Your Rating Tier System

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2010 19:42
  • Post subject: Your Rating Tier System
In other words, how do you rate your albums?

Here's my little hierarchy for my albums. It's basically a ripoff of this one Russian music blogger's (http://starling.rinet.ru/music/ratings.htm, but that's only because it works.

10.0*: Never to Be Topped- Absolutely perfect. Buy them all now.

9.5*: Immaculately Ideal-Not as shiny as a 10.0, but still mind-blowingly amazing.

9.0*: Close to Perfection- Definitely good enough to reach my chart. Which isn't always an easy thing to do.

8.0-8.5: Simply Excellent-I'm not a big fan of these albums, but I still can't deny their genius.

7.5: Just Very Good- These albums are far from perfect, but they're still fun to listen to every few months, and have at least a few especially strong tracks.

7.0: Good, But Flawed-Decent, but this is where the filler starts to take over.

6.5: Somewhat Mediocre- Has one or two good tracks, at least.

5.0-6.0: Almost below average- Not the worst, but still pretty bad.

3.5-4.5: Plain Bad:

2.0-3.0: Truly Offensive-Artists like Britney and Lady Gaga belong in this circle of Hell.

.5-1.5: Atrocious Beyond All Imagination-Brokencyde, anyone?

*Most of these show up in my chart.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2010 22:05
  • Post subject:
With exceptions:
85-100 Great (Top 3000)
80 Very Good
Below not rated
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 11/30/2010 00:08
  • Post subject:
I just dont think I find any music mind blowing or amazing, maybe im just dull or something. Ive listened to music that made me sit still for a while and really listen when I would otherwise do something productive.

Any album that I took an immediate liking to will be in my chart. I find it hard to rate anything with a number system. but thats just me
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/30/2010 01:30
  • Post subject:
I've simplified my ratings into increments of 10, and rounded up for 8.5s/9.5s, etc.

100/100 = fantastic album, nothing on it that I dislike, but allows for things that could have been improved upon.

90/100 = mostly fantastic, just a few underwhelming moments.

80/100 = very good, but some dull sections. May contain a consistent musical element I dislike.

70/100 = very respectable, just not completely clicking with me.

60/100 = good, just not my cuppa tea.

50/100 = apathy.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 11/30/2010 08:39
  • Post subject:
Mine is usually determined on iTunes song ratings. Then I add up the stars and divide by track number

eg. David Bowie - Station To Station

5 times 5 Star
1 times 4 Star
= 29 divded by 6 (track number)
= 4.875

This album is then rated 97.5%; rounded to 100%

I keep a spreadsheet of the ratings and my top 50 is determined by the highest 50 calculations done as above. I try to keep only 100% albums up there but only 42 albums are at 100% at the moment. I regularly re-rate tracks and therefore albums.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 11/30/2010 10:01
  • Post subject:
My rating system is a little bit more complex: each album receive 2 different sum of points. the first is the average rating of all songs with 4 possible ratings (0,1,2 or 3) which is then multiplied by 19. this first amount of points represents more than 60% of the overall score.

second, a simple sum of points of all tracks in an album (0=0pts, 1=1pts, 2=2pts, 3=4pts), this sum represents less than 40% of the total score.

after that i made a bord where each sum of points represents a specific scale rating:

exemple: Massive Attack - Mezzanine 95/100

0 star: 0
1star : 2
2stars: 6
3stars: 3

first: the average mark = 2.09/3 . 2.09*19 = 39.73
second: sum of tracks points= (0*0+2*1+6*2+3*3)=26

overall sum of points = 65.73

60-66 represents a 95/100 rating.

all the albums in my top 50 have at least 95/100.

This type of rating has the advantage to take in consideration the average "goodness" of an album + the number of good tracks in that album.

i know it seems weird Wink
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/30/2010 10:55
  • Post subject:
My overall album rating system is quite different. In fact, track ratings hardly have any impact on my album ratings. For example, imagine that all the songs on your favourite album were split in two, so you get a bunch of half-songs. The tracks would be worse individually, but the quality of the album as a complete listening experience wouldn't change at all.
I think an album without any 10/10 tracks can be better than an album with mostly 10/10s. That's what I like about albums, they are something more than the sum of their parts. The good ones at least.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/30/2010 13:00
  • Post subject:
cartoken wrote:
My rating system is a little bit more complex: each album receive 2 different sum of points. the first is the average rating of all songs with 4 possible ratings (0,1,2 or 3) which is then multiplied by 19. this first amount of points represents more than 60% of the overall score.

second, a simple sum of points of all tracks in an album (0=0pts, 1=1pts, 2=2pts, 3=4pts), this sum represents less than 40% of the total score.

after that i made a bord where each sum of points represents a specific scale rating:

exemple: Massive Attack - Mezzanine 95/100

0 star: 0
1star : 2
2stars: 6
3stars: 3

first: the average mark = 2.09/3 . 2.09*19 = 39.73
second: sum of tracks points= (0*0+2*1+6*2+3*3)=26

overall sum of points = 65.73

60-66 represents a 95/100 rating.

all the albums in my top 50 have at least 95/100.

This type of rating has the advantage to take in consideration the average "goodness" of an album + the number of good tracks in that album.

i know it seems weird Wink

I actually have a similiar rating system, but I also found out that it works well only with albums that are "collection of songs" and not with (concept) albums like White Album, Spirit of Eden or anything by Pink Floyd. I mean it's hard to rate albums track by track, when one is 20 minutes long, and the other just a couple of minutes.. Also, some of the tracks may sound weaker when not in the context of album (I wonder where Dark Side of the Moon and White Album would rank for me if I used this system).. So while I often use such system to determine ratings of more "conventional" albums (or to determine which album is better), I can't really use it to rate others - what I often do is split and rate the albums on halves (like Side A and B on vinyls), though that's not really perfect either..

In the end is always going to be about your general "feel" and how many times can you relisten an album without it getting old..
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 11/30/2010 13:51
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:

I actually have a similiar rating system, but I also found out that it works well only with albums that are "collection of songs" and not with (concept) albums like White Album, Spirit of Eden or anything by Pink Floyd. I mean it's hard to rate albums track by track, when one is 20 minutes long, and the other just a couple of minutes.. Also, some of the tracks may sound weaker when not in the context of album (I wonder where Dark Side of the Moon and White Album would rank for me if I used this system).. So while I often use such system to determine ratings of more "conventional" albums (or to determine which album is better), I can't really use it to rate others - what I often do is split and rate the albums on halves (like Side A and B on vinyls), though that's not really perfect either..

In the end is always going to be about your general "feel" and how many times can you relisten an album without it getting old..

i completely agree with that, this is why i'm trying to find another system to introduce my feeling about the album and how it resists to time, but obviously, it's statistically much more difficult.

i guess there's no a perfect rating system Wink
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 12/01/2010 02:38
  • Post subject:
I use an average score system at the base. Songs get 1/2 to 5 points using all half steps and the total is divided by the number of tracks. The highest average score I have given an album by this is 4.57 (on the conversion table to the 100 system 4.25 is enough for 100 points).

Then I add or subtract a few points from this to take into account the feel of the album as a whole, as a really good album is more than the sum of its parts.

Generally I consider a 75 point album to be very good, and 80 points is normally enough to include it on my favorites. 90 or more are various degrees of a masterpiece, 60 points is a half decent album, 40 and lower is bad.
  • Visit poster's website