Release day

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/05/2014 17:38
  • Post subject: Release day
Was browsing through unmoderated albums recently added, and one thing that really bugs me (it's happened to LPs I've introduced myself) is how the site will not accept post-99 LPs or flag them as invalid if the release date, complete with the exact day of the week and time, is not given.

I understand how this is a valid issue for 2014 albums, as it's a way of verifying if the album wasn't just added after a leak and prior to its official release. However, with albums as recent as 2013, I don't see the point. Most often than not I'll have the CD at home, and I can tell you that precise day in December (or was it November?) 2003 when the record hit the stores IS NOT INDICATED. And according to his fairly new rule, the album will get the awe-inspiring red cross when you look at it because you didn't buy the record on its birthday and didn't keep the receipt.

Could we just keep this release day thing for the current year only?
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2014 17:49
  • Post subject:
It takes a minute and a half (or less) to check the release date and add it to BEA. The albums being flagged, by the way, are from 2004 and forward. It's good info to have, and some of us do find it to be useful (sorry you don't).

Exact day of the week and time is exaggerating REALLY a lot. Month and date is all it's asking for.

Some of us are working very hard on this, and shelving it at this point would take a whole lot of work (thousands of albums have been updated) that has already been done into the "never mind" category.

This is a change that was decided on a long time ago. You'll live through it.

Or...you could help...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/05/2014 17:53
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
some of us do find it to be useful (sorry you don't).

To each his own. May I inquire how it is useful except for '14 releases?
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2014 18:03
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
To each his own. May I inquire how it is useful except for '14 releases?

For me, I have always kept the full release date (month/day/year) in my records. I have a spreadsheet listing my entire collection, and this has always been part of it. BEA not having this info has always felt incomplete to me. I'm sure it's not as important to some, but there are people who find the info helpful and useful. It's too bad that the entire release date wasn't included from the start of BEA...it sucks having to go to another site for the info.

BEA doesn't flag all of the albums at once. It's a maintenance project that is taking a bit of time. But once it's done, you won't see it anymore. In the meantime, if anyone wants to pick up easy mod points...they're right there for anyone to grab. Right now, 14,695 albums worth.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 10/05/2014 18:34
  • Post subject:
While this topic has been brought, when will the release dates be displayed off the admin page? Will it be this year or the next?
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/05/2014 18:37
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
While this topic has been brought, when will the release dates be displayed off the admin page?

Dec. 9th 2014.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2014 02:00
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
For me, I have always kept the full release date (month/day/year) in my records. I have a spreadsheet listing my entire collection, and this has always been part of it. BEA not having this info has always felt incomplete to me. I'm sure it's not as important to some, but there are people who find the info helpful and useful. It's too bad that the entire release date wasn't included from the start of BEA...it sucks having to go to another site for the info.

Well that's great for you, but I'm sorry, I gotta raise the flag here. Some release dates are nearly impossible to find. Do you know when Arcade Fire's debut EP dropped? Nor does the band. Nor does the internet. Same with Story of the Year by Big Blue Monkey (AKA Story of the Year). But that's shortly pre-2004. I'm sure everything post 2004 is available. Right? Wrong.

Unknown Release Dates Include (this means these will be flagged and hypothetically removed from the site):

Piracy Funds Terrorism by MIA and Diplo
Negatives by Phantom Planet
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
We (Don't) Care by MGMT
5 Stories by Manchester Orchestra
Good Answer by The Spinto Band
All Day: Nike+ Original Run by Aesop Rock

Some might be saying "So what? Yeah, those are notable bands, but obscure releases in most cases." How about albums which have "release dates" that make either no sense (see: The Dopamines [Remastered Edition] came out 3 years before The Dopamines according to most sources) or vary by a few days, or even several years? Some don't even have dates associated, just years and months. Those include:

