowledge about it. jk, it will be cool. we have time right? I will begin to work and search soon (even that we aren't chosen at least we have it done.
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/02/2014 17:00
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Under normal circumstances, I would just do a lot of research and throw something together anyway, but things are just way too hectic right now (baby due in a month, selling a house, looking for a job, finishing a paper). Ask me again in a few months.

That's what I sort of figured, but I'd forgotten how much craziness was going on to complicate the picture. Keep us updated!!! How exciting and stress inducing (to put it mildly). No worries - I'm having the panic attack for you. Laughing

sp4cetiger wrote:
Probably the best thing for me would be one of the much older styles that I explored in my history project (e.g., swing, dixieland, bebop) and that are unfamiliar to most other members.

Sounds great! We'll throw you in the mix for one of those genres in a couple of months when you have a little bit more sanity in your life. Very Happy

Why don't you list all those relics subgenres here now so that we can throw them onto the first page of the Genre Extravaganza thread.