Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2014 15:13
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
With that in mind, I bet you'd really, really dig this, newbands...

Throwing Muses (1986) by Throwing Muses

Kristin Hersh is one of the best female singer/songwriters in the indie kingdom.

i love kristin & the muses, but i'm not sure i'd pick the first self-titled album as an entry point for a new listener. i'd probably go with University or The Real Ramona as being more accessible.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/28/2014 15:23
  • Post subject:
philbutrin wrote:
i love kristin & the muses, but i'm not sure i'd pick the first self-titled album as an entry point for a new listener. i'd probably go with University or The Real Ramona as being more accessible.

Definitely The Real Ramona.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/28/2014 15:29
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:

I think The Real Ramona and their debut are both fine places to start. I started with The Real Ramona myself. Not surprisingly, I like their debut better, but both albums are essential college rock imo.
newbands1

• Posted: 09/28/2014 15:32
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:

When trying a new artist I usually pick the first album from their discography that is well received e.g.Bob Dylan rather than start with the Self-titled debut I go for The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.So that way I get to see the artistic growth(or lack of).
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 09/28/2014 15:41
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
I think The Real Ramona and their debut are both fine places to start. I started with The Real Ramona myself. Not surprisingly, I like their debut better, but both albums are essential college rock imo.

My first one was Limbo and I still like their second self-titled a lot too.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/28/2014 15:42
  • Post subject:
newbands1 wrote:
When trying a new artist I usually pick the first album from their discography that is well received e.g.Bob Dylan rather than start with the Self-titled debut I go for The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.So that way I get to see the artistic growth(or lack of).

That's funny. I just wrote something about people starting with Freewheelin' in lieu of his debut in my chart just a couple of weeks ago. I started with Freewheelin' myself for the same reason u gave even though, again like u, I almost always start at the very beginning of an artist's discog. Anyways, I think Dylan's debut is awesome & explain why here...

Repo wrote:
Dylan was a punk rocker, Dylan was a punk rocker!

Yet even Another Side of Bob Dylan. Too rough and raw for the well mannered Greenwich Village folk revival set, Dylan’s debut often gets bypassed by Dylan neophytes. And that’s crazy because this here is the best glimpse of what Dylan was really into (Woody, more Woody, and a white boy take on the rough & tumble delta blues that would make even the Stones proud) and where he would eventually head before he would cover his tracks, crafting the single greatest mystifying mythology of any rocker who chose to stick around.

Dylan’s no fool, he knew which way the wind blew back in the early 60s and promptly put his talents to churning out the best protest folk rock since Woody on the his next three long players until he got big enough & confident enough that he could call his own shots and plug in. At which point his vision had matured enough that he no longer sounded like anything either before or since on Bringing It All Back Home. Those who were surprised or affronted, gawking open mouthed in the first row, had probably never properly digested THIS, his opening remarks.

Aside: Don’t think for a second that I don’t love, love, love Freewheelin’ and ASOBD. As I’ve said before, geniuses like Dylan can transcend whatever genre they put their talents to, even ivory tower protest folk.
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2014 15:47
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:

i got my introduction through Hunkpapa. the self-titled debut came next, and it still holds a special place in my musical heart... i distinctly remember the moment i was sitting in my apartment and "Hate My Way" came on, and i was mesmerized... and then "Vicky's Box", and "Rabbits Dying"... and finally closing with "Delicate Cutters". it's an amazing album, but i know folks who really don't care for it even though they enjoy some of the later albums.

for me, there's not an album in the Muses catalog that i don't like Smile
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/28/2014 15:55
  • Post subject:
philbutrin wrote:
the self-titled debut came next, and it still holds a special place in my musical heart.it's an amazing album, but i know folks who really don't care for it even though they enjoy some of the later albums.

Yeah, I can see that. I had the advantage of kind of knowing how newbands approaches discographies. When I was trying to turn my wife on to Kristin Hersh & The Throwing Muses (my wife was already a Belly fan) though, I burnt her The Real Ramona for her car. My wife prefers bright, clean production. Sad
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 09/28/2014 16:01
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Yeah, I can see that. I had the advantage of kind of knowing how newbands approaches discographies. When I was trying to turn my wife on to Kristin Hersh & The Throwing Muses (my wife was already a Belly fan) though, I burnt her The Real Ramona for her car. My wife prefers bright, clean production. Sad

Limbo and their second self-titled were pretty clean and crisp by Throwing Muses' standards.
  • Visit poster's website
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2014 16:03
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Yeah, I can see that. I had the advantage of kind of knowing how newbands approaches discographies. When I was trying to turn my wife on to Kristin Hersh & The Throwing Muses (my wife was already a Belly fan) though, I burnt her The Real Ramona for her car. My wife likes bright, clean production. Sad

i was introduced to them pretty randomly... i was at a friend's house and we were hanging out and listening to music, and she pulled Hunkpapa out of her collection and told me that someone had given it to her and she hated it, so she offered it to me.

i'd never heard of the band, so i gave it a spin... the little guitar intro to "Devil's Roof" started, then the drums kicked in, and then kristin started singing... to this day it remains one of my favorite songs. i've always been a fan of female vocalists who don't have traditionally beautiful voices, so that helped Smile
  • Visit poster's website