Hurtbreak Wonderland by World's End Girlfriend (20 charts)
The Dopamines by The Dopamines (2 charts)
Young Mountain by This Will Destroy You (13 charts)
RawHyde by Jeremiah Jae and Oliver The 2nd (4 charts and upcoming tournament)
I Thought I Was an Alien by Soko (9 charts)
Fine Line by The Papersons (5 charts)
Cross Paths by The Motifs (31 charts)
鳥が歌う by kyooo (4 charts)
What I Want From You Is Sweet by Orion Rigel Dommisse (6 charts)
Mature Themes by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti (27 charts)
Glimmer by Jacaszek (10 charts)
Songs for Adverts by Dave (5 charts)
New Brigade by Iceage (42 charts)
Radio Tank Mix by AG Cook (9 charts)
Summer Fiction by Summer Fiction (3 charts)
Square by Buck 65 (16 charts, 17 once I update my overall tonight)
Ciao!Baby by The Marshmallow Kisses (3 charts)
San Fermin by San Fermin (13 charts)
The Back Room by Editors (71 charts)
Prophet by Ramona Falls (6 charts)
Tears You Apart by Finish Ticket (3 charts)
A Fever You Can't Sweat Out (31 charts)
Demons and Lakes by Ravenna Woods (2 charts)
Support Mistley Swans by Dingus Khan (4 charts)
Infinity by Chance Waters (1 chart)
Silent Alarm by Bloc Party (281 charts)
Oh No by OK Go (7 charts)
Wicked Man's Rest by Passenger (4 charts)
Walking Down Rainhill by Jake Shimabukuro (1 chart)
A Weekend in the City by Bloc Party (74 charts)

Are we really going to delete all of those? Are we going to take 40% of Brandon's top ten off the site? Just guesstimate the dates, furthering the confusion that exists over these albums? Some of us might even know, and if so, that's great. Maybe some of us know the artists and can ask them. But I doubt it.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/06/2014 09:51
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Well that's great for you, but I'm sorry, I gotta raise the flag here. Some release dates are nearly impossible to find. Do you know when Arcade Fire's debut EP dropped? Nor does the band. Nor does the internet. Same with Story of the Year by Big Blue Monkey (AKA Story of the Year). But that's shortly pre-2004. I'm sure everything post 2004 is available. Right? Wrong.

Unknown Release Dates Include (this means these will be flagged and hypothetically removed from the site)

Any album where the release date can't be located, just flag them up on the admin page with a comment to say you can't find a date & there's a hidden flag that can be updated which will stop the system continually nagging for the data. If a release date can't be located, it's not the end of the world, the album will still be displayed as it is now with just the year and/or month.

Once a reasonable percentage of albums have been updated, the information will be displayed on the album pages and can also be used to compile & sort various charts e.g. new releases, anniversaries etc. In most cases, the release date can be found on other websites using the same search that people already use to locate the artwork or track-listing. There were originally over 20,000 albums released since 2004 that didn't have a release date on BEA. As Romanelli says, we are now down to under 15,000 so we are making steady progress.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2014 01:45
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Any album where the release date can't be located, just flag them up on the admin page with a comment to say you can't find a date & there's a hidden flag that can be updated which will stop the system continually nagging for the data. If a release date can't be located, it's not the end of the world, the album will still be displayed as it is now with just the year and/or month.

So I'm sorry, but does flagging for deletion actually not mean anything? I feel like just flagging 1000s of albums for deletion, including at least one member of our top 500 albums is more than a little wrong. I understand that there are some things the dates would be useful for but I think it's flawed to flag any albums missing the dates, and on a less important note I personally think it's extra and useless information.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2014 02:16
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
So I'm sorry, but does flagging for deletion actually not mean anything? I feel like just flagging 1000s of albums for deletion, including at least one member of our top 500 albums is more than a little wrong. I understand that there are some things the dates would be useful for but I think it's flawed to flag any albums missing the dates, and on a less important note I personally think it's extra and useless information.

And some of us think that adding the whole genre thing is extra and useless information.

Don't think of them as being flagged for deletion, but rather for more info. Which we are working hard to get completed. Nothing is being deleted.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website