New U2 album surprise drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mdemauri

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2014 15:48
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I guess maybe I was just more desirable. or maybe they got in and out without you noticing

Funny thing about this, it is on my iPhone but not in my iTunes library on my laptop. And yes, I will give it a chance. I'm an old school U2 fan. Since Pop their albums have been hit and miss (more miss), but I liked a few songs on No Line On The Horizon.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2014 15:52
  • Post subject:
and it's available for free thru Oct. 13 for those like me who didn't find out about this until at work... wonder if it's any good.
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/10/2014 17:10
  • Post subject:
I liked Atomic Bomb and I have just downloaded this freebie, so let's give it a go.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 09/10/2014 18:21
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
When we talk about artists that can still shift major numbers of albums, digitally and physically, U2 are right up there near the top.

actually, the opposite is true and is the reason why this was such a big deal:

Quote:
Apple didn’t pay a traditional wholesale price for each of the 500 million albums. Instead the company paid Universal and U2 an undisclosed lump sum for the exclusive window to distribute the album. Universal plans to piggyback on the big push for “Songs of Innocence” to promote the band’s 12 older albums, a critical factor for a veteran rock band. The band’s recent albums have shown a steady decline in sales even steeper than the overall industry trend. “No Line on the Horizon,” from 2009, has sold 1.1 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. That’s down from 3.3 million copies for “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb,” and 4.4 million copies for “All That You Can’t Leave Behind,” released in 2000.
As part of the deal forged by the band, manager Guy Oseary (hired by U2 last year to replace longtime manager Paul McGuinness) and Universal, Apple also made plans to use the first single from the album, “The Miracle (of Joey Ramone),” as a central element of a global, 30-day television advertising campaign for its new iPhones and Apple Watch. The campaign is believed to be worth around $100 million, according to a person familiar with the talks.

link
Kiki

• Posted: 09/10/2014 18:26
  • Post subject:
There is little wrong with such a thing satie.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2014 18:28
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
actually, the opposite is true and is the reason why this was such a big deal:

Not sure how that proves the opposite. U2's past albums may be declining in sales faster than the industry trends, but U2 can still sell massive numbers of albums. They have the perfect market to be a top selling band in this era. Wide name recognition, older fans, classic rock radio backing. Kids don't buy music, but older generations still do.
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 09/10/2014 18:33
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Not sure how that proves the opposite. U2's past albums may be declining in sales faster than the industry trends, but U2 can still sell massive numbers of albums. They have the perfect market to be a top selling band in this era. Wide name recognition, older fans, classic rock radio backing. Kids don't buy music, but older generations still do.

yeah, i agree that they still move lots of units, but this gesture was in the name of pursuing a surge in sales for other albums because of financial struggles (on a comparative scale, obviously, since it's not like Bono is one album flop away from being out of house and home or anything). i was merely commenting that it's not some kind of selfless/chill dude release but rather an attempt at maximizing profits on the continued production of their back catalog

not making a moral judgment or claiming that Skinny was either, just trying to round out the context of this release
jlsfourth

• Posted: 09/10/2014 18:34
  • Post subject:
So far, nothing on the album has struck my as great. Maybe that's why it's free. I thought No Line On the Horizon was very good, but this one... maybe I need to listen a few more times
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/10/2014 18:35
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
500 million albums

Shocked

That's more sales than Thriller, Dark Side of The Moon, Led Zeppelin IV, Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, The Wall, Nevermind and Back In Black combined..

I think this makes it indisputably the most legally owned album ever, doesn't it? It wasn't exactly a purchase, but it's still been distributed.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2014 18:42
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
yeah, i agree that they still move lots of units, but this gesture was in the name of pursuing a surge in sales for other albums because of financial struggles (on a comparative scale, obviously, since it's not like Bono is one album flop away from being out of house and home or anything). i was merely commenting that it's not some kind of selfless/chill dude release but rather an attempt at maximizing profits on the continued production of their back catalog

It's a good marketing strategy by the biggest music corporation in the world. I can't imagine anything thinking that U2 is chill or selfless. haha. I'm sure Universal is more concerned about those album sales than U2. A big label like that depends on cashcows like U2 to support the huge advances they give "indie" artists like Best Coast.
  • Visit poster's website