Genre Extravaganza: Poll on Genre Breadth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What should the scope/breadth of the GE threads be?
Broad (I like to see subgenres bleed into each other, man. It's all about evolution)
43%
 43%  [10]
Narrow (bite size morsels, please)
56%
 56%  [13]
Total Votes : 23

sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/03/2014 16:58
  • Post subject:
As I said in the other thread, I support keeping it narrow. If we try to tackle broad genres, like "punk", I think the discussion will tend to focus on albums and artists that most of us have already heard.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 19:01
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
And how many people should be allowed to react.

Then we have to figure out how many people can react to each reaction. You've gone down a terrible rabbit hole.

I suggest that these genre threads be created at the discretion of the author. If someone really thinks they can handle all of hip hop, have at it. We'll never have to hear from them again, because it'll consume them for months.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/03/2014 19:27
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

I suggest that these genre threads be created at the discretion of the author. If someone really thinks they can handle all of hip hop, have at it. We'll never have to hear from them again, because it'll consume them for months.

...holding up all the other threads.

Of course I support giving the author a lot of discretion, but I don't think there's anything wrong with establishing some rough guidelines going forward. Most of the options in the other poll ("Punk", "Indie Pop", "Post-punk") were all so broad that one of the following things would have happened:

- The author would do as you said, taking months to post. When they finally did, it would be a long and unwieldy mess that would inelegantly cover territory that others could have covered with a briefer, yet more interesting thread.
- The author will just skim the surface, doing a good job of covering the basics, but leaving many of us unfulfilled and wondering why the same information couldn't have been obtained from a Wikipedia article.
- The author will do a shit job, resulting in a lot of complaining and drama.
- The author will give posts that are so thorough and detailed that the author will wonder why they didn't just write a textbook. Very few people will actually read it.

Also, lay off RepoMan, I think he's doing a great job with this and I have no problem with him looking for user feedback.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 19:33
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:

Wasn't really serious. Wa actually trying to point out how consuming doing a vast genre thread would be. American Primitivism is about as narrow as it gets and that was still quite a bit of work. If I had to do an all encompassing indie rock thread, I'd break the internet.
  • Visit poster's website
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 19:42
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:

Of course I support giving the author a lot of discretion, but I don't think there's anything wrong with establishing some rough guidelines going forward. Most of the options in the other poll ("Punk", "Indie Pop", "Post-punk") were all so broad that one of the following things would have happened:

- The author would do as you said, taking months to post. When they finally did, it would be a long and unwieldy mess that would inelegantly cover territory that others could have covered with a briefer, yet more interesting thread.
- The author will just skim the surface, doing a good job of covering the basics, but leaving many of us unfulfilled and wondering why the same information couldn't have been obtained from a Wikipedia article.
- The author will do a shit job, resulting in a lot of complaining and drama.
- The author will give posts that are so thorough and detailed that the author will wonder why they didn't just write a textbook. Very few people will actually read it.

Also, lay off RepoMan, I think he's doing a great job with this and I have no problem with him looking for user feedback.

I actually agree with this.

It's really tough, we essentially have to find "middle-ground" genres.

But the difficult part is determining which ones would be considered middle-ground. Should we just make a large compilation and decide/vote as a group?

Btw I'll be taking over some of HappyMeal's duties and I'm really excited. I apologize for my ignorance yesterday.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/03/2014 19:48
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Wasn't really serious. Wa actually trying to point out how consuming doing a vast genre thread would be. American Primitivism is about as narrow as it gets and that was still quite a bit of work. If I had to do an all encompassing indie rock thread, I'd break the internet.

The problem is that several people have already proposed to do just that...

You did a fantastic job with American Primitivism and all the other threads have been great too, I'm mostly just trying to encourage that we continue along those lines.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 19:52
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
The problem is that several people have already proposed to do just that...

Sorry, my mockery of others was half-assed and not quite as obvious as I should have made it. I'm definitely on board for subgenres.

I must also ad that breaking up punk as something like 70s NYC, British 70s, and West Coast makes sense, because scenes worked that way, naturally stuff like Residents and Devo will never find a proper home in genre discussions, but that's nothing new.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/03/2014 19:53
  • Post subject:
eyezayzay wrote:

But the difficult part is determining which ones would be considered middle-ground. Should we just make a large compilation and decide/vote as a group?

Yeah, I think the way RepoMan and Happymeal have been approaching things so far is great, with the only exception being the breadth of the genres we're voting on.

Quote:
I apologize for my ignorance yesterday.

No worries, I know what it's like to feel left out. Sorry for being a bit snarky, there.

Last edited by sp4cetiger on 09/03/2014 19:54; edited 1 time in total
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/03/2014 19:54
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Sorry, my mockery of others was half-assed and not quite as obvious as I should have made it. I'm definitely on board for subgenres.

Okay, sorry, I guess I completely misread you. Embarassed
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 19:59
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Okay, sorry, I guess I completely misread you. Embarassed

I'm also a pathological liar so it's understandable
  • Visit poster's website