How offensive do you want your music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/09/2014 11:00
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
To say white people are at a party they weren't invited to is incredible racism, ignorance and downright stupidity.

What. Ever. Are. You. Talking. About.

EDIT: sorry, late on the bandwagon, everything that needed to be said about this has been.
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2014 14:58
  • Post subject:
I'm confused. How does telling someone they can't do something because they're not the right race equate to anything other than racism?
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 09/09/2014 15:16
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
I'm confused. How does telling someone they can't do something because they're not the right race equate to anything other than racism?

I'm sorry, please point out where Parrish said this. I'll wait. His argument was against white artists using his (and other producers') sample sources to further their own careers, and he even points out that these comments are in no way aimed at all white artists.

Theo Parrish wrote:
There are a few non black underground dance artists that simply have gravitated to the form because its as free a musical form as you can get. They don’t even care who their music sounds like, they are just trying to express themselves honestly and truthfully. I’m not talking about them. They are rare and appreciated. They are original. Whatever success they garner is deserved.

Like I said, I don't think Parrish's comments were well-put, and I think he makes massive exaggerations in order to fit his agenda, but I don't see how any of what he said qualifies as "racism".
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2014 15:23
  • Post subject:
i definitely don't want music that offends me and preferably music that doesn't offend other people, but the latter happens all the GoD DANG TImE!

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2014 16:41
  • Post subject:
it's very easy to offend. it is much more difficult to inspire.
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2014 17:34
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I'm sorry, please point out where Parrish said this. I'll wait.

I never said anything about Theo Parrish or white people. I'm just saying that it's ass-backward to think a genre of music is owned by the first race to explore it. The last thing music needs is to be segregated.

But that's all I'll say on this because the last thing I need is to be the next guy burnt at the stake for this crap.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 09/09/2014 18:08
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
I'm just saying that it's ass-backward to think a genre of music is owned by the first race to explore it.

Agree.

AlexZangari wrote:
The last thing music needs is to be segregated.

Disagree (to some extent, though I can't say that discouraging certain groups of people from enjoying or indulging in any type of music is ever a good thing). I think recognising and celebrating our differences is an important part of our cultural understanding, and something that can add an even more compelling context to the music we already enjoy. Knowing, for instance, that Dexy's Midnight Runners come from Irish backgrounds and lived in my hometown adds an extra-special element to their music, for me at least, even if it doesn't necessarily impact on how much I enjoy it. Similarly, knowing that techno music was borne out of boredom in industrial Detroit, made by black kids who wanted to escape the grey tower blocks that surrounded them by turning to outer space and a romanticised vision of Europe to get their kicks and to express themselves musically, really does help to give a clue as to the mindset of those making it, and thus a deeper understanding of the music itself, even (again) if it doesn't necessarily impact on how much I enjoy it. The fact that I would call house and techno, as we know them today, musics of black origin does not mean that I don't think white people shouldn't be allowed to enjoy them or integrate themselves into them (I'm white, and these are genres I take massive enjoyment out of listening to at home on my own and out with friends at parties and in clubs). It just means that I'm willing to accept and celebrate our differences in order to gain a greater understanding and appreciation of where this fantastic expression came from. Going back to an earlier thread, I really hate all this "music should be colourblind" crap. Some musics are black musics, some are white musics, and these differences should be acknowledged and lauded, so long as we don't start excluding people on the basis of their race.

Also, just out of interest, if you weren't referring to Parrish's comments, what was your initial post referring to?
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/09/2014 19:05
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:

He doesn't use "race". You just did.
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2014 19:05
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Disagree (to some extent, though I can't say that discouraging certain groups of people from enjoying or indulging in any type of music is ever a good thing). I think recognising and celebrating our differences is an important part of our cultural understanding, and something that can add an even more compelling context to the music we already enjoy. Knowing, for instance, that Dexy's Midnight Runners come from Irish backgrounds and lived in my hometown adds an extra-special element to their music, for me at least, even if it doesn't necessarily impact on how much I enjoy it. Similarly, knowing that techno music was borne out of boredom in industrial Detroit, made by black kids who wanted to escape the grey tower blocks that surrounded them by turning to outer space and a romanticised vision of Europe to get their kicks and to express themselves musically, really does help to give a clue as to the mindset of those making it, and thus a deeper understanding of the music itself, even (again) if it doesn't necessarily impact on how much I enjoy it. The fact that I would call house and techno, as we know them today, musics of black origin does not mean that I don't think white people shouldn't be allowed to enjoy them or integrate themselves into them (I'm white, and these are genres I take massive enjoyment out of listening to at home on my own and out with friends at parties and in clubs). It just means that I'm willing to accept and celebrate our differences in order to gain a greater understanding and appreciation of where this fantastic expression came from. Going back to an earlier thread, I really hate all this "music should be colourblind" crap. Some musics are black musics, some are white musics, and these differences should be acknowledged and lauded, so long as we don't start excluding people on the basis of their race.

I agree with most of this. I'm not saying culture in music is something that should be ignored. If a genre was birthed by a particular culture, that's important to note. But as a genre grows, it shouldn't remain exclusive. The musician shouldn't need to fit the mould of the genre in question in order to be genuine. In fact a lot of genres owe their existence to people from a different background/experience trying their hand at a genre that traditionally was played by another group of people.

Genre genre genre. Christ. I put so many "genre"s in that paragraph you could call it London Calling.

Skinny wrote:
Also, just out of interest, if you weren't referring to Parrish's comments, what was your initial post referring to?

I hadn't seen the comments by Parrish (couldn't find them), I was just commenting on the discussion.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 09/09/2014 19:11
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
I agree with most of this. I'm not saying culture in music is something that should be ignored. If a genre was birthed by a particular culture, that's important to note. But as a genre grows, it shouldn't remain exclusive. The musician shouldn't need to fit the mould of the genre in question in order to be genuine. In fact a lot of genres owe their existence to people from a different background/experience trying their hand at a genre that traditionally was played by another group of people.

I hadn't seen the comments by Parrish (couldn't find them), I was just commenting on the discussion.

Yeah, I'm in agreement. I also largely agree with Parrish's comments, which you can read here if you're interested (and don't particularly mind grammatical errors). He's certainly heavy-handed in making his point, but it's a fair one in my opinion.