Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/01/2014 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1407): I See A Darkness
Today's album of the day

I See A Darkness by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1999.
Overall rank: 548
Average rating: 80/100 (from 163 votes).

Tracks:
1. A Minor Place
2. Nomadic Revery (All Around)
3. I See A Darkness
4. Another Day Full Of Dread
5. Death To Everyone
6. Knockturne
7. Madeleine-Mary
8. Song For The New Breed
9. Today I Was An Evil One
10. Black
11. Raining In Darling

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 10/01/2014 20:37
  • Post subject:
One of my favorites, it really is like coming to terms with mortality.
Kiki

• Posted: 10/01/2014 20:42
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
One of my favorites, it really is like coming to terms with mortality.

Quite a wonderful claim for an indie album. I like to think song writing can do such things and more.
Saoirse

• Posted: 10/02/2014 17:46
  • Post subject:
The best. Not so much a standard apocalyptic album than just contemplating your existience if you we're among the last humans living on earth. Stark, with astonishing brevity given such weighty topics, from one of the greatest and most underrated songwriters of the modern age.
satiemaniac

• Posted: 10/02/2014 20:11
  • Post subject:
i used to hate this album.
i used to also believe in Social Darwinism, so...
Kiki

• Posted: 10/02/2014 20:16
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
i used to hate this album.

Oh so what does this mean in your words? Smile It's a bit too much to take in (read through) searching online. Thank you
undefined

• Posted: 10/02/2014 20:18
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:

based on several posts of this ilk I can only gather that you were at one point a staunch Randian. Seems we've come a long way Razz

Anyway this is a great album
satiemaniac

• Posted: 10/02/2014 20:24
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
Oh so what does this mean in your words? Smile It's a bit too much to take in (read through) searching online. Thank you

i'm not gonna derail this thread over this, but essentially it's an interpretation of Darwin that takes his ideas and applies them to social "evolution." the big proponents of this interpretation have been fascists and laissez-faire capitalists. the former viewed certain powerful individuals as more suited to leadership and power based on having evolved better, kind of tautologically justifying the oppressive structures of fascist societies. the latter view free-market economics as being a system in which Darwinian natural selection can be observed, with those best adapted towards survival in a cutthroat, competitive market necessarily coming out on top (there's the implicit notion of "deserving" this "objectively," which is the real kicker) and those who don't not (formerly extended to being that they just weren't as evolved but as that position has eroded by the scientific community's outspoken admonishment of such troublesome interpretations of human evolutionary patterns in the wake of eugenics and the such, this becomes more implicit and background).

tl;dr: People using a truly (politically and scientifically) radical (anti-divine plan [divine providence anointing certain chosen people as leaders in monarchies or whatever], anti-slavery [Darwin's theory relies on and has subsequently been used to prove human genome similarities across racial and class divides]) scientific position to justify being small-minded Western exceptionalists who want to exploit and rape the working class. The only person more horribly misunderstood (and to similarly disastrous effect) in the scientific world in my estimation is Thomas Malthus, who has been used to justify everything from genocide to nuclear war.

dividesbyzero wrote:
based on several posts of this ilk I can only gather that you were at one point a staunch Randian. Seems we've come a long way Razz

"staunch" is kind of the wrong word to use for a seventh grader's political views, but you caught me. Razz
Kiki

• Posted: 10/02/2014 20:31
  • Post subject:
Thank you satiemaniac for replying Smile I don't understand either paragraph I am afraid so I couldn't learn anything. Sorry Sad
satiemaniac

• Posted: 10/02/2014 20:36
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
Thank you satiemaniac for replying Smile I don't understand either paragraph I am afraid so I couldn't learn anything. Sorry Sad

Darwin's theory of evolution -> politically motivated assholes pretend that it is an observation on human behavior and social relations instead of floral and faunal physiological adaptations -> these assholes create various political systems either based on or half-assedly retroactively justified by this quackery of an interpretation -> genocides, eugenics, structural oppression, TED talks on evolutionary psychology