Moderator, New Forum for Tournaments

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Should BEA have separate forums for 'Games' & 'Tournaments'?
Yes
73%
 73%  [11]
No
26%
 26%  [4]
Total Votes : 15

Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 09/22/2014 15:03
  • Post subject: Moderator, New Forum for Tournaments
It has been suggested at http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...;start=220 that we have a Moderator to take charge of scheduling, queuing, planning, etc. of Tournaments.

It might also be a good idea to have a Tournaments forum separate from the Games forum, which is dominated by the tournaments.

Is this do-able?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 09/22/2014 15:42
  • Post subject:
I'm all for a tournament moderator, though I don't think there's a need for a separate tournament forum considering how nearly everything that happens in the games forum is a tournament currently, it's not like there's a whole load of games happening besides tournaments.

• Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2014 12:35
  • Post subject:
Tournaments aren't really an official part of the BEA forums...it's something that people just choose to do. The person who used to kind of oversee the whole thing has been absent a lot lately, so it doesn't get maybe the attention to detail that it used to. But I think that it's ultimately up to the community to keep it together.

Of course, if things do get out of hand, posts can be reported the usual way.

I don't think we need either one.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/23/2014 13:06
  • Post subject:
Agree with Romanelli that it isn't an official part of BEA so the functionality hasn't been developed. From BEA's side, I'm not sure what functionality can be implemented to facilitate this (do we really need anything else?). We already have threads in the Games forum that people can use to schedule tournaments and discuss the rules for each one, and people are already taking on the responsibility for running their own tournaments (which run very well considering people are juggling their offline lives around them). However, if one or members want to become the people that tie this all together, I haven't got a problem with this.
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2014 14:38
  • Post subject:
I think the games and tournaments can be together, but I think it'd be nice to have a sub forum for the completed/closed tournament threads. If the original poster could have the ability to move the threads into the closed sub forum, I think we'd be set!
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2014 17:58
  • Post subject:
I hate to be argumentative, but I'm going to anyway.

PatMan360 wrote:
I'm all for a tournament moderator, though I don't think there's a need for a separate tournament forum considering how nearly everything that happens in the games forum is a tournament currently, it's not like there's a whole load of games happening besides tournaments.

That's exactly my point. Tournaments have completely taken over the Games Forum. Games don't happen in the Games forum anymore because they're overwhelmed by the volume of Tournament Traffic.

Romanelli wrote:
Tournaments aren't really an official part of the BEA forums...it's something that people just choose to do.

The suggestion is, let's make it an official part of the BEA forums. I'm sure The Lounge wasn't an official part of the BEA forums, until someone made it an official part of the BEA forums. And then The Lounge was part of the BEA forums. Officially.

Romanelli wrote:
The person who used to kind of oversee the whole thing has been absent a lot lately, so it doesn't get maybe the attention to detail that it used to. But I think that it's ultimately up to the community to keep it together.

Of course, if things do get out of hand, posts can be reported the usual way.

The thing is, it's not the individual posts that are getting out of hand, it's the volume. People are suggesting tournaments, fun tournaments, exciting tournaments, and are getting shouted down on the grounds that there a bunch of other tournaments in line ahead. That's the problem I'm trying to solve.

I'm not asking for added tournament functionality, just for a separate forum.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 09/23/2014 18:54
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
That's exactly my point. Tournaments have completely taken over the Games Forum. Games don't happen in the Games forum anymore because they're overwhelmed by the volume of Tournament Traffic.

I reckon without the tournaments in the there the games forum would probably become obsolete though, the other games outside of tournaments attract nowhere near as much interest, removing them could kill the games forum.

• Visit poster's website
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 09/23/2014 20:51
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
I reckon without the tournaments in the there the games forum would probably become obsolete though, the other games outside of tournaments attract nowhere near as much interest, removing them could kill the games forum.

I don't think so. There are lots of games threads that aren't used regularly simply because of the fact that they are buried. But people do love them. The listen to the album below you thread is pretty well-loved by the people who use it. And I think separating games and tournaments would serve to make them both more prolific. I pretty much agree with Listmeister word for word in this case. I think we should at least try it and if it doesn't work then revert back to how it was, or have a vote, or something.
satiemaniac

• Posted: 09/23/2014 21:34
  • Post subject:
when i think of music forum games, i think of either tournaments or that obnoxious, awful game where you + and - artists or albums or whatever until one wins. i think the album/song below/above you thing should just be stickied in the Games forum as a big archive of recommendations back and forth between users since it's not really a "game" per se, but a different way of picking out what one listens to
nutso42

• Posted: 09/24/2014 18:39
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:

Agree. When I first came to BEA, the Games forum was hopping with original ideas that I'd check out daily. Now the Games forum is an afterthought for me since I'm getting bloody sick of seeing something posted and a day later being shoved off the page by "Best of 1974: Semifinals: Kimono My House v. Rock Bottom
Best Ever Guitarist: Duane Allman vs. Neil Halstead
[Closed] Best Ever Guitarist: Carlos Santana vs. Ira Kaplan
Pokémon tourney #2 : explanations, brackets, etc.
Best of 1974 4BG: Here Come the Warm Jets v. On the Beach"

There's only two things on the Games forum front page that aren't tourneys. I mean seriously, at least restrict it to one at a time.

If we can't get a moderator for the tourneys, at least boycott the tournament thread until the last one is completed.