CLOSED - 750: Round 1: Tha Carter III v. Super Tight

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album would you like to see advance?
Tha Carter III
27%
 27%  [5]
Super Tight
72%
 72%  [13]
Total Votes : 18

Precedent

• Posted: 10/28/2014 00:22
  • Post subject: CLOSED - 750: Round 1: Tha Carter III v. Super Tight
Captain: Precedent

Tha Carter III by Lil Wayne

v.

Captain: Skinny

Super Tight by UGK

Last edited by Precedent on 11/02/2014 21:09; edited 1 time in total
Precedent

• Posted: 10/28/2014 00:25
  • Post subject:
Tha Carter III

It's not the most lyrical album in the genre, but Hip-Hop doesn't need to be lyrical. The production is unlike anything that I've heard, the rhymes are thoughtful and you can tell that Wayne put thought into this project. I don't dislike Super Tight, but there isn't much in this tournament that I'd put above Tha Carter III.

That production is too good
undefined

• Posted: 10/28/2014 01:03
  • Post subject:
lil Wayne gets way more hate than he deserves, and Tha Carter III is a genuinely interesting and enjoyable hip-hop album through-and-through. Still not half as dope as UGK tho, (of course not much is)
Happymeal

• Posted: 10/28/2014 02:15
  • Post subject:
Ridin' Dirty is an album I can get behind completely as it does everything so perfectly. This is especially true because of the masterpiece "One Day". However, Super Tight is not a preference of mine anymore and Tha Carter III does do some interesting things, but Wayne's voice is extremely irksome (still) so it's abstain for me.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/28/2014 10:40
  • Post subject:
Lil Wayne's dope, and Tha Carter III might be his most accessible record, probably not quite as good as Tha Carter II or Dedication 2 but dope nonetheless. It's fun as fuck, is the most focused record in his discography, and it's the album that finds the best balance between his triumphant hip-hop royalty side and his somewhat weirder tendencies in terms of flow and non-sequiturs. But it's up against one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever, an album built on a bed of sticky, sweaty, syrupy funk, an almost perfect blend of samples and live instrumentation, one which helped to define a thoroughly Southern style of hip-hop (great as it may be, Scarface's The Diary - another Southern hip-hop classic from the same year - relies on a distinctly West Coast g-funk sound to help add to its sense of almost frightening nonchalance). Pimp C will never be remembered as one of the most naturally talented rappers ever, but he has an immediately recognisable voice and a slew of hilarious quotables, and his slightly unhinged style acts as the perfect foil for Bun B's deep, anchored voice and measured flow. While Bun B in particular would grow to become a much more capable rapper than he is on Super Tight, the two still retain a chemistry throughout that makes them my favourite rapping duo in all of hip-hop (apologies to Tip & Phife and Big Boi & Dre and Ghost & Rae, among others). Super Tight isn't gonna inspire revolution or academic lyrical dissection, and many would argue it's not even UGK's best (though I'd have to disagree), but Super Tight is an extremely important record in the development of Southern hip-hop, a warm album whose guitar licks and laid-back tinkling keys and thick organ swells recall a day partying in the park (in oppressively hot weather), and one of the best albums the genre has to offer, serving up classic track after classic track of some of the funkiest, most authentic hip-hop ever recorded.
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2014 16:37
  • Post subject:
While I prefer Ridin Dirty to Super Tight, ST is very good and still better than NEH NEH NEH NEH NEH NEH LIKE A LOLLIPOP. This is the album that Weezy fell off on (he was better on his mixtapes and first two Carters. I may check out his new album that he dropped today though).
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 10/28/2014 21:29
  • Post subject:
I'm listening to and enjoying Tha Carter III. Super Tight is at another level though.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 10/29/2014 18:04
  • Post subject:
Easily the toughest battle in this particular batch. These albums are just so different.

Tha Carter III is one of the best crossover hip albums I've ever heard. Inventive, playfully twisted & omnivorous.

Meanwhile, Super Tight is just a sick listen and hits my sweet spot for dark & claustrophobic albums. Skinny describes it perfectly as "sticky, sweaty, syrupy funk." There's no way I'm showering after listening to this one.

Love them both. Will sit on this for few days.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 10/29/2014 20:44
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
dark & claustrophobic albums

Maybe I haven't given enough attention to the lyrics, but to me it sounds super fun and sunny, and literally the opposite of dark and claustrophobic Laughing Like, it's totally something I could listen to while drinking some pastis next to a swimming pool on a hot summer day.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 10/29/2014 21:11
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Maybe I haven't given enough attention to the lyrics, but to me it sounds super fun and sunny, and literally the opposite of dark and claustrophobic Laughing Like, it's totally something I could listen to while drinking some pastis next to a swimming pool on a hot summer day.

Really? Interesting. The whole world slowed down when I put Super Tight on. It's a total weed album for me. Felt lazy & laconic. I'll listen to it again (& again) though. That was just my first impression, & I was taking care of my two daughters at the time.

edit: I can totally see what u mean with the song "It's Supposed to Bubble."That's the perfect song for what you're talking about. Now I'll have to see if I can track down some pastis. Laughing

edit2: Ok, you're totally right, drak. It's not really claustrophobic at all. With tracks like "Pocket Full of Stone", "Protect & Serve," & "It's Supposed to Bubble" this plays more like a G-Funk party album. Damn. I had high hopes. Razz I prefer tracks like "Stoned Junkee," "Underground," "Return" & especially "I Left It Wet For You." Really sublime shit though & my two year old daughter loves dancing to this too. She's going to be trouble. She knows she's cute da little stinker.